Old 04-16-2008, 09:46 PM
Alfred von Campe

Default Centosplus kernel does not have framebuffer support?

I'm still using CentOS 4.6, but have been planning an upgrade to
CentOS 5 for quite a while. One of the things that was holding me
back is that the CentOS 5.0 kernel did not have the framebuffer
support enabled by default. So I waited for CentOS 5.1. However, on
one of my test systems I ran into the bad NFS performance issue (see
CentOS bug 2635), so I plan to use the centosplus kernel. However,
it appears that this kernel does not have the framebuffer support
enabled -- arrgghhh!

So, is this just an oversight or is there a reason for not enabling
the framebuffer support on the centosplus kernel?

Alfred (who really wants to upgrade to CentOS 5 but cannot live with
the NFS performance issue and does not want to build his own kernel
RPMs)

Old 04-16-2008, 11:21 PM
"Akemi Yagi"

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Alfred von Campe <alfred@von-campe.com> wrote:
> I'm still using CentOS 4.6, but have been planning an upgrade to CentOS 5
> for quite a while. One of the things that was holding me back is that the
> CentOS 5.0 kernel did not have the framebuffer support enabled by default.
> So I waited for CentOS 5.1. However, on one of my test systems I ran into
> the bad NFS performance issue (see CentOS bug 2635), so I plan to use the
> centosplus kernel. However, it appears that this kernel does not have the
> framebuffer support enabled -- arrgghhh!
>
> So, is this just an oversight or is there a reason for not enabling the
> framebuffer support on the centosplus kernel?
>
> Alfred (who really wants to upgrade to CentOS 5 but cannot live with the
> NFS performance issue and does not want to build his own kernel RPMs)

I confirm that the centosplus kernel has the framebuffer support disabled:

# CONFIG_FB_VESA is not set

I don't know how this has happened but am sure we will hear from
Johnny Hughes :-D

You have another choice here if you would rather not wait for the next
update of the centosplus kernel. The standard kernel with the same
NFS bug fix is available from:

http://people.centos.org/hughesjr/kernel/5/

I have just checked the kernels in there; they do have the framebuffer
support enabled.

Akemi

Old 04-17-2008, 02:11 PM
Alfred von Campe