Old 04-18-2008, 01:46 PM
Jerry Geis

Default howto use kvm-amd on centos 5.1

Is there a way to use kvm-amd on centos 5.1?

I dont want to mess with XEN. I want the hardware virtualization that is
on my AMD chip.

I played with putting 2.6.24 and centos 5.1 on my AMD laptop, got
kvm-amd and that works. However
I want to put this on my desktop that is running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5. Is
there a way or do I just

wave to use 2.6.24 or 25.

Thanks,

Jerry

Old 04-18-2008, 01:58 PM
Karanbir Singh

Jerry Geis wrote:

Is there a way to use kvm-amd on centos 5.1?

I dont want to mess with XEN. I want the hardware virtualization that is
on my AMD chip.

what effort did you make to research this first ? What did you try ?
What specific problems did you run into ?

Old 04-18-2008, 02:59 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> Is there a way to use kvm-amd on centos 5.1?
>
> I dont want to mess with XEN. I want the hardware virtualization that is on
> my AMD chip.
>
> I played with putting 2.6.24 and centos 5.1 on my AMD laptop, got kvm-amd
> and that works. However
> I want to put this on my desktop that is running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5. Is
> there a way or do I just
> wave to use 2.6.24 or 25.

First, this may be best discussed in the CentOS-Virt mailing list.

If you are willing to *test* it, the kvm rpm is available for CentOS 5
in the testing repo (testers are always welcome). :-) Install kvm and
kmod-kvm from testing. The only "problem" is that the kmod -kvm is
not up-to-date. It is for kernel 2.6.18-8.1.14. I suppose Daniel can
build it for the current kernel which you have.

Akemi

Akemi

Old 04-18-2008, 07:33 PM
"Daniel de Kok"

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
> I want to put this on my desktop that is running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5. Is
> there a way or do I just wave to use 2.6.24 or 25.

yum install kmod-kvm

should do the trick, because KVM is in extras. I am currently working
on KVM-66 packages as well, that will be pushed to testing if they
work ok.

Take care,
Daniel

Old 04-29-2008, 03:48 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:33 PM, Daniel de Kok <me@danieldk.org> wrote:
> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
>
> > I want to put this on my desktop that is running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5. Is
> > there a way or do I just wave to use 2.6.24 or 25.
>
> yum install kmod-kvm
>
> should do the trick, because KVM is in extras. I am currently working
> on KVM-66 packages as well, that will be pushed to testing if they
> work ok.
>
> Take care,
> Daniel

Just wanted to update on this. KVM-66 is available in the testing
repository. There is now a wiki article (draft) for those who are
wishing to install KVM on CentOS-5 (thanks to Scott Roberts for
writing this up).

http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/KVM

Akemi

Old 05-18-2008, 01:53 PM
Akemi Yagi

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008 21:33:53 +0200, Daniel de Kok wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 3:46 PM, Jerry Geis
> <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:
>> I want to put this on my desktop that is running 2.6.18-53.1.14.el5.
>> Is
>> there a way or do I just wave to use 2.6.24 or 25.
>
> yum install kmod-kvm
>
> should do the trick, because KVM is in extras. I am currently working on
> KVM-66 packages as well, that will be pushed to testing if they work ok.
>
> Take care,
> Daniel

Jerry,

Wondering if you had a chance to give kvm a try. If so, could you report
back with what you've found?

Thanks,
Akemi

Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 PM
Jerry Geis

>/ Jerry Geis wrote:
/>>/
/>>/ What went wrong?
/>/
/>/ Also, I can see you are still doing your old "ask on the list rather than
/>/ actually work out what the problem is" trick :/
/
Jerry,

You have been posting a lot of questions and getting a lot of help as
well. Maybe it's time for you to give something back to the
community? For example, it would be nice if you could respond to the
question directed to you:

http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-May/099299.html

Akemi,

Sorry if I missed your question back in may. I travel at times and must
have missed it.
Yes I did try what Daniel had suggested at that time and it did work as
he said.

Jerry

Old 06-18-2008, 06:25 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

>> Jerry,
>>
>> You have been posting a lot of questions and getting a lot of help as
>> well. Maybe it's time for you to give something back to the
>> community? For example, it would be nice if you could respond to the
>> question directed to you:
>>
>> http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/2008-May/099299.html
>
> Akemi,
>
> Sorry if I missed your question back in may. I travel at times and must have
> missed it.
> Yes I did try what Daniel had suggested at that time and it did work as he
> said.
>
> Jerry

Thanks for the reply. Glad to learn kvm worked for you.

Akemi