Old 04-21-2008, 07:28 AM
"hamood Iqbal"

Default GUI

Hi,

i am happy user of Centos 5.1 . i have installed Zimbra , Zenoss and
webmin for testing purposes.
Everything was going fine until yesterday when ever i want to go to
yumex Gui it does not open, same with add and remove software when i
click it , it does not open.

also when i go to "services" gui same is happening. Yesterday i
updated the system and rebooted still the problem remains.

everything is fine if i do it through the terminal. but when i want to
access services , network , yumex , add & remove software they dont
start. other programs like Ooffice work.

if i check in the terminal they are working.

So what is happening ? please help in this matter.

i am using centos 5.1 on vmware server 1.0.3. will install on a
production server soon.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 09:51 AM
Ralph Angenendt

hamood Iqbal wrote:
> everything is fine if i do it through the terminal. but when i want to
> access services , network , yumex , add & remove software they dont
> start. other programs like Ooffice work.
>
> if i check in the terminal they are working.

So if you type "yumex" in a gnome terminal, it is coming up correctly?

Ralph

Old 04-21-2008, 10:11 AM
"hamood Iqbal"

when i type on terminal "yumex" as root i get this:

[root@ce ~]# yumex
yumex: /opt/zenoss/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available
(required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/yumex/yumex.py", line 29, in ?
import gtk,gobject
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 48, in ?
from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2: undefined symbol: FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden
[root@ce ~]#

So what should i do?

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 10:35 AM
Ralph Angenendt

hamood Iqbal wrote:
> when i type on terminal "yumex" as root i get this:
>
> [root@ce ~]# yumex
> yumex: /opt/zenoss/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available
> (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
> Traceback (most recent call last):
> File "/usr/share/yumex/yumex.py", line 29, in ?
> import gtk,gobject
> File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 48, in ?
> from gtk import _gtk
> ImportError: /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2: undefined symbol: FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden
> [root@ce ~]#

So zenoss replaced some libs and packages from CentOS do not work
anymore. Shouting at Zenoss would be one solution. The other one would
be to remove the zenoss stuff from /etc/ld.so.conf and/or
/etc/ld.so.conf.d/* - but then probably zenoss won't work anymore.

Ask them to fix it, as RPMs they ship for a certain host system should
not break that system.

Ralph

Old 04-21-2008, 10:39 AM
Johnny Hughes

hamood Iqbal wrote:

when i type on terminal "yumex" as root i get this:

[root@ce ~]# yumex
yumex: /opt/zenoss/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available
(required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/share/yumex/yumex.py", line 29, in ?
import gtk,gobject
File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/gtk-2.0/gtk/__init__.py", line 48, in ?
from gtk import _gtk
ImportError: /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2: undefined symbol: FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden
[root@ce ~]#

So what should i do?

First ... you should not top post to the mailing list There are some
guidelines to posting on the Mailing Lists here:

http://www.centos.org/modules/tinycontent/index.php?id=16

Specifically, we prefer the "Interleaved text" method described here:

On to your question ...

It looks like you have a version of libpng12.so.0 that does not have
something that is needed by the rest of the system.

The "/opt/zenoss/lib/libpng12.so.0" seems to no like
FT_GlyphSlot_Embolden that is in /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2.

What probably needs to happen is that you need to install the CentOS
version of libpng from our updates repository which contains
/usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 and it has all the right things for the other GUI
apps.

I have no idea how you installed zenoss or if it needs a custom libpng
library, but the one you have installed is not working with CentOS.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes

Old 04-21-2008, 12:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Hamood Iqbal wrote on Mon, 21 Apr 2008 06:11:12 -0400:

> yumex: /opt/zenoss/lib/libpng12.so.0: no version information available

> So what should i do?

I remember someone posting about problems with Zenoss very recently. It seems I
deleted those postings, but I think it was you. AFAIR, everyone told you that
Zenoss installs a bunch of software that replaces the already existing CentOS
software and that's why you hit various problems. To me it looks like you are
still struck/stuck with the same problem. In this case it seems that Zenoss
replaced the information about where to look for libraries with its own path as
the library that the system would normally use is at /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0.
There's a tool called ldconfig which might help to sort this out. Maybe Zenoss
just added itself before the normal ldconfig search path, look in /etc/ld.so.conf
and /etc/ld.so.conf.d.
If you insist on messing up your CentOS system with Zenoss (at least it looks like
Zenoss in the way you install it does that) then you would be better off to ask
for help on the Zenoss forums as they should know what it does and should also be
able to recommend a better way of installing it or a Linux distribution that fits
better with it.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 10-05-2010, 06:12 AM
Nathan O

Probably not allowed to do so, but I figured I would ask. In a PKGBUILD can
we do something like:

echo "Do you want to enable GTK support?"
read gtk

if [[ "gtk" == "yes" ]]; then
./configure --with-gtk

and so on.

Thanks

Old 10-05-2010, 06:25 AM
Ike Devolder

2010/10/5 Nathan O <ndowens.aur@gmail.com>

> Probably not allowed to do so, but I figured I would ask. In a PKGBUILD can
> we do something like:
>
> echo "Do you want to enable GTK support?"
> read gtk
>
> if [[ "gtk" == "yes" ]]; then
> ./configure --with-gtk
>
> and so on.
>
> Thanks

Are'nt you generally better of with gentoo if you want this behaviour ?

if not would it be nicer to ask the questions, "do you want gtk gui ? (y/n):
_"

Old 10-05-2010, 06:30 AM
Gordon JC Pearce

On Tue, 2010-10-05 at 01:12 -0500, Nathan O wrote:
> Probably not allowed to do so, but I figured I would ask. In a PKGBUILD can
> we do something like:
>
> echo "Do you want to enable GTK support?"
> read gtk
>
> if [[ "gtk" == "yes" ]]; then
> ./configure --with-gtk
>
> and so on.
>
> Thanks

I thought that PKGBUILDs were not supposed to have any "interactive"
component?

Gordon MM0YEQ

Old 10-05-2010, 06:32 AM
"Allan McRae"

Probably not allowed to do so, but I figured I would ask. In a PKGBUILD can
we do something like:

echo "Do you want to enable GTK support?"
read gtk

if [[ "gtk" == "yes" ]]; then
./configure --with-gtk

and so on.

PKGBUILDs are not supposed to be interactive. Leave a comment in the
PKGBUILD telling users to add/remove that flag to their needs.

Allan