Old 04-18-2008, 08:38 AM
Fajar Priyanto

Default Upstream vendor's diskless vs LTSP

Hello all,
I have a customer that insists of using upstream vendor's diskless
(system-config-netboot) rather than LTSP. The reason is that he wants to use
a 100% packages from the vendor, not from LTSP or any other party.

I try the vendor's diskless system, and although it's very simple to setup, it
lacks the support and/or documentation whereas LTSP is very good in it.
Another sample is that he wants to connect a scanner to the client, I doubt it
can be, since there's no documentation about it at all from the vendor.

Is there any fundamental difference between the two setups?
Thank you.
http://linux2.arinet.org
15:38:01 up 8:32, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 04-18-2008, 10:12 AM
John

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 15:38 +0700, Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> Hello all,
> I have a customer that insists of using upstream vendor's diskless
> (system-config-netboot) rather than LTSP. The reason is that he wants to use
> a 100% packages from the vendor, not from LTSP or any other party.

I to have one that insists on it also.They want to stay in the Red
Hat/CentOS Realm of things.

> I try the vendor's diskless system, and although it's very simple to setup, it
> lacks the support and/or documentation whereas LTSP is very good in it.
> Another sample is that he wants to connect a scanner to the client, I doubt it
> can be, since there's no documentation about it at all from the vendor.
>
> Is there any fundamental difference between the two setups?
> Thank you.

The netboot package for version 5 of CentOS/Red Hat is not included in
either distro, because it is broken. Attempts to get to a working known
state are not looking to good. If using it on CentOS/Red Hat version 4,
it will work.

Huge difference. Especially in the configuration files. DHCP.CONF is way
different, as in you can add in options for each client. Version 4 of
ltsp worked booting off of an ethetboot boot image, at least that is
what worked for me. Had no PXE compliant NICs on the clients. Also in
the client bits that get booted you have options to mount devices on the
client machine. There's a configuration file for it. Like for instance
you could specify to mount the scanner that is connected to the client.
I have had no experiance in mounting devices like that with the netboot
package. All you can do is try it and if don't work keep at it.

Using ltsp, the newest version you want be booting CentOS Bits. Will
prolly be Ubuntu, Debian or Suse. If using the netboot package you will
be booting CentOS/Red Hat Bits.

Both of the types in question export directories via NFS to the clients.
Basically it just boils down to both of them doing the same deed, just a
different type of setup situation.
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

Old 04-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Fajar Priyanto

On Friday 18 April 2008 17:12:02 John wrote:
> The netboot package for version 5 of CentOS/Red Hat is not included in
> either distro, because it is broken. Attempts to get to a working known
> state are not looking to good. If using it on CentOS/Red Hat version 4,
> it will work.

Luckily he still uses version 4.x

> Huge difference. Especially in the configuration files. DHCP.CONF is way
> different, as in you can add in options for each client. Version 4 of
> ltsp worked booting off of an ethetboot boot image, at least that is
> what worked for me. Had no PXE compliant NICs on the clients. Also in
> the client bits that get booted you have options to mount devices on the
> client machine. There's a configuration file for it. Like for instance
> you could specify to mount the scanner that is connected to the client.
> I have had no experiance in mounting devices like that with the netboot
> package. All you can do is try it and if don't work keep at it.

In my testing, it boots vmware PXE client ok.

> Both of the types in question export directories via NFS to the clients.
> Basically it just boils down to both of them doing the same deed, just a
> different type of setup situation.

I still have problem with user cannot logon from the diskless because the home
directory is read-only. It seems that I have to state that /home/user/ must
be writable in files.custom, still bumped though. Maybe my v4.2 has bugs on
it.

What makes me frustated is that searching 'diskless' in the vendor knowledge
base only returns 5 entries. Can you believe it?
http://linux2.arinet.org
19:13:03 up 30 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 04-18-2008, 02:06 PM
Karanbir Singh

Fajar Priyanto wrote:
What makes me frustated is that searching 'diskless' in the vendor knowledge
base only returns 5 entries. Can you believe it?

Sounds, to me, like a good opportunity to fill that hole with a doc on
the wiki.centos.org site, and get some attention around that.

btw, I am working on getting a cobbler package into mirror.centos.org
for centos4 and 5. that would make a decent replacement for s-c-netboot

Old 04-18-2008, 04:09 PM
Scott Silva

on 4-18-2008 1:38 AM Fajar Priyanto spake the following:

Hello all,
I have a customer that insists of using upstream vendor's diskless
(system-config-netboot) rather than LTSP. The reason is that he wants to use
a 100% packages from the vendor, not from LTSP or any other party.

I try the vendor's diskless system, and although it's very simple to setup, it
lacks the support and/or documentation whereas LTSP is very good in it.
Another sample is that he wants to connect a scanner to the client, I doubt it
can be, since there's no documentation about it at all from the vendor.

Is there any fundamental difference between the two setups?
Thank you.

The big difference is that the LTSP package was set up to overcome the
limitations of the pure upstream version.

Have a look at K12ltsp.org. They have a version based on Centos-5. Maybe it
will fill your need.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and

Old 04-19-2008, 12:49 AM
Fajar Priyanto

On Friday 18 April 2008 21:06:34 Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Fajar Priyanto wrote:
> > What makes me frustated is that searching 'diskless' in the vendor
> > knowledge base only returns 5 entries. Can you believe it?
>
> Sounds, to me, like a good opportunity to fill that hole with a doc on
> the wiki.centos.org site, and get some attention around that.
>
> btw, I am working on getting a cobbler package into mirror.centos.org
> for centos4 and 5. that would make a decent replacement for s-c-netboot

Nice to hear that, Karan.
Looking forward for the good news.
Thank you.
http://linux2.arinet.org
07:49:14 up 39 min, 2.6.22-14-generic GNU/Linux
The real challenge of teaching is getting your students motivated to learn.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:00 AM
Les Mikesell

Fajar Priyanto wrote:

I still have problem with user cannot logon from the diskless because the home
directory is read-only. It seems that I have to state that /home/user/ must
be writable in files.custom, still bumped though. Maybe my v4.2 has bugs on
it.

What makes me frustated is that searching 'diskless' in the vendor knowledge
base only returns 5 entries. Can you believe it?

drbl is a nice package: http://drbl.sourceforge.net/

It can boot diskless clients a couple of different ways besides the
clonezilla mode.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com