Old 10-11-2012, 11:31 AM
Helmut Drodofsky

Default escd daemon

Helo,

this morning I have had a pop up Window in the gnome desktop, that
- the esc service is stopped
- I should restart the esc service or
- restart the computer

But there is no esc servcie in CentOS 5 ?!

What to do? As far as I know, the server is ok. So I have closed the pop
up. It does not come up again after later login.

--
Viele Grüße
Helmut Drodofsky

Internet XS Service GmbH
Heßbrühlstraße 15
70565 Stuttgart

Geschäftsführung
Dr.-Ing. Roswitha Hahn-Drodofsky
HRB 21091 Stuttgart
USt.ID: DE190582774
Tel. 0711 781941 0
Fax: 0711 781941 79
Mail: info@internet-xs.de
www.internet-xs.de

Old 10-11-2012, 11:56 AM
Scott Robbins

On Thu, Oct 11, 2012 at 01:31:36PM +0200, Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> Helo,
>
> this morning I have had a pop up Window in the gnome desktop, that
> - the esc service is stopped
> - I should restart the esc service or
> - restart the computer
>
> But there is no esc servcie in CentOS 5 ?!
>
> What to do? As far as I know, the server is ok. So I have closed the pop
> up. It does not come up again after later login.

Putting escd daemon into google brings up this as the first hit.

https://rhn.redhat.com/errata/RHBA-2009-0085.html

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Harmony: Is Antonio Banderas a vampire?
Spike:No.
Harmony: Can I make him one?
Spike: No. On second thought, yes. Go make him a vampire. Take
your time. Get Melanie and the kids, too.

Old 10-11-2012, 01:03 PM
Helmut Drodofsky

Sorry, I had searched linux esc with the result:
Definition: ESCD: Extended System Configuration Data (BIOS, PNP)=-O

I have never used smart cards and I will not handle smart cards.

Can I erase it? yum search mentions this package. So I would prefer

yum erase esc

But: I will login in the future too ! Is this package mandatory for
CentOS 6?

Best regards
Helmut

Old 10-11-2012, 01:15 PM

Helmut Drodofsky wrote:
> Sorry, I had searched linux esc with the result:
> Definition: ESCD: Extended System Configuration Data (BIOS, PNP)=-O
>
> I have never used smart cards and I will not handle smart cards.

I must be missing something - for smart cards, you need pcscd, and
probably openct, opensc, ccid....

mark "why would you think I need to know this...?"

Old 10-12-2012, 08:26 PM
"Denniston, Todd A CIV NAVSURFWARCENDIV Crane"

esc can let you look at your card in ways that are similar to what firefox->edit->prefrences->advanced->encryption can, except it is
more limited,
not as reliable (for instance right now FF is seeing my card details, but esc is not),
and is more annoying (i.e. pops up in your way *every* time the card insertion is detected).

My standard thing to do with esc is `yum remove esc`.
every time I see it get installed on machines I use, I hope that it has finally got something I want, but in the RHEL 5.X series it has not.

Todd - "Mr. admin *_why_* did you reinstall that!?"

Even when this disclaimer is not here:
I am not a contracting officer. I do not have authority to make or modify the terms of any contract.