Old 04-19-2008, 01:40 PM
Craig White

Default Another samba problem

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> My server is CentOS with samba 3.0.25b. One client box runs Mandriva 2007.1
> with samba 3.0.24. I can see the client box from the server, but the client
> box can't see the server. It can see the laptop on the same lan, though.
>
> Any suggestions as to what I could check? I know Craig said there had been
> some significant changes in recent versions. Are any of those changes likely
> to have an impact on this?
----
are they on the same subnet?

it almost sounds like firewall rules are in the way.

Always check first from localhost and then from another machine...

from localhost...

smbclient -L localhost
smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME # which is the hostname unless you set
something
# different in smb.conf

then from another computer...

smbclient -L IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM
smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME

if localhost & IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM work but NETBIOSNAME doesn't work,
you've got a problem with name resolution.

Craig

Old 04-19-2008, 02:46 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 19 April 2008 14:40:36 Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > My server is CentOS with samba 3.0.25b. One client box runs Mandriva
> > 2007.1 with samba 3.0.24. I can see the client box from the server, but
> > the client box can't see the server. It can see the laptop on the same
> > lan, though.
> >
> > Any suggestions as to what I could check? I know Craig said there had
> > been some significant changes in recent versions. Are any of those
> > changes likely to have an impact on this?
>
> ----
> are they on the same subnet?
>
> it almost sounds like firewall rules are in the way.
>
> Always check first from localhost and then from another machine...
>
> from localhost...
>
> smbclient -L localhost
> smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME # which is the hostname unless you set
> something
> # different in smb.conf
>
> then from another computer...
>
> smbclient -L IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM
> smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME
>
> if localhost & IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM work but NETBIOSNAME doesn't work,
> you've got a problem with name resolution.

All four requested the user password, then returned a summary of the shares.
The LAN name is correct. The client in question, though, is names as master,
which it shouldn't be.

Anne

Old 04-19-2008, 03:05 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 15:46 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008 14:40:36 Craig White wrote:
> > On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 13:55 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> > > My server is CentOS with samba 3.0.25b. One client box runs Mandriva
> > > 2007.1 with samba 3.0.24. I can see the client box from the server, but
> > > the client box can't see the server. It can see the laptop on the same
> > > lan, though.
> > >
> > > Any suggestions as to what I could check? I know Craig said there had
> > > been some significant changes in recent versions. Are any of those
> > > changes likely to have an impact on this?
> >
> > ----
> > are they on the same subnet?
> >
> > it almost sounds like firewall rules are in the way.
> >
> > Always check first from localhost and then from another machine...
> >
> > from localhost...
> >
> > smbclient -L localhost
> > smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME # which is the hostname unless you set
> > something
> > # different in smb.conf
> >
> > then from another computer...
> >
> > smbclient -L IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM
> > smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME
> >
> > if localhost & IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM work but NETBIOSNAME doesn't work,
> > you've got a problem with name resolution.
> >
> All four requested the user password, then returned a summary of the shares.
> The LAN name is correct. The client in question, though, is names as master,
> which it shouldn't be.
----
LAN NAME? what's a LAN NAME?

There's a WORKGROUP concept in samba...

any machine on the subnet should give the same answer with the following
command...

nmblookup -M WORKGROUP # obviously substitute for the 'WORKGROUP'
whatever name
# you use for workgroup

This is a live broadcast poll of the subnet and reply should come from
the 'Browse Master' from the most recent 'election' - elections occur
every 15 minutes by design.

