Old 10-05-2012, 04:57 PM
Todd Cary

Default PHP version dilemma

I am running Centos 5.8; at least

uname -rmi

gives me centos-release-5-8.el5.centos

A CMS package is telling me that I need PHP 5.2x, however yum
update says that I am fully up to date.

Is there a "safe" way to upgrade PHP to 5.2x?

Todd

--
Ariste Software
Bend, OR 97702

http://www.aristesoftware.com

Old 10-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Brian Mathis

On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
> I am running Centos 5.8; at least
> uname -rmi
> gives me centos-release-5-8.el5.centos
>
> A CMS package is telling me that I need PHP 5.2x, however yum
> update says that I am fully up to date.
>
> Is there a "safe" way to upgrade PHP to 5.2x?
>
> Todd

Take a look at the IUS package repo:
http://iuscommunity.org/pages/About.html

It's the one most people use to get PHP updates. Stay away from the
official "php53" packages distributed with CentOS, as they don't
integrate well with many packages looking for php (it does not
"provide" the "php" capability)

❧ Brian Mathis

Old 10-05-2012, 04:59 PM
Leon Fauster

Am 05.10.2012 um 18:57 schrieb Todd Cary:
> I am running Centos 5.8; at least
>
> uname -rmi
>
> gives me centos-release-5-8.el5.centos
>
> A CMS package is telling me that I need PHP 5.2x, however yum
> update says that I am fully up to date.
>
> Is there a "safe" way to upgrade PHP to 5.2x?

yum remove php

yum install php53

--
LF

Old 10-05-2012, 05:06 PM
Leon Fauster

Am 05.10.2012 um 18:58 schrieb Brian Mathis:
> On Fri, Oct 5, 2012 at 12:57 PM, Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com> wrote:
>> A CMS package is telling me that I need PHP 5.2x, however yum update says that I am fully up to date.
>> Is there a "safe" way to upgrade PHP to 5.2x?
>
> Take a look at the IUS package repo:
> http://iuscommunity.org/pages/About.html
>
> It's the one most people use to get PHP updates. Stay away from the
> official "php53" packages distributed with CentOS, as they don't
> integrate well with many packages looking for php (it does not
> "provide" the "php" capability)

this is valid only if the cms is packaged.

@Todd: Just to clarify - the functionality and reliability
of php53 is not restricted/"faulty" or what ever ...

--
LF

Old 10-05-2012, 05:10 PM
Luigi Rosa

Old 10-05-2012, 05:45 PM
Todd Cary

On 10/5/2012 10:10 AM, Luigi Rosa wrote:

Luigi -

I assume that after saving the php.ini I would

yum remove php

yum install php53

However, I am not sure what you mean by

and then install the php53 packages you previously had

I have been running PHP as it came with Centos 5.

Another question has to do with the GD library. How can I tell
if it is installed *or* is it automatically part of php35?

Oh yes...if there is a problem with php35, are there any problems
in reinstalling php 5.1?

Many thanks

Old 10-05-2012, 05:51 PM
"John R. Dennison"

On Fri, Oct 05, 2012 at 07:06:14PM +0200, Leon Fauster wrote:

> @Todd: Just to clarify - the functionality and reliability
> of php53 is not restricted/"faulty" or what ever ...

Actually, it is. The EL php53 package does not "Provide: php" so any
other package depending on that being present will fail to install
without force. This may or may not be a show-stopper in any particular
environment. There is also no php-mcrypt available in the base CentOS
updates and this is a matter that upstream will not fix; it is, however,
available from EPEL for those that need it. There used to be a number
of other issues with the base php53 packages as supplied by TUV but
many, if not most, of these have been since resolved. I no longer track
the issues as I've long since moved to IUS for php requirements.

As Brian pointed out earlier IUS is the go-to source for php53 / php54
packages that work. Please see:

http://wiki.centos.org/AdditionalResources/Repositories

for more information. There is also a yum-plugin-replace add-on from
IUS that will permit single transaction migration from stock php
packages to the IUS provided php53u packages. Information is available
at the IUS website.

John
--
We're not ending the journey today, we're completing a chapter of a journey
that will never end. Let's light this shuttle one more time ... and

-- Atlantis Commander Chris Ferguson, just before the 11:29:29am EDT
launch of STS-135, the final Space Shuttle mission, 8 July 2011

Old 10-05-2012, 05:54 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 10/05/2012 06:51 PM, John R. Dennison wrote:
>> @Todd: Just to clarify - the functionality and reliability
>> of php53 is not restricted/"faulty" or what ever ...
>
> Actually, it is. The EL php53 package does not "Provide: php" so any
> other package depending on that being present will fail to install
> without force.

Thats exactly what Leon said. And also that only applies to

There is nothing wrong with the php53 rpms provided in the distro - and
I would argue they are better in that they guarantee the api/abi for
another 6 odd years. I suspect the app being deployed will move along
sooner.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Old 10-05-2012, 05:59 PM
Karanbir Singh

erm,
On 10/05/2012 06:54 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Thats exactly what Leon said. And also that only applies to

packages apps - which if Todd was using, he would not have had this
issue since the app would have requested the right build anyway

Old 10-05-2012, 06:00 PM
Luigi Rosa