-   -   centos 5 and php53 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/712350-centos-5-php53.html)

John R Pierce 10-15-2012 05:18 AM

centos 5 and php53

so whats the scoop on PHP53 for CentOS 5?

I have a long running webserver, runs a bunch of mostly php+postgresql
stuff, mostly hobby sites (clubs and local scout troops and such). has
latest updates to php 5.2.10-xx but I want to install something thats
insisting on php53. If I try and yum install php53, it says it
conflicts with php-5.2.10 ...

ok, do I remove the old PHP and install the one one? does that stand
a reasonable chance of not blowing up in my face?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Patrick Lists 10-15-2012 05:30 AM

centos 5 and php53

On 10/15/2012 07:18 AM, John R Pierce wrote:
> so whats the scoop on PHP53 for CentOS 5?
>
> I have a long running webserver, runs a bunch of mostly php+postgresql
> stuff, mostly hobby sites (clubs and local scout troops and such). has
> latest updates to php 5.2.10-xx but I want to install something thats
> insisting on php53. If I try and yum install php53, it says it
> conflicts with php-5.2.10 ...
>
> ok, do I remove the old PHP and install the one one? does that stand
> a reasonable chance of not blowing up in my face?

Iirc the php 5.3 packages from the IUS repo are the ones you need. Not
sure if it's an update or parallel install (I just went to CentOS 6).
There might be security and other implications when going from 5.2 to
5.3. Iirc php.net has some docs on this subject.

Regards,
Patrick

John R Pierce 10-15-2012 08:34 AM

centos 5 and php53

>> >does that stand a reasonable chance of not blowing up in my face?
> where should be a problem?
> your changed configs are saved as .rpmsave as everytime while deal with rpm

I discovered that one of my older websites flat out won't work with php
5.3 and requires a vey complex upgrade. meh.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

SilverTip257 10-15-2012 03:09 PM

centos 5 and php53

It might not be _as_ bad as you think.

We made the push to php5.3 on a few web hosts and I got the fun job of
fixing some old code for customer CMSes. Tail the site/vhost's
error_log and fix the broken items. Once I took care of a few sites,
I had a pretty comprehensive list that made further sites easy.

If you're adventurous, I could toss you a quick list of common items
that need fixed.

---~~.~~---
Mike
// SilverTip257 //

Leon Fauster 10-15-2012 03:18 PM

centos 5 and php53

http://php.net/manual/en/migration53.php

--
LF

John R Pierce 10-15-2012 05:31 PM

centos 5 and php53

On 10/15/12 8:09 AM, SilverTip257 wrote:
> It might not be_as_ bad as you think.
>
> We made the push to php5.3 on a few web hosts and I got the fun job of
> fixing some old code for customer CMSes. Tail the site/vhost's
> error_log and fix the broken items. Once I took care of a few sites,
> I had a pretty comprehensive list that made further sites easy.
>
> If you're adventurous, I could toss you a quick list of common items
> that need fixed.

thanks, but no thanks. I hate the php language, I find its an
abomination, sloppy, poorly structured, full of weirdnesses that lead to
poor programming. the simple fact that code that worked on 5.2 is
known broken on 5.3 alone is enough to condemn it. anyways, the last
thing I want to be doing is mucking through ancient CMS code.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

John R Pierce 10-15-2012 05:32 PM

centos 5 and php53

On 10/15/12 2:53 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> any application which does not run years after 5.3 was released
> and also a long time after 5.4 is released can be considered as
> broken and insecure
>
> "requires a vey complex upgrade"
> so you do not upgrade the application and ignore security-issues?

get off that 'horse', it is an ass.

the upgrade path would be to recreate the website from scratch with a
different CMS, spending 100s of hours copying and reformatting old
pages. its a hobby site, it works as is and I have better things to do
with my time.

In this case, the security exposures are purely if you allow untrusted
users logins on this particular CMS. I limit authenticated user access
strictly to a few trusted users (web editors), there are no exposures.
from the perspective of an anonymous user, this particular website is
purely static. as the server hasn't been hacked or defaced in 5 years,
it appears my assumptions here are valid.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

John R Pierce 10-15-2012 06:12 PM

centos 5 and php53

On 10/15/12 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> there are no exposures YOU KNOW about

I could say exactly the same thing about *ANY* software, including
6.3.latest.

your point?

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

John R Pierce 10-15-2012 06:14 PM

centos 5 and php53

On 10/15/12 10:36 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> php is not resposible that braindead idiots develop software
> without any knowledge - i prove the opposite with more than
> 250.000 lines of code brough without pain from PHP 4.1 to
> PHP 5.4 without any real problem

gee, want to re-implement this site for me? I'll give you 100% of my
payment for it....

oh yeah, 100% of nothing is... yeah, nothing. oh well.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast