Old 04-16-2008, 07:31 PM
Kai Schaetzl

Default {Disarmed} I meet a problem on installing CentOS4.4 ServerCD.

관리자 wrote on Thu, 17 Apr 2008 02:03:44 +0900 (KST):

Funny name ;-)

> I want to use HP Embedded SATA RAID controller for RAID 1 (disk mirroring).

Deja vu, I just installed an HP DL where I thought I had problems with the
external RAID controller, but it hadn't. In bypassing I also had to read some
information about those "HP Embedded SATA RAID controllers". AFAIK, these are
not hardware controllers, but "fakeRAID" and therefore everyone usually
recommends *not* using their RAID functions but using the Linux software RAID
directly with the SATA drives.

Kai

--
Kai Schtzl, Berlin, Germany

Old 04-17-2008, 03:33 PM
"Martyn Drake"

On Wed, Apr 16, 2008 at 8:31 PM, Kai Schaetzl <maillists@conactive.com> wrote:

> Deja vu, I just installed an HP DL where I thought I had problems with the
> external RAID controller, but it hadn't. In bypassing I also had to read some
> information about those "HP Embedded SATA RAID controllers". AFAIK, these are
> not hardware controllers, but "fakeRAID" and therefore everyone usually
> recommends *not* using their RAID functions but using the Linux software RAID
> directly with the SATA drives.

Indeed, the LSI logic controllers that ship with some HP workstations
do not provide adequate RAID protection and as such, is recommended
that you either install another RAID controller in the machine or use
software RAID. The LSI Logic MegaRAID 8888ELP is pretty good,
although a bit pricey. I thoroughly dislike HP's own RAID controller
offerings - had more problems with them than I care to mention here.

Regards,

Martyn
--
Martyn Drake
http://www.drake.org.uk

Old 04-17-2008, 07:41 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Indeed, the LSI logic controllers that ship with some HP workstations
>do not provide adequate RAID protection and as such, is recommended
>that you either install another RAID controller in the machine or use
>software RAID.

Most onboard controllers are pretty lackluster, and those that use fake raid are obviously pretty hokey.

>The LSI Logic MegaRAID 8888ELP is pretty good,
>although a bit pricey. I thoroughly dislike HP's own RAID controller
>offerings - had more problems with them than I care to mention here.

I hope you don't dislike HP's controllers designed for the its servers, like the P800 etc, as they are using the same chip as your preferred controller The e/p line of smart array controllers have been the most rock solid controllers (including my OE LSI's like the one you mention) I have ever used.

jlc

Old 04-17-2008, 08:05 PM
"Martyn Drake"

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:

> I hope you don't dislike HP's controllers designed for the its servers, like the P800 etc, as they are using the same chip as your preferred controller The e/p line
> of smart array controllers have been the most rock solid controllers (including my OE LSI's like the one you mention) I have ever used.

Maybe so, but I've found the P800s to be incredibly flakey.
Performance wise, fine - no problems - but the p800s have failed more
times than I can say. Just transporting machines with them to
customers have been enough to kill the controller. A slight knock
here, a slight knock there - blam. Can't say the same about the
888ELP - we've shipped several and have been absolutely rock solid.

Regards,

Martyn
--
Martyn Drake
http://www.drake.org.uk

Old 04-17-2008, 08:07 PM
"Joseph L. Casale"

>Maybe so, but I've found the P800s to be incredibly flakey.

Wow, they are very nearly the same card! Made by the same folk to? Bad luck I guess, all my SA controllers have been rock solid!

jlc