FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-05-2012, 06:05 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default PHP version dilemma

Am 05.10.2012 um 18:57 schrieb Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>:

> I am running Centos 5.8; at least
>
> uname -rmi
>
> gives me centos-release-5-8.el5.centos
>
> A CMS package is telling me that I need PHP 5.2x, however yum
> update says that I am fully up to date.
>
> Is there a "safe" way to upgrade PHP to 5.2x?
>


Has RedHat ever shipped PHP 5.2?
I thought, I had only seen 5.1 and then 5.3 - but I admit I don't use RedHat or CentOS for PHP if I can avoid it.


The PHP project has stopped supporting PHP 5.2 some time ago and it's on "life support" by
the backports-project: http://code.google.com/p/php52-backports/

E.g. it will drop out of FreeBSD's ports-tree sometime spring 2013. Some Debian release may keep it alive longer.

Does you CMS absolutely need PHP 5.2 or does it also work with PHP 5.3?



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 06:37 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default PHP version dilemma

Am 05.10.2012 um 20:38 schrieb Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>:

> Concrete5 "


http://www.concrete5.org/documentation/background/system_requirements


"PHP 5.2.x or 5.3x"

So use 5.3, please.

GD is included:

http://mirror.switch.ch/ftp/mirror/centos/5.8/os/x86_64/CentOS/


php53-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 1.3M
php53-bcmath-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 42K
php53-cli-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 2.4M
php53-common-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 605K
php53-dba-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 39K
php53-devel-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 591K
php53-gd-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 110K
php53-imap-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 52K
php53-intl-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 76K
php53-ldap-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 37K
php53-mbstring-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 1.2M
php53-mysql-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 92K
php53-odbc-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 53K
php53-pdo-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 67K
php53-pgsql-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 75K
php53-process-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 39K
php53-pspell-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 26K
php53-snmp-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 29K
php53-soap-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 146K
php53-xml-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm 23-Feb-2012 11:20 119K
php53-xmlrpc-5.3.3-5.el5.x86_64.rpm
….


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 06:38 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default PHP version dilemma

On 10/5/2012 11:05 AM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Am 05.10.2012 um 18:57 schrieb Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>:
>
>> I am running Centos 5.8; at least
>>
>> uname -rmi
>>
>> gives me centos-release-5-8.el5.centos
>>
>> A CMS package is telling me that I need PHP 5.2x, however yum
>> update says that I am fully up to date.
>>
>> Is there a "safe" way to upgrade PHP to 5.2x?
>>
>
> Has RedHat ever shipped PHP 5.2?
> I thought, I had only seen 5.1 and then 5.3 - but I admit I don't use RedHat or CentOS for PHP if I can avoid it.
>
>
> The PHP project has stopped supporting PHP 5.2 some time ago and it's on "life support" by
> the backports-project: http://code.google.com/p/php52-backports/
>
> E.g. it will drop out of FreeBSD's ports-tree sometime spring 2013. Some Debian release may keep it alive longer.
>
> Does you CMS absolutely need PHP 5.2 or does it also work with PHP 5.3?
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS@centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
>
>
>
The Error page for Concrete5 "encourages" one not to run php 5.1;
instead to use 5.2. So, I would assume 5.3 will work.

My reading of your suggestion and that of others is to use the
php53 install since it will be upgraded until 2017 (I'll be on
Centos 6 by then if I am still alive :-)).

I also need the GD library...is that part of php53?

Todd

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 06:58 PM
Rainer Duffner
 
Default PHP version dilemma

Am 05.10.2012 um 21:04 schrieb Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>:

>
> What is the best way around this problem:
>
> Resolving Dependencies
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package php53.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
> --> Processing Dependency: php53-common = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package:
> php53
> --> Processing Dependency: php53-cli = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package: php53
> --> Running transaction check
> ---> Package php53-cli.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
> ---> Package php53-common.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
> --> Processing Conflict: php53-common conflicts php-common
> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
> php53-common-5.3.3-13.el5_8.i386 from updates has depsolving problems
> --> php53-common conflicts with php-common
> Error: php53-common conflicts with php-common
> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
> You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
> package-cleanup --dupes
> rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>
>
> I ran yum remove php. Should I have done more?




rpm -qa |grep php |grep -v php53

and remove (that is rpm -e) everything that is php (and not php53).

RHEL5/CentOS5 comes with both php (which is php5.1) and php53 (which is php5.3.something).

You can't nor do you want to have both!


