Old 10-15-2012, 08:31 AM
Mathieu Baudier

Default CentOS 6 - Does EFI have an impact beyond the boot sequence?

Hello,

I am using an up to date CentOS 6 x86_64 laptop (Thinkpad X220t) and
after struggling a bit I could install it a few months ago with a pure
EFI boot.

However, I am not really satisfied with such things as stability,
power consumption, etc. and now that I have a little more time I want
to investigate these issues thoroughly.

So, my questions are:

- Does EFI impacts other things than the boot sequence? (a friend of
mine told me that this is a complete replacement of BIOS, and thus
impacts "everything")

- Could it change (improve?) stability, power consumption, etc. if I
would reinstall CentOS 6 using the traditional boot? (or is it just a
legacy wrapper around an EFI "BIOS"?)

Thanks in advance for your advice or for providing more details about
what you know about EFI pro and cons!

Cheers,

Mathieu

Old 10-15-2012, 09:43 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

On 10/15/2012 09:31 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> I am using an up to date CentOS 6 x86_64 laptop (Thinkpad X220t) and
> after struggling a bit I could install it a few months ago with a pure
> EFI boot.

Are you sure it wasent doing a bios failback ? I'd be surprised to see a
device like that with exclusive uEFI support ( although, I know lots of
people run CentOS 6 on MacBook Air's and Macbook's of various shapes /
sizes, which have no bios mode )

> So, my questions are:
>
> - Does EFI impacts other things than the boot sequence? (a friend of
> mine told me that this is a complete replacement of BIOS, and thus
> impacts "everything")

to some extent yes, but once the machine is running and dmi stuff has
been setup, there would be little impact

> - Could it change (improve?) stability, power consumption, etc. if I
> would reinstall CentOS 6 using the traditional boot? (or is it just a
> legacy wrapper around an EFI "BIOS"?)

its the same grub, running with different paths. There should be no
stability impact as far as I can tell.

> Thanks in advance for your advice or for providing more details about
> what you know about EFI pro and cons!

I've switched over everything that is capable of running uEFI to uEFI
modes ( including my HP EliteBook laptop ) - and dont have any stability
or performance issues ( that I've noticed anyway ).

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 AM
Karanbir Singh

Hi,

> Not sure about the EFI as I'm avoiding it as the plague, but on Intel
> platforms there are some issues regarding power consumption. Here's what
> I do:
> http://www.nux.ro/archive/2012/10/EL6_power_usage_optimisation_on_Intel_Sandy___Ivy_ Bridge.html

that article looks quite out of date, tuned for example will handle
quite a few things - and powertop can be used to tune accessories up as
well.

Depends on what one is tuning for.

eg. i dont need the wwan interface most of the time, so loading the
driver and powering it down is more productive than what most people do
: dont load the driver till its needed

Old 10-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 10/15/2012 03:21 AM, Nux! wrote:
> Why outdated? I just wrote it! :-))

I've tested those directions on a new Thinkpad (T430s) after finding
them posted in many places and found no measurable power use difference.

Using powertop, however, does produce significant improvements.

The most important thing to know about powertop is that it does not make
permanent changes. If you get good improvements from powertop, save the
HTML report from the program. The HTML report will have a table
containing commands that enact the changes that powertop suggests. You
can Ctrl+click and drag to select those cells (at least in Firefox) and
paste them into a shell script that you can run on boot.

Old 10-15-2012, 05:11 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 10/15/2012 01:31 AM, Mathieu Baudier wrote:
> - Does EFI impacts other things than the boot sequence? (a friend of
> mine told me that this is a complete replacement of BIOS, and thus
> impacts "everything")

EFI will primarily impact driver initialization. If you saw a problem,
it would be during the kernel startup, before the init process began, or
during suspend and resume. It shouldn't impact power use or stability
in general.

> - Could it change (improve?) stability, power consumption, etc. if I
> would reinstall CentOS 6 using the traditional boot? (or is it just a
> legacy wrapper around an EFI "BIOS"?)

The EFI firmware provides a legacy BIOS wrapper.