Old 04-23-2008, 02:56 AM
"Matt Shields"

Default OT -Recommendations relating to a Password Safe

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Clint Dilks <clintd@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> Hi Everyone
>
> I am wondering if many people are using software that acts as a password
> safe. And if so can you recommend any software in particular?
>
> I know many people will disagree with this idea, and I myself have always
> followed the printed list stored in a secure location. But in our
> particular situation keeping this single list current and correct while
> ensuring that regular password changes happen is turning into a nightmare.
>
> Any suggestions welcome, have a nice day

Check out PasswordSafe and KeePass. They are both very good.

--
-matt

Old 04-23-2008, 03:15 AM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Matt Shields <mattboston@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 10:23 PM, Clint Dilks <clintd@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote:
> > I am wondering if many people are using software that acts as a password
> > safe. And if so can you recommend any software in particular?
>
> Check out PasswordSafe and KeePass. They are both very good.

The problem I see with those is that they admit only one master
password. That means if a team has to share a list of passwords, they
all have to know the same master password for the password safe.

The real solution to me is something like "gpg", where each user has
their own private key and you can encrypt a file with several public
keys, so that any one of the keys can decrypt it. However, "gpg" works
better on a Unix console type of environment, I don't know of good
front-ends for it, specially on Windows. PGP is an option, it's
commercial now though, the freeware version is not available anymore.

Filipe

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM
Paul Heinlein

I am wondering if many people are using software that acts as a
password safe. And if so can you recommend any software in
particular?

I just use gpg with a Makefile wrapper. "make view" and "make edit"
are the targets:

----- %< -----
#
# for viewing/editing password database
#

FILEPLAIN = pwdb.txt
FILECRYPT = $(FILEPLAIN).gpg
GPG = gpg
GPGID = heinlein@madboa.com
RM = /bin/rm -i
VI = vim

all: help

help:
@echo "targets:"
@echo " edit -- to edit the data file"
@echo " view -- to view the data file"

edit:
@umask 0077; $(GPG) --output $(FILEPLAIN) --decrypt $(FILECRYPT)
@$(VI) $(FILEPLAIN)
@umask 0077; $(GPG) --encrypt --recipient $(GPGID) $(FILEPLAIN)
@$(RM) $(FILEPLAIN)

@umask 0077; $(GPG) --decrypt $(FILECRYPT) | less

----- %< -----

Old 04-23-2008, 10:56 PM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Wed, Apr 23, 2008 at 11:27 AM, Paul Heinlein <heinlein@madboa.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 23 Apr 2008, Clint Dilks wrote:
> > I am wondering if many people are using software that acts as a password
> > safe. And if so can you recommend any software in particular?
>
> I just use gpg with a Makefile wrapper. "make view" and "make edit"
> are the targets:

I was actually working on a frontend to gpg to view encrypted files in
Windows. I just uploaded the project to SourceForge. It's a portable
application (It's self contained and doesn't leave traces on the
machine. It can be copied to a USB pen drive and carried around).

If you need something like that, check it out at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/gpgview/

Filipe