Old 10-08-2012, 09:13 AM
Benjamin Hackl

Default migrating from Centos 5.8 -> 6.3 LDAP Client Config

Dear Goetz,

On Mon, 08 Oct 2012 10:22:16 +0200
Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator <goetz.reinicke@filmakademie.de> wrote:

> May be someone can point me to a good how to or has some
> hints/suggetions?

nslcd provides this service for you. (pkg: nss-pam-ldapd)

/etc/nslcd.conf

And /etc/pam_ldap.conf (pkg: pam_ldap)

Make sure that nslcd is running when starting samba.

Brgds

--
Freundliche Gruesse/Best Regards
Benjamin Hackl

Media FOCUS Research Ges.m.b.H.
Maculangasse 8, 1220 Wien Austria
Tel: +43 1 258 97 01-295
b.hackl@focusmr.com

Old 10-13-2012, 01:47 AM
Gordon Messmer

On 10/12/2012 05:28 AM, Götz Reinicke - IT Koordinator wrote:
> Thanks. Can you tell me why not to use the SSSD? Im not yet familiar
> with it, but found some postings in the web and will try to understand it.
>
> Or is 'nlscd' just the old school way and SSSD the new one?

The old school way was pam_ldap and nss_ldap. nlscd was written to
address some architectural shortcomings in nss_ldap, and so was sssd.

I would definitely go with sssd. Its caching is much better, so it's
going to scale much better. It's the default mechanism in Fedora
releases, so if you need to compare configuration to another client OS
you'll be better equiped.