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 07:04 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default PHP version dilemma

What is the best way around this problem:

Resolving Dependencies
--> Running transaction check
---> Package php53.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
--> Processing Dependency: php53-common = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package:
php53
--> Processing Dependency: php53-cli = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package: php53
--> Running transaction check
---> Package php53-cli.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
---> Package php53-common.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
--> Processing Conflict: php53-common conflicts php-common
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
php53-common-5.3.3-13.el5_8.i386 from updates has depsolving problems
--> php53-common conflicts with php-common
Error: php53-common conflicts with php-common
You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
package-cleanup --dupes
rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest


I ran yum remove php. Should I have done more?

Todd



_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 07:37 PM
John R Pierce
 
Default PHP version dilemma

On 10/05/12 12:43 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
> The remaining problem is that version is compiled without GD;
> something I need. Is there an easy way to get php53 WITH gd?

yum install php53-gd, as was pointed out to you several times.



--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default PHP version dilemma

On 10/5/2012 11:58 AM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Am 05.10.2012 um 21:04 schrieb Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>:
>
>> What is the best way around this problem:
>>
>> Resolving Dependencies
>> --> Running transaction check
>> ---> Package php53.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
>> --> Processing Dependency: php53-common = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package:
>> php53
>> --> Processing Dependency: php53-cli = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package: php53
>> --> Running transaction check
>> ---> Package php53-cli.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
>> ---> Package php53-common.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
>> --> Processing Conflict: php53-common conflicts php-common
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> php53-common-5.3.3-13.el5_8.i386 from updates has depsolving problems
>> --> php53-common conflicts with php-common
>> Error: php53-common conflicts with php-common
>> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>> You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
>> package-cleanup --dupes
>> rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>>
>>
>> I ran yum remove php. Should I have done more?
>
>
>
> rpm -qa |grep php |grep -v php53
>
> and remove (that is rpm -e) everything that is php (and not php53).
>
> RHEL5/CentOS5 comes with both php (which is php5.1) and php53 (which is php5.3.something).
>
> You can't nor do you want to have both!
>

Thanks to your assistance, I now have php53 running:
www.toddcary.com/testphp.php !

The remaining problem is that version is compiled without GD;
something I need. Is there an easy way to get php53 WITH gd?

Todd

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 07:48 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default PHP version dilemma

On 10/5/2012 11:58 AM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Am 05.10.2012 um 21:04 schrieb Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>:
>
>> What is the best way around this problem:
>>
>> Resolving Dependencies
>> --> Running transaction check
>> ---> Package php53.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
>> --> Processing Dependency: php53-common = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package:
>> php53
>> --> Processing Dependency: php53-cli = 5.3.3-13.el5_8 for package: php53
>> --> Running transaction check
>> ---> Package php53-cli.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
>> ---> Package php53-common.i386 0:5.3.3-13.el5_8 set to be updated
>> --> Processing Conflict: php53-common conflicts php-common
>> --> Finished Dependency Resolution
>> php53-common-5.3.3-13.el5_8.i386 from updates has depsolving problems
>> --> php53-common conflicts with php-common
>> Error: php53-common conflicts with php-common
>> You could try using --skip-broken to work around the problem
>> You could try running: package-cleanup --problems
>> package-cleanup --dupes
>> rpm -Va --nofiles --nodigest
>>
>>
>> I ran yum remove php. Should I have done more?
>
>
>
> rpm -qa |grep php |grep -v php53
>
> and remove (that is rpm -e) everything that is php (and not php53).
>
> RHEL5/CentOS5 comes with both php (which is php5.1) and php53 (which is php5.3.something).
>
> You can't nor do you want to have both!
Oh yes! And no MySQL support: '--without-mysql' '--without-gd'

Not sure they would do that.

Todd
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 07:50 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default PHP version dilemma

Sorry I missed that...probably the same for MySQL.

Todd

Ariste Software
Bend, OR 97702

http://www.aristesoftware.com

On 10/5/2012 12:37 PM, John R Pierce wrote:
> On 10/05/12 12:43 PM, Todd Cary wrote:
>> The remaining problem is that version is compiled without GD;
>> something I need. Is there an easy way to get php53 WITH gd?
> yum install php53-gd, as was pointed out to you several times.
>
>
>


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 10-05-2012, 07:59 PM
Todd Cary
 
Default PHP version dilemma

On 10/5/2012 11:58 AM, Rainer Duffner wrote:
> Am 05.10.2012 um 21:04 schrieb Todd Cary <todd@aristesoftware.com>:
>

If any of you that were so generous with your assistance (and
patience) should come to Bend, Oregon, please look me up...I owe
you a Boneyard RPM IPA beer!

With appreciation....

Todd Cary

Bend, OR 97702


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 02:09 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org