Old 04-21-2008, 07:37 PM
John

Default enable bootsplash

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 21:17 +0200, David Hláčik wrote:
> Hi, how do i enable boot splash (graphical boot) in CentOs5.1 ?
> I am in init 5, i have updated from minimal install to GNOME using yum
> groupinstall.
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> David

Would be /etc/inittab
id:3:initdefault:
Chang that line to read id:5:initdefault:, you just replace 3 with 5.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-21-2008, 07:42 PM
John

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:23 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> David Hlcik wrote:
> >
> > Hi, how do i enable boot splash (graphical boot) in CentOs5.1 ?
> > I am in init 5, i have updated from minimal install to GNOME
> > using yum groupinstall.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> # yum install rhgb
>
> Make sure you have 'rhgb' as a kernel parameter for each kernel
> in /boot/grub/menu.lst that you want to have a graphical boot
> for.
>
> If you want graphical boot you probably qant to use the 'quiet'
> kernel parameter too.
>
> I've never seen much need for the kernel messages at boot
> anyways, they scroll by so fast the only way your going to see
> them is on a serial console with scroll back buffer. There is
> always 'dmesg' to see these after start up.
>

> -Ross

Maybe I am not understanding his question? I am under the impression
when you group install the gui and change the boot init level to 5 it
will boot in graphical? Has worked for me on sever console only servers.

> This e-mail, and any attachments thereto, is intended only for use by
> the addressee(s) named herein and may contain legally privileged
> and/or confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient
> of this e-mail, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this e-mail, and any attachments thereto,
> is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
> please immediately notify the sender and permanently delete the
> original and any copy or printout thereof.

~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-21-2008, 08:05 PM
"Ross S. W. Walker"

John wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 15:23 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> > David Hlcik wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi, how do i enable boot splash (graphical boot) in CentOs5.1 ?
> > > I am in init 5, i have updated from minimal install to GNOME
> > > using yum groupinstall.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!
> >
> > # yum install rhgb
> >
> > Make sure you have 'rhgb' as a kernel parameter for each kernel
> > in /boot/grub/menu.lst that you want to have a graphical boot
> > for.
> >
> > If you want graphical boot you probably qant to use the 'quiet'
> > kernel parameter too.
> >
> > I've never seen much need for the kernel messages at boot
> > anyways, they scroll by so fast the only way your going to see
> > them is on a serial console with scroll back buffer. There is
> > always 'dmesg' to see these after start up.
> >

> > -Ross
>
> Maybe I am not understanding his question? I am under the impression
> when you group install the gui and change the boot init level to 5 it
> will boot in graphical? Has worked for me on sever console
> only servers.

Aye, but you will not get the graphical start-up screen unless
'rhgb' (Redhat Graphical Boot) is installed. Since the OP had
stated he is in runlevel 5 I assume he is getting the graphic
login (gdm or whatever), but had to deal with seeing it start
up in text mode. Also since he updated from minimal install
he probably didn't have the luxury of having anaconda
pre-select rhgb for him.

Also, for the OP, I think you need to install the bitmap fonts
for the 'rhgb' to work properly. Don't know why upstream didn't
make a dependency of them for 'rhgb', oh well.

-Ross

Old 04-21-2008, 08:43 PM
John

On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 16:05 -0400, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
> John wrote:

> > > # yum install rhgb
> > >
> > > Make sure you have 'rhgb' as a kernel parameter for each kernel
> > > in /boot/grub/menu.lst that you want to have a graphical boot
> > > for.
> > >
> > > If you want graphical boot you probably qant to use the 'quiet'
> > > kernel parameter too.
> > >
> > > I've never seen much need for the kernel messages at boot
> > > anyways, they scroll by so fast the only way your going to see
> > > them is on a serial console with scroll back buffer. There is
> > > always 'dmesg' to see these after start up.
> > >

> > > -Ross
> >
> > Maybe I am not understanding his question? I am under the impression
> > when you group install the gui and change the boot init level to 5 it
> > will boot in graphical? Has worked for me on sever console
> > only servers.
>
> Aye, but you will not get the graphical start-up screen unless
> 'rhgb' (Redhat Graphical Boot) is installed. Since the OP had
> stated he is in runlevel 5 I assume he is getting the graphic
> login (gdm or whatever), but had to deal with seeing it start
> up in text mode. Also since he updated from minimal install
> he probably didn't have the luxury of having anaconda
> pre-select rhgb for him.
>
> Also, for the OP, I think you need to install the bitmap fonts
> for the 'rhgb' to work properly. Don't know why upstream didn't
> make a dependency of them for 'rhgb', oh well.
>
> -Ross

K, makes some sense to me now.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:49 PM
"David Hláčik"

Hi guys, yes really all i needed was to add rhgb parameter to grub.conf.
Basically i was doing minimal network install first time. Then later installed using yum groupinstall, GNOME Desktop graphic enviroment group of packages and also others. What i found is that GNOME Desktop graphic environment as a dependency installed also rhgb rpm package, but it was on me, to add rhgb to grub.conf as there was not script to do it. I believe that it is done by anaconda installer for the first time and if the rhgb package or graphic environment is not selected during install, then later it is on you to add rhgb parameter (and also quiet optional) to grub.conf

*
Thanks!

D.