Old 04-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Al Sparks

Default mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /blah busy

How do I go about troubeshooting this? I'm using RHEL 4 update 6.

mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /blah busy

It's actually an iSCSI LUN (NetApp filer). I successfully configured (ext3) and mounted it, but when I rebooted, the /dev/sdb1 device/partition is seen by the kernel and it shows up with "fdisk -l".

Nevertheless I get that error. I've tried "umount" and am informed that /blah isn't mounted. I've tried "lsof" and don't find a process that's attached to /blah.

I also tried "fsck -t ext3 /dev/sdb1" which worked (so it detects the ext3 file system).

Any other tools to check out?
=== Al

Old 04-23-2008, 12:25 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Wednesday 23 April 2008 02:39:41 Al Sparks wrote:
> How do I go about troubeshooting this? I'm using RHEL 4 update 6.
>
> mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /blah busy
>
> It's actually an iSCSI LUN (NetApp filer). I successfully configured
> (ext3) and mounted it, but when I rebooted, the /dev/sdb1 device/partition
> is seen by the kernel and it shows up with "fdisk -l".
>
> Nevertheless I get that error. I've tried "umount" and am informed that
> /blah isn't mounted. I've tried "lsof" and don't find a process that's
> attached to /blah.

Hi,
Maybe this:
1. Remove the entry from /etc/fstab, reboot.
2. Try to mount it manually. If it works, then something's wrong with the
iscsi startup.

http://linux2.arinet.org
07:25:40 up 23 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:49 AM
Wojtek Pilorz

On Tue, Apr 22, 2008 at 12:39:41PM -0700, Al Sparks wrote:
> How do I go about troubeshooting this? I'm using RHEL 4 update 6.
>
> mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /blah busy
>
> It's actually an iSCSI LUN (NetApp filer). I successfully configured (ext3) and mounted it, but when I rebooted, the /dev/sdb1 device/partition is seen by the kernel and it shows up with "fdisk -l".
>
> Nevertheless I get that error. I've tried "umount" and am informed that /blah isn't mounted. I've tried "lsof" and don't find a process that's attached to /blah.
>
> I also tried "fsck -t ext3 /dev/sdb1" which worked (so it detects the ext3 file system).
>
> Any other tools to check out?
cat /proc/mounts
cat /proc/mounts | grep sdb1

You could possibly have /dev/sdb1 already mounted at some different mount point.
If that doesn't help, look for aliases for sdb1 in /dev

> === Al

Regards,

Wojtek

Old 04-23-2008, 09:43 AM
James Pearson

Al Sparks wrote:

How do I go about troubeshooting this? I'm using RHEL 4 update 6.

mount: /dev/sdb1 already mounted or /blah busy

It's actually an iSCSI LUN (NetApp filer). I successfully configured (ext3) and mounted it, but when I rebooted, the /dev/sdb1 device/partition is seen by the kernel and it shows up with "fdisk -l".

Nevertheless I get that error. I've tried "umount" and am informed that /blah isn't mounted. I've tried "lsof" and don't find a process that's attached to /blah.

I also tried "fsck -t ext3 /dev/sdb1" which worked (so it detects the ext3 file system).

Any other tools to check out?

Do you have an entry for /dev/sdb1 in /etc/mtab ? If so, try manually
removing that line and try the mount again.

James Pearson