Old 04-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Olaf Mueller

Default What is wrong with yum?

Hello,

in my CentOS-Base.repo file there is a line
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch
and yum update said 'nothing to do'. Then I change this line to
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.1/updates/i386 and yum
updates firefox, squid, sos and so on. That happens on two of my
computers, reproducible.

Does yum sometimes forget it's release version?

regards
Olaf

Old 04-19-2008, 07:17 PM
"Jim Perrin"

On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Olaf Mueller <daily-planet@istari.de> wrote:

> Does yum sometimes forget it's release version?

It shouldn't, unless the distroverpkg definition in /etc/yum.conf is
wrong, or the package that distroverpkg references is out of date.

What do you have listed there, and what's the output of rpm -q
whatever-package-it-is ?

George Orwell

Old 04-19-2008, 07:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Olaf Mueller wrote on Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:14:35 +0200:

> Does yum sometimes forget it's release version?

what is the version string in your centos-release file?

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-19-2008, 08:50 PM
Olaf Mueller

Kai Schaetzl wrote:

Hello,

> Olaf Mueller wrote on Sat, 19 Apr 2008 20:14:35 +0200:
>
>> Does yum sometimes forget it's release version?
> what is the version string in your centos-release file?
there is only an redhat-release file under /etc/.

# cat /etc/redhat-release
CentOS release 5 (Final)

regards
Olaf

Old 04-19-2008, 08:56 PM
Olaf Mueller

Jim Perrin wrote:

Hello,

> On Sat, Apr 19, 2008 at 2:14 PM, Olaf Mueller
> <daily-planet@istari.de> wrote:
>
>> Does yum sometimes forget it's release version?
>
> It shouldn't, unless the distroverpkg definition in /etc/yum.conf is
> wrong, or the package that distroverpkg references is out of date.
>
> What do you have listed there, and what's the output of rpm -q
> whatever-package-it-is ?
in /etc/yum.conf there is 'distroverpkg=redhat-release' listed.

# rpm -qf /etc/redhat-release
centos-release-5-1.0.el5.centos.1

Everything seems to me ok so far. Maybe this is a problem with my squid
server? I will test this.

regards
Olaf

Old 04-20-2008, 06:54 PM
Johnny Hughes

Olaf Mueller wrote:

Hello,

in my CentOS-Base.repo file there is a line
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/$releasever/updates/$basearch
and yum update said 'nothing to do'. Then I change this line to
baseurl=http://mirror.centos.org/centos/5.1/updates/i386 and yum
updates firefox, squid, sos and so on. That happens on two of my
computers, reproducible.

Does yum sometimes forget it's release version?

Changing to 5.1 instead of 5 (which is the default) will result in not
getting updates when we move to 5.2.

The fact that is says nothing to do can be caused by cached metadata
(and shifting from $releasever to 5.1 will cause that to download over
again).

yum clean metadata

then

yum upgrade

might be better to try.

Also PLEASE REMEMBER ... $releasever is not 5.1 or 5.2 .. it is 5.