Old 10-08-2012, 06:10 AM
Emmanuel Noobadmin

Default Removing/disabling console-kit-daemon

I was trying to optimize a minimum memory VM and realized that this
process was taking up over 560M of virt memory. On googling, it seems
to be a known issue and doesn't seem to be needed except for graphical
desktop. Although virt memory isn't actual memory usage, the daemon is
still taking up almost 4MB of limited memory, which on a VM with only
384MB feels relatively significant to me.

Earlier in May, there was also a mailing list thread that indicates
removing console-kit-daemon requires getting rid of hal as well.

Is it safe to remove both console-kit and hal for headless
console-only web application VMs that also needs mdadm?

Old 10-08-2012, 06:13 AM
Nux!

On 08.10.2012 07:10, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> I was trying to optimize a minimum memory VM and realized that this
> process was taking up over 560M of virt memory. On googling, it seems
> to be a known issue and doesn't seem to be needed except for
> graphical
> desktop. Although virt memory isn't actual memory usage, the daemon
> is
> still taking up almost 4MB of limited memory, which on a VM with only
> 384MB feels relatively significant to me.
>
> Earlier in May, there was also a mailing list thread that indicates
> removing console-kit-daemon requires getting rid of hal as well.
>
> Is it safe to remove both console-kit and hal for headless
> console-only web application VMs that also needs mdadm?

Emmanuel,

I think you're going to be fine without hal and ckd.

Nux!
www.nux.ro