If you are getting different results from the same subnet on different
machines then, as I suggested on the thread on fedora-list, make sure
that all the Linux systems on the LAN set os level = 20 (the default)
except for the one you want to be the master where it's set to os level
= 65

Craig

Old 04-19-2008, 03:24 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 19 April 2008 16:05:09 Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 15:46 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > ----
> > > are they on the same subnet?
> > >
> > > it almost sounds like firewall rules are in the way.
> > >
> > > Always check first from localhost and then from another machine...
> > >
> > > from localhost...
> > >
> > > smbclient -L localhost
> > > smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME # which is the hostname unless you set
> > > something
> > > # different in smb.conf
> > >
> > > then from another computer...
> > >
> > > smbclient -L IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM
> > > smbclient -L NETBIOSNAME
> > >
> > > if localhost & IP_ADDRESS_OF_SYSTEM work but NETBIOSNAME doesn't work,
> > > you've got a problem with name resolution.
> >
> > All four requested the user password, then returned a summary of the
> > shares. The LAN name is correct. The client in question, though, is
> > names as master, which it shouldn't be.
>
> ----
> LAN NAME? what's a LAN NAME?

OK - workgroup name, if you prefer it.

> There's a WORKGROUP concept in samba...
>
> any machine on the subnet should give the same answer with the following
> command...
>
> nmblookup -M WORKGROUP # obviously substitute for the 'WORKGROUP'
> whatever name
> # you use for workgroup
>
> This is a live broadcast poll of the subnet and reply should come from
> the 'Browse Master' from the most recent 'election' - elections occur
> every 15 minutes by design.
>
> If you are getting different results from the same subnet on different
> machines then, as I suggested on the thread on fedora-list, make sure
> that all the Linux systems on the LAN set os level = 20 (the default)
> except for the one you want to be the master where it's set to os level
> = 65

The laptop I'm working from and the client in question both return exactly the
same -

nmblookup -M lydgate.lan
querying lydgate.lan on 192.168.0.255
192.168.0.30 lydgate.lan<1d>

The server has os level = 66 set. The client doesn't have any setting at all
for os level so should be working at the default. 192.168.0.30 is the badly
behaved client, not the server.

Anne

Old 04-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 16:24 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008 16:05:09 Craig White wrote:

> > > All four requested the user password, then returned a summary of the
> > > shares. The LAN name is correct. The client in question, though, is
> > > names as master, which it shouldn't be.
> >
> > ----
> > LAN NAME? what's a LAN NAME?
> >
> OK - workgroup name, if you prefer it.
>
> > There's a WORKGROUP concept in samba...
> >
> > any machine on the subnet should give the same answer with the following
> > command...
> >
> > nmblookup -M WORKGROUP # obviously substitute for the 'WORKGROUP'
> > whatever name
> > # you use for workgroup
> >
> > This is a live broadcast poll of the subnet and reply should come from
> > the 'Browse Master' from the most recent 'election' - elections occur
> > every 15 minutes by design.
> >
> > If you are getting different results from the same subnet on different
> > machines then, as I suggested on the thread on fedora-list, make sure
> > that all the Linux systems on the LAN set os level = 20 (the default)
> > except for the one you want to be the master where it's set to os level
> > = 65
> >
> The laptop I'm working from and the client in question both return exactly the
> same -
>
> nmblookup -M lydgate.lan
> querying lydgate.lan on 192.168.0.255
> 192.168.0.30 lydgate.lan<1d>
>
> The server has os level = 66 set. The client doesn't have any setting at all
> for os level so should be working at the default. 192.168.0.30 is the badly
> behaved client, not the server.
----
lydgate.lan - is that the name of your workgroup?

That seems to be a hostname too which I think is part of the confusion

Craig

Old 04-19-2008, 03:47 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 19 April 2008 16:39:37 Craig White wrote:
> > The laptop I'm working from and the client in question both return
> > exactly the same -
> >
> > nmblookup -M lydgate.lan
> > querying lydgate.lan on 192.168.0.255
> > 192.168.0.30 lydgate.lan<1d>
> >
> > The server has os level = 66 set. *The client doesn't have any setting at
> > all for os level so should be working at the default. *192.168.0.30 is
> > the badly behaved client, not the server.
>
> ----
> lydgate.lan - is that the name of your workgroup?

Yes

> That seems to be a hostname too which I think is part of the confusion

The client in question is borg.lydgate.lan. This laptop, that has no
problems, is anne-wireless.lydgate.lan.

