Old 10-15-2012, 09:09 AM
Nux!

Default CentOS 6 - Does EFI have an impact beyond the boot sequence?

On 15.10.2012 09:31, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using an up to date CentOS 6 x86_64 laptop (Thinkpad X220t) and
> after struggling a bit I could install it a few months ago with a
> pure
> EFI boot.
>
> However, I am not really satisfied with such things as stability,
> power consumption, etc. and now that I have a little more time I want
> to investigate these issues thoroughly.
>
> So, my questions are:
>
> - Does EFI impacts other things than the boot sequence? (a friend of
> mine told me that this is a complete replacement of BIOS, and thus
> impacts "everything")
>
> - Could it change (improve?) stability, power consumption, etc. if I
> would reinstall CentOS 6 using the traditional boot? (or is it just a
> legacy wrapper around an EFI "BIOS"?)
>
> Thanks in advance for your advice or for providing more details about
> what you know about EFI pro and cons!

Hello Mathieu,

Not sure about the EFI as I'm avoiding it as the plague, but on Intel
platforms there are some issues regarding power consumption. Here's what
I do:
http://www.nux.ro/archive/2012/10/EL6_power_usage_optimisation_on_Intel_Sandy___Ivy_ Bridge.html

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 10-15-2012, 10:21 AM
Nux!

On 15.10.2012 10:45, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Hi,
>
>> Not sure about the EFI as I'm avoiding it as the plague, but on
>> Intel
>> platforms there are some issues regarding power consumption. Here's
>> what
>> I do:
>>
>> http://www.nux.ro/archive/2012/10/EL6_power_usage_optimisation_on_Intel_Sandy___Ivy_ Bridge.html
>
> that article looks quite out of date, tuned for example will handle
> quite a few things

Why outdated? I just wrote it! :-))
Anyway, I edited it and included mentions to Powertop and Jupiter.

Any other suggestions?

Nux!
www.nux.ro