-   -   gnome-desktop on Centos-6.3 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/709627-gnome-desktop-centos-6-3-a.html)

"James B. Byrne" 10-04-2012 02:42 PM

gnome-desktop on Centos-6.3

I have installed a minimal kvm host system. I wish to provide a
graphical login on the host. To this end I performed the following
group installs:

yum groupinstall "general purpose desktop" "x windows system"

I can login on the host system as root and then run 'startx' which
gives me a desktop, sort of. The top menu bar with the various tool
sets is missing as is the lower status bar. I get the same result
when I log in as a non privileged user. Am I missing some other
package which is required to provide these? I installed gnome-desktop
directly but this action produced no visible change in behaviour.

--
*** E-Mail is NOT a SECURE channel ***
9 Brockley Drive vox: +1 905 561 1241

10-04-2012 02:55 PM

gnome-desktop on Centos-6.3

James B. Byrne wrote:
> I have installed a minimal kvm host system. I wish to provide a
> graphical login on the host. To this end I performed the following
> group installs:
>
> yum groupinstall "general purpose desktop" "x windows system"
>
> I can login on the host system as root and then run 'startx' which
> gives me a desktop, sort of. The top menu bar with the various tool
> sets is missing as is the lower status bar. I get the same result
> when I log in as a non privileged user. Am I missing some other
> package which is required to provide these? I installed gnome-desktop
> directly but this action produced no visible change in behaviour.

Sounds almost like you've got twm running. You might need to switch window
managers.

mark

"James B. Byrne" 10-04-2012 05:15 PM

gnome-desktop on Centos-6.3

On Thu, October 4, 2012 10:55, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
e change in behaviour.

> Sounds almost like you've got twm running. You might need to switch
> window managers.

There is however, not even the minimal title bar that twm is supposed
to provide, or has that been configured out ib the default X-Windows
install?

In any case, how do I switch this to default to gdm for all users?

Nicolas Thierry-Mieg 10-05-2012 09:37 AM

gnome-desktop on Centos-6.3

James B. Byrne wrote:

> On Thu, October 4, 2012 10:55, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> e change in behaviour.
>>
>> Sounds almost like you've got twm running. You might need to switch
>> window managers.
>>

> There is however, not even the minimal title bar that twm is supposed
> to provide, or has that been configured out ib the default X-Windows
> install?
>
> In any case, how do I switch this to default to gdm for all users?

you're starting in runlevel 5 in /etc/inittab right?