-   -   X/Display resolution configuration (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/710575-x-display-resolution-configuration.html)

Nux! 10-08-2012 05:38 PM

On 08.10.2012 18:20, Mike Watson wrote:
> I've installed CentOS 6.3 on a new system. I've a nagging problem
> that
> I'm trying to fix---the screen resolution changes. I've a flat screen
> monitor that has 1600x900 capability. However when I logout and then
> log
> back in the resolution changes to 1280x1024. When I looked at the
> xorg.conf.d directory it was empty---both in /etc and in /usr/share.
>
> Where is xorg.conf and it's monitor section now? BTW, I'm use KDE.
>
> mw

On Gnome you would use gnome-display-properties to set the resolution.
Not sure if it works on KDE though.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Mike Watson 10-08-2012 05:52 PM

X/Display resolution configuration

Tried that. It's present in KDE, too. I've set it numerous times but the
next time I logout and back in, the resolution drops to a lower density.
Where is this value stored in 6.3. My previous box, Fedora 7 used Xorg
but I can't find the Xorg.conf file for 6.3. All I've found so far is an
empty directory.

mw

-- William Kershner
http://crucis-court.com
http://www.crucis.net/1632search

Frank Cox 10-08-2012 06:16 PM

X/Display resolution configuration

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:52:18 -0500
Mike Watson wrote:

> My previous box, Fedora 7 used Xorg
> but I can't find the Xorg.conf file for 6.3. All I've found so far is an
> empty directory.

It's set automatically based on the EDID values provided by your monitor. You
can create an xorg.conf file if you really need one, though.

Ali Corbin 10-08-2012 06:18 PM

On Mon, Oct 8, 2012 at 11:16 AM, Frank Cox <theatre@melvilletheatre.com>wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:52:18 -0500
> Mike Watson wrote:
>
> > My previous box, Fedora 7 used Xorg
> > but I can't find the Xorg.conf file for 6.3. All I've found so far is an
> > empty directory.
>
> It's set automatically based on the EDID values provided by your monitor.
> You
> can create an xorg.conf file if you really need one, though.

You only have to put the exceptions in it. X will figure out most of what
he needs himself.
Ali

Marko Vojinovic 10-08-2012 06:21 PM

On Monday, 8. October 2012. 12.52.18 Mike Watson wrote:
> On 10/08/2012 12:38 PM, Nux! wrote:
> > On 08.10.2012 18:20, Mike Watson wrote:
> >> I've installed CentOS 6.3 on a new system. I've a nagging problem
> >> that
> >> I'm trying to fix---the screen resolution changes. I've a flat screen
> >> monitor that has 1600x900 capability. However when I logout and then
> >> log
> >> back in the resolution changes to 1280x1024. When I looked at the
> >> xorg.conf.d directory it was empty---both in /etc and in /usr/share.
> >>
> >> Where is xorg.conf and it's monitor section now? BTW, I'm use KDE.
> >
> > On Gnome you would use gnome-display-properties to set the resolution.
> > Not sure if it works on KDE though.
>
> Tried that. It's present in KDE, too. I've set it numerous times but the
> next time I logout and back in, the resolution drops to a lower density.
> Where is this value stored in 6.3. My previous box, Fedora 7 used Xorg
> but I can't find the Xorg.conf file for 6.3. All I've found so far is an
> empty directory.

KDE/Gnome is irrelevant, the monitor resolution is controlled by X. The proper
way to troubleshoot these issues is to provide us with the output of "xrandr",
and the complete log file /var/log/Xorg.0.log, for both the correct- and wrong-
resolution sessions. It is possible that your monitor is not providing the
correct EDID data, or you have two monitors plugged in at the same time, or
something similar. Please provide the logs and describe your setup (graphics
card, video driver, number of monitors, etc.), and then we should be able to
tell you what is going on and why.

As for the xorg.conf file, it does not exist anymore by default, unless you
create one yourself. The proper path is /etc/X11/xorg.conf . Write the part of
configuration that you need customized (other stuff you can leave to be
autodetected).

HTH, :-)
Marko

Lamar Owen 10-08-2012 06:56 PM

On Monday, October 08, 2012 01:20:41 PM Mike Watson wrote:
> I've installed CentOS 6.3 on a new system. I've a nagging problem that
> I'm trying to fix---the screen resolution changes. I've a flat screen
> monitor that has 1600x900 capability. However when I logout and then log
> back in the resolution changes to 1280x1024. When I looked at the
> xorg.conf.d directory it was empty---both in /etc and in /usr/share.
>
> Where is xorg.conf and it's monitor section now? BTW, I'm use KDE.

Double check your cable. I ran into a widescreen situation a whle back where
one cable didn't work, but the cable that came with the monitor did. The EDID
value comes from the monitor itself, and the cable must be able to support
that in order for the automatic resolution code to properly figure out the
resolution.

In the case I mention, even manually setting the resolution in xorg.conf
didn't work, since the EDID was mangled by the cable.

Keith Roberts 10-08-2012 07:20 PM

On Mon, 8 Oct 2012, Frank Cox wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: Frank Cox <theatre@melvilletheatre.com>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] X/Display resolution configuration
>
> On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 12:52:18 -0500
> Mike Watson wrote:
>
>> My previous box, Fedora 7 used Xorg
>> but I can't find the Xorg.conf file for 6.3. All I've found so far is an
>> empty directory.
>
> It's set automatically based on the EDID values provided by your monitor. You
> can create an xorg.conf file if you really need one, though.

On Centos 5.8 I used system-config-display to generate an
/etc/X11/xorg.conf file

Is this available on Centos 6.x ?

HTH

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Mike Watson 10-08-2012 08:50 PM

X/Display resolution configuration

system-config-display not found on my 6.3 system (new install.)

Mike Watson 10-08-2012 08:54 PM

X/Display resolution configuration

Here's the output of "xrandr." My Xorg.0.log does not exist.

Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1600 x 900, maximum 8192 x 8192
VGA1 connected 1600x900+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
440mm x 250mm
1600x900 60.0*+
1280x1024 75.0 60.0
1280x960 60.0
1280x800 59.8
1152x864 75.0
1280x720 60.0
1024x768 75.1 70.1 60.0
832x624 74.6
800x600 72.2 75.0 60.3 56.2
640x480 72.8 75.0 66.7 60.0
720x400 70.1
HDMI1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DP1 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)

My system will run the 1600x900 60.0*+ selection if I choose it at
login. Otherwise it reverts to a lower selection 1280x1024.

Mike Watson 10-08-2012 09:07 PM

X/Display resolution configuration

Marko, after a reboot, I've found Xorg.0.log but it's VERY long...well
over a thousand lines. Can I send it as an attachment to the mail list?
I hate to just insert 1181 lines of text into an e-mail.