Old 10-14-2012, 11:46 AM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

Default Multimedia Workstation using Centos 6.3

On 10/14/2012 10:26 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> [sheepish query]
>
> Are there repositories which will help a centos die-hard nerd to run
> 64 studio like workstation (of course bomus will be to pointers to HPC
> with desktops for rendering and the such)?
>
> [/sheepish query]

Have you checked repositories listed at
http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories?

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-14-2012, 02:04 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

Greetings,

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic <office@plnet.rs> wrote:

> Have you checked repositories listed at
> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories?

hmm.. Not much there. there used to be ccrma repo for (sorta) C5. but
I couldn't find one for c6... any pointers?

Rajagopal

Old 10-14-2012, 03:41 PM
Nux!

On 14.10.2012 15:04, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 5:16 PM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic
> <office@plnet.rs> wrote:
>>
>> Have you checked repositories listed at
>> http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories?
>>

> hmm.. Not much there. there used to be ccrma repo for (sorta) C5. but
> I couldn't find one for c6... any pointers?

What kind of software exactly haven't you been able to find for EL6?

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 10-14-2012, 04:51 PM
Rajagopal Swaminathan

On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Nux! <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:
> What kind of software exactly haven't you been able to find for EL6?

Software like:
:64 studio like workstation for centos:

Rajagopal

Old 10-14-2012, 09:30 PM
Nux!

On 14.10.2012 17:51, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 14, 2012 at 9:11 PM, Nux! <nux@li.nux.ro> wrote:
>> What kind of software exactly haven't you been able to find for EL6?
>>
>> --
>>
> Software like:
> :64 studio like workstation for centos:

I see they have their own iso:
http://www.64studio.com/download

It's still not clear to me which software packages you need.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 10-14-2012, 10:02 PM
John Stanley

On Sun, 2012-10-14 at 22:21 +0530, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Software like:
> :64 studio like workstation for centos:

Are you looking for things like:

lmms
usbmuxd
audacity
vamp-*
rosegarden4
portaudio
pavucontrol
pavumeter
lv2*
libusb1
libmusicbarinz
ladspa
jack-*
gtkpod
fluidsynth
fluid-*

Old 10-14-2012, 10:50 PM
John R Pierce

On 10/14/12 9:51 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Software like:
> :64 studio like workstation for centos:

which, AFAIK, appears to be a tweaked version of Debian (4.0 aka Etch)
with some bog stock open source multimedia tools preinstalled, like
Rosegarden. It also appears to not have been updated in 3-4 years, and
most of the package mirrors listed on their website are 404.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-14-2012, 10:53 PM
John R Pierce

On 10/14/12 9:51 AM, Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Software like:
> :64 studio like workstation for centos:

2 minutes with google turned up...

http://ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/installplanetcentosfive.html

yes, its only available for CentOS 5, not 6. oh well.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Old 10-15-2012, 05:56 PM
Lamar Owen

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 04:26:14 AM Rajagopal Swaminathan wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> [sheepish query]
>
> Are there repositories which will help a centos die-hard nerd to run
> 64 studio like workstation (of course bomus will be to pointers to HPC
> with desktops for rendering and the such)?
>
> [/sheepish query]

I personally would find a CentOS-equivalent to AV/Linux (
www.bandshed.net/AVLinux.html ) to be nice. It doesn't really take that long
to get used to LXDE (which AV/Linux uses as the only desktop) and it's already
tuned for multimedia. It is, however, like the defunct 64studio, Debian-
based. And the version 6 release is the last one, according to its developer.
But AV/Linux is fast, light, and fully supports the sort of setup you need for
a non-annoying multimedia-creating experience. I'm using in in a few places,
and it has been solid. But it is different.

The biggest problem I've had with EL6 for multimedia is summed up in two
words: PulseAudio (counting that as two words). Good PA/JACK integration, and
preferrably an RT kernel, are pretty much required for any pro audio tools
(such as the commercial Ardour++ known as Harrison Mixbus).

Now, I am running Harrison Mixbus on a C6.3 laptop, but it wasn't the easiest
thing in the world to get running. Not the hardest, mind you, but not the
easiest, either. And I'm not using it for really high track counts with lots
of overdubs; to do that, I go to the Mac and use it with Mixbus. Low-latency
audio and support of pro audio interfaces is required, and some of that
support is sorely lacking in EL6. I use the laptop when I have a project in
the state for final mixdown and I want to work on the mixdown on the road....
but even then I miss some of the things I have on the Mac, like iZotope's
Ozone and Alloy. Or Celemony Melodyne. But I really need the studio monitor
setup to hear well enough to do the work when I get to needing the tools in
those programs, so the lack of them on the laptop isn't that big of a deal.

Other things necessary for multimedia would be Kdenlive and/or Cinelerra.
Both are 'unique' in their build requirements.

Now, John Stanley knows a thing or two about this, being that he's active with
the Rivendell radio station automation software, and his advice (the list of
packages for one) is good for these things.

The LinuxTech repo has some of the things you need; what would be, IMO, ideal
would be something akin to the Fedora 'Jam' spin, but backported to EL6.

I've run PlanetCCRMA stuff before, and Fernando does a great job, but they're
not EL6 as yet. It may be that the Fedora *12* or *13* CCRMA packages (and
there are things only CCRMA packages) will install cleanly; or perhaps the
source RPM might rebuild cleanly enough to work on EL6.

The biggest issue with an EL6 for multimedia is simply keeping up with the
dependencies, since many of the really good multimedia tools have really
specific requirements (look at Ardour3 for something of that nature) that may
be too new to build easily on EL6.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:11 PM
Nux!

On 15.10.2012 18:56, Lamar Owen wrote:
> IMO, ideal
> would be something akin to the Fedora 'Jam' spin, but backported to
> EL6.
>
> I've run PlanetCCRMA stuff before, and Fernando does a great job, but
> they're
> not EL6 as yet. It may be that the Fedora *12* or *13* CCRMA
> packages (and
> there are things only CCRMA packages) will install cleanly; or
> perhaps the
> source RPM might rebuild cleanly enough to work on EL6.
>
> The biggest issue with an EL6 for multimedia is simply keeping up
> with the
> dependencies, since many of the really good multimedia tools have
> really
> specific requirements (look at Ardour3 for something of that nature)
> that may
> be too new to build easily on EL6.

Lamar,

I have a lot of multimedia stuff in my repo
http://li.nux.ro/download/nux/dextop/ and I'm willing to put some effort
into backporting from Fedora or create new packages with a multimedia
focus, time and other resources permit.
Btw, Ardour3 seems doable.
If you can come up with a proper list of what's missing, I can look
into it.

Nux!
www.nux.ro