FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 04-18-2008, 05:35 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

gopinath wrote:
how to simulate a RJ 45 port to act as serial port any option in
Centos 5.1. Please help me out on this.



huh? You'll have to be a WHOLE lot more explicit as to what you want
to do here.

on x86 hardware, RJ45 ports are almost always ethernet, serial ports
generally use DB9 connectors.

On some other servers like Sun Sparc and IBM Power systems, RJ45 ports
are sometimes used for serial console connections, but those ports are
wired up to UARTs (asynchronous communication adapters) rather than
ethernet network interface adapters.







_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2008, 05:58 AM
John
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 22:35 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> gopinath wrote:
> > how to simulate a RJ 45 port to act as serial port any option in
> > Centos 5.1. Please help me out on this.
> >
>
> huh? You'll have to be a WHOLE lot more explicit as to what you want
> to do here.
>
> on x86 hardware, RJ45 ports are almost always ethernet, serial ports
> generally use DB9 connectors.
>
> On some other servers like Sun Sparc and IBM Power systems, RJ45 ports
> are sometimes used for serial console connections, but those ports are
> wired up to UARTs (asynchronous communication adapters) rather than
> ethernet network interface adapter

Attachment Unit Interface? (AUI) RJ46 to Serial DB9 or RJ45 to LPT ?

> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2008, 06:10 AM
John R Pierce
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

John wrote:

Attachment Unit Interface? (AUI) RJ46 to Serial DB9 or RJ45 to LPT ?



AUI connectors were DB15, and also aren't 'serial ports', they are
ethernet without the PHY layer transcievers.



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2008, 09:49 AM
John
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 23:10 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> John wrote:
> > Attachment Unit Interface? (AUI) RJ46 to Serial DB9 or RJ45 to LPT ?
> >
>
> AUI connectors were DB15, and also aren't 'serial ports', they are
> ethernet without the PHY layer transcievers.

I thought it was a DB9. I have not seen one in years. IIRC I used them
for printer connections.
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2008, 09:54 AM
"Morten Nilsen"
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

On 4/18/2008, "John" <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 23:10 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
>> John wrote:
>> > Attachment Unit Interface? (AUI) RJ46 to Serial DB9 or RJ45 to LPT ?
>>
>> AUI connectors were DB15, and also aren't 'serial ports', they are
>> ethernet without the PHY layer transcievers.
>
>I thought it was a DB9. I have not seen one in years. IIRC I used them
>for printer connections.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_Unit_Interface

--
Cheers,
Morten
:wq
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2008, 10:18 AM
John
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

On Fri, 2008-04-18 at 11:54 +0200, Morten Nilsen wrote:
> On 4/18/2008, "John" <jses27@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 23:10 -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> >> John wrote:
> >> > Attachment Unit Interface? (AUI) RJ46 to Serial DB9 or RJ45 to LPT ?
> >>
> >> AUI connectors were DB15, and also aren't 'serial ports', they are
> >> ethernet without the PHY layer transcievers.
> >
> >I thought it was a DB9. I have not seen one in years. IIRC I used them
> >for printer connections.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attachment_Unit_Interface

Thanks for the linky Mort. That's what they looked like way back when.

>
> --
> Cheers,
> Morten
> :wq
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
--
~/john

OpenPGP Sig:BA91F079

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2008, 02:29 PM
"Jeff Larsen"
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM, gopinath <gopinath@signal-networks.com> wrote:
>
>
> how to simulate a RJ 45 port to act as serial port any option in Centos 5.1.
> Please help me out on this.
>

Are you perhaps looking for a serial over ethernet device such as the
ones made by Moxa (www.moxa.com)? I'm sure there are other makers of
such devices, but this is what I've used. We buy up old versions of
DE-303, Nport 5610, etc. on ebay for about $100 each. Moxa provides
linux drivers that work great in CentOS. So, CentOS sees a /dev/ttyr00
port and you plug your serial device into the Moxa and you're good to
go. A great solution for virtualization because you are not using a
hardware serial port on your server. The only trick is getting the
right pin-out between your serial device and the Moxa (which uses
RJ-45 jacks), but Moxa has decent documentation.

--
Jeff
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 04-18-2008, 03:48 PM
Paul Heinlein
 
Default Simulate RJ 45 Port

On Fri, 18 Apr 2008, Jeff Larsen wrote:


On Fri, Apr 18, 2008 at 12:18 AM, gopinath <gopinath@signal-networks.com> wrote:



how to simulate a RJ 45 port to act as serial port any option in
Centos 5.1. Please help me out on this.


Are you perhaps looking for a serial over ethernet device such as
the ones made by Moxa (www.moxa.com)? I'm sure there are other
makers of such devices, [....]


Digi -- www.digi.com -- also makes this sort of thing.

--
Paul Heinlein <> heinlein@madboa.com <> http://www.madboa.com/
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 05:48 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org