Old 04-23-2008, 05:12 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default RHCE Training

I am possibly going to be sent for my RHCE training.
Looking at https://www.redhat.com/courses/rh300_rhce_rapid_track_course_and_rhce_exam/details/
I am thinking the concepts do not look difficult at all, having a manual and instructor makes this look fairly easy actually.

The only thing that looks important to take outside of this would be rh253 if I wasn't interested in taking the elementary courses.

Anyone done the VT courses? To fit within the budget and get what I think I need, I might take the rh253vt before the rh300.

Any thoughts or pointers from guys here who have done all this?

Thanks!
jlc

Old 04-23-2008, 05:27 PM
Barry Brimer

Quoting "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale@ActiveNetwerx.com>:

> I am possibly going to be sent for my RHCE training.
> Looking at

https://www.redhat.com/courses/rh300_rhce_rapid_track_course_and_rhce_exam/details/
> I am thinking the concepts do not look difficult at all, having a manual and
> instructor makes this look fairly easy actually.
>
> The only thing that looks important to take outside of this would be rh253 if
> I wasn't interested in taking the elementary courses.

RH253 is a detail course, and will dig deeper into the topics at hand. RH300 is
just as it states is a rapid track course .. which does not have as much detail
in it. If you have a decent amount of real world experience with the RH300
topics, I see no need to take RH253.

> Anyone done the VT courses? To fit within the budget and get what I think I
> need, I might take the rh253vt before the rh300.

I have not taken any VT courses.

> Any thoughts or pointers from guys here who have done all this?

Know the material well. Time management is important.

HTH,

Barry (RHCE, RHCDS, RHCA)

Old 04-23-2008, 06:01 PM
"Shawn Everett"

There used to be an RHCE self assessment feature on the Red Hat site. If
you pass that reasonably well you should be just fine to take the RHCE
exams. I took the rapid track exam and passed with no problems.

My advice for the exams would be don't over think the questions and know
which man pages have examples you can gain experience from.
Interestingly the pass rate isn't as high as I would have thought.

Shawn

Old 04-25-2008, 04:04 AM
Christopher Chan

My advice for the exams would be don't over think the questions and know
which man pages have examples you can gain experience from.
Interestingly the pass rate isn't as high as I would have thought.

Ha! I heard a story from someone back in 2001 that a company sent twelve
of their staff on a complete RHCE course, that is, through the basics
all the way to the RH300. Only 2 got passing grades but not enough to
get the certificate (things were a bit different then...it was a three
part exam consisting of MC, Troubleshooting and Installation/Setup).

If anything, this is a good thing so we do not get paper RHCEs.

Old 04-25-2008, 02:37 PM
"Winslett, Chris"

My scores below. What sucks is I missed SECTION I by one command (which
I looked up shortly after); ext2online still haunts me.

SECTION I: TROUBLESHOOTING AND SYSTEM MAINTENANCE
RHCE requirements: completion of compulsory items (50 points)
overall section score of 80 or higher
RHCT requirements: completion of compulsory items (50 points)

Compulsory Section I score: 50.0
Non-compulsory Section I score: 20.0
Overall Section I score: 70

SECTION II: INSTALLATION AND CONFIGURATION
RHCE requirements: score of 70 or higher on RHCT components (100 points)
score of 70 or higher on RHCE components (100 points)

RHCT requirement: score of 70 or higher on RHCT components (100 points)

RHCT components score: 100.0%
RHCE components score: 92.9%

RHCT Certification: PASS
RHCE Certification: NO PASS