FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-22-2008, 05:49 AM
"gopinath"
 
Default network Interface

When i run a mii-tool
*
it displays no MII transcievers present
!!!
*
if i run ifconfig it displays the eth0 its ip and
Hwaddress
*
if*i ping to the eth0 ip it
pings.
*
if i ping to some other ip on Lan no response is
coming.
*
This all happens in Cent OS 4.2
*
if i boot to Centos 5.1 or Redhat 7.3 the pc is
able to communicated to everyone on the networks.
*
Please help me out.
*
*
Regards,
Gopinath M
Signal Networks Pvt.
Ltd.
*

Smile... it increases your face
value!

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-22-2008, 08:54 AM
"William L. Maltby"
 
Default network Interface

On Tue, 2008-04-22 at 11:19 +0530, gopinath wrote:
> When i run a mii-tool
>
> it displays no MII transcievers present !!!
>
> if i run ifconfig it displays the eth0 its ip and Hwaddress
>
> if i ping to the eth0 ip it pings.
>
> if i ping to some other ip on Lan no response is coming.
>
> This all happens in Cent OS 4.2
>
> if i boot to Centos 5.1 or Redhat 7.3 the pc is able to communicated
> to everyone on the networks.
>
> Please help me out.

"man mii-tool"

Says it is obsolete and directs you to ethtool. "man ethtool" might be
your solution?

>
>
> Regards,
> Gopinath M
> <snip sig stuff>

>

--
Bill

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-22-2008, 11:23 PM
Robert Spangler
 
Default network Interface

On Tuesday 22 April 2008 01:49, gopinath wrote:

> if i run ifconfig it displays the eth0 its ip and Hwaddress
>
> if i boot to Centos 5.1 or Redhat 7.3 the pc is able to communicated to
> everyone on the networks.
>
> Please help me out.

How about check the configs against one another on all 3 systems. Could be
you just fatfingered something when setting up.


--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!
Linux User #296285
http://counter.li.org
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-23-2008, 08:19 PM
adrian kok
 
Default network interface

Hi all

How can I bring up eth0:2 only

"ifconfig eth0:2 up" is not working

I have to use service network restart

But it restarts all network interfaces that I don't
want

Thank you


Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-23-2008, 08:29 PM
Barry Brimer
 
Default network interface

> Hi all
>
> How can I bring up eth0:2 only
>
> "ifconfig eth0:2 up" is not working
>
> I have to use service network restart
>
> But it restarts all network interfaces that I don't
> want

I believe you have to have eth0 up for that to work. You can add
"ONPARENT=no" to the other virtual interfaces to keep them from starting
on a service network restart.
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-23-2008, 09:00 PM
"Bob Beers"
 
Default network interface

On Tue, Dec 23, 2008 at 4:19 PM, adrian kok <adriankok2000@yahoo.com.hk> wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How can I bring up eth0:2 only
>
> "ifconfig eth0:2 up" is not working

wouldn't it be 'ifup eth0:2' ?


-Bob
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-23-2008, 09:12 PM
Robert Moskowitz
 
Default network interface

adrian kok wrote:
> Hi all
>
> How can I bring up eth0:2 only
>
> "ifconfig eth0:2 up" is not working
>

have you tried ifup eth0:2 ?

> I have to use service network restart
>
> But it restarts all network interfaces that I don't
> want
>
> Thank you
>
>
> Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-24-2008, 03:42 AM
Gopinath Achari
 
Default network interface

use

ifup eth0:2

On Wednesday 24 December 2008 02:59, Barry Brimer wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > How can I bring up eth0:2 only
> >
> > "ifconfig eth0:2 up" is not working
> >
> > I have to use service network restart
> >
> > But it restarts all network interfaces that I don't
> > want
>
> I believe you have to have eth0 up for that to work. You can add
> "ONPARENT=no" to the other virtual interfaces to keep them from starting
> on a service network restart.
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

--
Regards,
Gopinath M
Network Admin
Signal Networks Pvt. Ltd.
Bangalore - 01

Smile it increases your face value

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 12-24-2008, 09:56 AM
adrian kok
 
Default network interface

it is up now

why it shows "RTNETLINK answers: File exists"

# ifup eth0:2 up
RTNETLINK answers: File exists
RTNETLINK answers: File exists

Thank you


--- Robert Moskowitz <rgm@htt-consult.com> wrote:

> adrian kok wrote:
> > Hi all
> >
> > How can I bring up eth0:2 only
> >
> > "ifconfig eth0:2 up" is not working
> >
>
> have you tried ifup eth0:2 ?
>
> > I have to use service network restart
> >
> > But it restarts all network interfaces that I
> don't
> > want
> >
> > Thank you
> >
> >
> > Send instant messages to your online friends
> http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
> > _______________________________________________
> > CentOS mailing list
> > CentOS@centos.org
> > http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
> >
> >
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>


Send instant messages to your online friends http://uk.messenger.yahoo.com
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 06:47 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org