Old 04-18-2008, 05:05 PM

Default Closest Fedora to CentOS 4?

Hi, I want to take a SRPM that is available for various versions of Fedora
and rebuild it on a CentOS 4 system.

Which release of Fedora is the closest to CentOS 4? In other words, which
would be the best FC to take the SRPM for?

Cheers
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield
Work: tony@softins.co.uk - http://www.softins.co.uk

Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 PM
Dianne Yumul

Hi, I want to take a SRPM that is available for various versions of
Fedora

and rebuild it on a CentOS 4 system.

I read from somewhere that RHEL 4 is based on Fedora Core 3, but
can't find the article now. Somebody will correct me though if I'm
wrong.

Old 04-18-2008, 07:55 PM
"Philip R. Schaffner"

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:05 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> Hi, I want to take a SRPM that is available for various versions of Fedora
> and rebuild it on a CentOS 4 system.
>
> Which release of Fedora is the closest to CentOS 4? In other words, which
> would be the best FC to take the SRPM for?

Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux

Originally, Red Hat based Red Hat Enterprise Linux on Red Hat Linux, but
using a much more conservative release cycle. Later versions leveraged
technologies from Fedora which is a community distribution and project
that Red Hat sponsors. Roughly every third version of Red Hat Linux
(RHL) or Fedora forms the basis for a version of Red Hat Enterprise
Linux, thus:

* Red Hat Linux 6.2 → Red Hat Linux 6.2E
* Red Hat Linux 7.2 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
* Red Hat Linux 9 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
* Fedora Core 3 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
* Fedora Core 6 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
* Fedora 9 → Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (projected)

IIRC the RHEL (and thus CentOS) branches from Fedora have been from late
test versions rather than the final releases. I have had pretty good
luck building packages from a Fedora release or 2 later than the branch
version on CentOS. My $0.02 is to try the latest SRPM for a particular
package that will build successfully, rather than going all the way back
to FC3 for EL4-based systems. You will often need to build dependencies
from Fedora as well. Probably goes without saying, but check the 3rd
party repos first before embarking on custom builds.

http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

Phil

Old 04-18-2008, 09:45 PM

In article <1208548520.4908.58.camel@wx1.larc.nasa.gov>,
Philip R. Schaffner <Philip.R.Schaffner@NASA.gov> wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 17:05 +0000, Tony Mountifield wrote:
> > Hi, I want to take a SRPM that is available for various versions of Fedora
> > and rebuild it on a CentOS 4 system.
> >
> > Which release of Fedora is the closest to CentOS 4? In other words, which
> > would be the best FC to take the SRPM for?
>
> Per http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux
>
> Originally, Red Hat based Red Hat Enterprise Linux on Red Hat Linux, but
> using a much more conservative release cycle. Later versions leveraged
> technologies from Fedora which is a community distribution and project
> that Red Hat sponsors. Roughly every third version of Red Hat Linux
> (RHL) or Fedora forms the basis for a version of Red Hat Enterprise
> Linux, thus:
>
> * Red Hat Linux 6.2 -> Red Hat Linux 6.2E
> * Red Hat Linux 7.2 -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 2.1
> * Red Hat Linux 9 -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3
> * Fedora Core 3 -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4
> * Fedora Core 6 -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
> * Fedora 9 -> Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 (projected)
>
> IIRC the RHEL (and thus CentOS) branches from Fedora have been from late
> test versions rather than the final releases. I have had pretty good
> luck building packages from a Fedora release or 2 later than the branch
> version on CentOS. My $0.02 is to try the latest SRPM for a particular
> package that will build successfully, rather than going all the way back
> to FC3 for EL4-based systems. You will often need to build dependencies
> from Fedora as well. Probably goes without saying, but check the 3rd
> party repos first before embarking on custom builds.
>
> http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories

Thanks, that's useful info. I had found the kbs-CentOS-Extras repository,
which has a lot of useful stuff, but didn't have libconfuse. I installed
the SRPM of libconfuse for FC6, and it built on CentOS4 without any problems
(once I had installed check and check-devel from kbs).

Cheers
Tony

Old 04-18-2008, 09:48 PM
Karanbir Singh

Tony Mountifield wrote:

Hi, I want to take a SRPM that is available for various versions of Fedora
and rebuild it on a CentOS 4 system.

what package are you looking for ? Its possible that its already there in one of
the repos built for centos ( re: http://wiki.centos.org/Repositories )