Old 04-20-2008, 09:31 AM
"Bernd Bartmann"

Default Logrotate problem after start of DST

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 11:06 AM, Bernd Bartmann
<bernd.bartmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> since the start of the daylight savings time my server has a problem
> with the log files. Sunday night the log files get rotated correctly,
> i.e. /var/log/messages gets /var/log.messages.1, /var/log/messages.1
> get /var/log/messages.2, ... The problem now is that after log
> rotation new messages do no go to /var/log/messages, but to the
> rotated file. As DST started 3 weeks, the latest log entries now go to
> /var/log/messages.3. This happens to all other log files too. Even
> after rebooting the server new log entries go to /var/log/messages.3
> instead of /var/log/messages.
>
> Any ideas why this happens and how to fix this problem?

Now after another reboot nothing is logged at all anymore :-((
syslogd and klogd are running but nothing gets written to any logfile.

Best regards,
Bernd.

Old 04-20-2008, 04:06 PM
Jay Leafey

Bernd Bartmann wrote:

[...]

Don't know if it was related, but I had a similar problem at about the
same time, syslog was running but no messages. With nothing in the logs
it's tough to troubleshoot!

After perusing the audit logs (not controlled by syslogd) I found where
it was complaining about the security context on /etc/services. It
appeared that the context had been munged right around the DST change,
so I used 'restorecon -v /etc/services' to fix it. Restarted syslog
afterwards and everything seems fine.

Hope your's is that easy to fix!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey@mindless.com

Old 04-20-2008, 05:04 PM
"Bernd Bartmann"

On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 6:06 PM, Jay Leafey wrote:
> Bernd Bartmann wrote:
> > Now after another reboot nothing is logged at all anymore :-((
> > syslogd and klogd are running but nothing gets written to any logfile.
>
> Don't know if it was related, but I had a similar problem at about the same
> time, syslog was running but no messages. With nothing in the logs it's
> tough to troubleshoot!
>
> After perusing the audit logs (not controlled by syslogd) I found where it
> was complaining about the security context on /etc/services. It appeared
> that the context had been munged right around the DST change, so I used
> 'restorecon -v /etc/services' to fix it. Restarted syslog afterwards and
> everything seems fine.
>
> Hope your's is that easy to fix!

Thanks! Indeed it seems to be SElinux related. In the meantime I did:

touch /.autorelabel
reboot

After the reboot everything is working normally again.

Best regards,
Bernd.