Anne

Old 04-19-2008, 03:51 PM
Craig White

On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 16:24 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:
> On Saturday 19 April 2008 16:05:09 Craig White wrote:

> > > All four requested the user password, then returned a summary of the
> > > shares. The LAN name is correct. The client in question, though, is
> > > names as master, which it shouldn't be.
> >
> > ----
> > LAN NAME? what's a LAN NAME?
> >
> OK - workgroup name, if you prefer it.
>
> > There's a WORKGROUP concept in samba...
> >
> > any machine on the subnet should give the same answer with the following
> > command...
> >
> > nmblookup -M WORKGROUP # obviously substitute for the 'WORKGROUP'
> > whatever name
> > # you use for workgroup
> >
> > This is a live broadcast poll of the subnet and reply should come from
> > the 'Browse Master' from the most recent 'election' - elections occur
> > every 15 minutes by design.
> >
> > If you are getting different results from the same subnet on different
> > machines then, as I suggested on the thread on fedora-list, make sure
> > that all the Linux systems on the LAN set os level = 20 (the default)
> > except for the one you want to be the master where it's set to os level
> > = 65
> >
> The laptop I'm working from and the client in question both return exactly the
> same -
>
> nmblookup -M lydgate.lan
> querying lydgate.lan on 192.168.0.255
> 192.168.0.30 lydgate.lan<1d>
>
> The server has os level = 66 set. The client doesn't have any setting at all
> for os level so should be working at the default. 192.168.0.30 is the badly
> behaved client, not the server.
----
ok, just had another thought...

on each machine that has nmb running...

# cat /var/cache/samba/wins.dat
on other distributions, the location of wins.dat will surely change

the entire discussion of network browsing can be found here...
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html

and specific information on how to 'game' the various systems to
influence the outcome of Network Browsing is here...
http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html#id2579338

Craig

Old 04-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Anne Wilson

On Saturday 19 April 2008 16:51:42 Craig White wrote:
> On Sat, 2008-04-19 at 16:24 +0100, Anne Wilson wrote:

> > > ----
> > > LAN NAME? what's a LAN NAME?
> >
> > OK - workgroup name, if you prefer it.
> >
> > > There's a WORKGROUP concept in samba...
> > >
> > > any machine on the subnet should give the same answer with the
> > > following command...
> > >
> > > nmblookup -M WORKGROUP # obviously substitute for the 'WORKGROUP'
> > > whatever name
> > > # you use for workgroup
> > >
> > > This is a live broadcast poll of the subnet and reply should come from
> > > the 'Browse Master' from the most recent 'election' - elections occur
> > > every 15 minutes by design.
> > >
> > > If you are getting different results from the same subnet on different
> > > machines then, as I suggested on the thread on fedora-list, make sure
> > > that all the Linux systems on the LAN set os level = 20 (the default)
> > > except for the one you want to be the master where it's set to os level
> > > = 65
> >
> > The laptop I'm working from and the client in question both return
> > exactly the same -
> >
> > nmblookup -M lydgate.lan
> > querying lydgate.lan on 192.168.0.255
> > 192.168.0.30 lydgate.lan<1d>
> >
> > The server has os level = 66 set. The client doesn't have any setting at
> > all for os level so should be working at the default. 192.168.0.30 is
> > the badly behaved client, not the server.
>
> ----
> ok, just had another thought...
>
> on each machine that has nmb running...
>
> # cat /var/cache/samba/wins.dat
> on other distributions, the location of wins.dat will surely change

Neither the client in question nor this one have wins.dat, according to
locate.

> the entire discussion of network browsing can be found here...
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html
>
> and specific information on how to 'game' the various systems to
> influence the outcome of Network Browsing is here...
> http://samba.org/samba/docs/man/Samba-HOWTO-Collection/NetworkBrowsing.html
>#id2579338

I have to leave this for a couple of hours, but I'll read them when I get
back.

Anne