Old 10-02-2012, 10:29 PM
Frank Cox

Default Samsung Galaxy 3 and Centos

My cell phone provider just sent me a letter stating that my 3 year contract is
up and they will give me a Samsung Galaxy 3 if I will sign a new contract.

I'm wondering how well (or if) that phone will work with Centos 6. My
existing Samsung phone (can't remember the model number) doesn't integrate well
or at all with Centos; whenever I plug it into the computer it finds the phone
but apparently can't actually communicate with it so I can't transfer data back
and forth without having to remove the memory card from the phone and copy
information directly to and from that. Which is a nuisance.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:48 PM
Craig White

On Oct 2, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Frank Cox wrote:

> My cell phone provider just sent me a letter stating that my 3 year contract is
> up and they will give me a Samsung Galaxy 3 if I will sign a new contract.
>
> I'm wondering how well (or if) that phone will work with Centos 6. My
> existing Samsung phone (can't remember the model number) doesn't integrate well
> or at all with Centos; whenever I plug it into the computer it finds the phone
> but apparently can't actually communicate with it so I can't transfer data back
> and forth without having to remove the memory card from the phone and copy
> information directly to and from that. Which is a nuisance.
----
the state of mobile devices and direct connect to linux is not so great. Doesn't really matter whether you are talking about iPhone, Android or WinPhone.

That said, the Galaxy S III has a slot for a mini-SD card and you should be able to make it exchange files via the usb cable but to be honest, I don't bother, even with my Fedora desktop system… I just use SSHDroid and exchange files wirelessly using ssh (you can use rsync via ssh too if you want).

Also, FWIW, the Galaxy S III supports USB storage natively - just get an OTG cable (On the Go) and you can plug in any USB device like a hard drive, an SD card reader or get the SD version of an OTG and plug an SD card directly into the phone and transfer from the phone itself. I ordered OTG cables from Amazon and shipped from Hong Kong they were like $1.50 each. That OTG cable also allows you to plug in a USB keyboard or mouse or whatever - not just storage.

Devices without an SD card (mini or otherwise) are relegated to trying to make MTP work and that's not likely to be such a great option (ahem - like my Google Nexus 7). SSHDroid works fine on the Nexus 7 and also, if you root it (or any other Android phone), you can use 'Stickmount' and again, use the OTG options.

Craig

Old 10-03-2012, 08:52 AM
Dogsbody

>> On Oct 2, 2012, at 3:29 PM, Frank Cox wrote:
>>
>> I'm wondering how well (or if) that phone will work with Centos 6.
>>
>On 02/10/12 23:48, Craig White wrote:>
>
> That said, the Galaxy S III has a slot for a mini-SD card and you should be able to make it exchange files via the usb cable but to be honest, I don't bother, even with my Fedora desktop system… I just use SSHDroid and exchange files wirelessly using ssh (you can use rsync via ssh too if you want).

In the same vein I use Dropbox for this. Dropbox has an option that
will automatically transfer/backup any pictures you take on the phone.
When I'm at home on WiFi I can take a picture of a receipt and it'll be
on my computer before I sit back down. I haven't plugged a phone in for
ages.

Just my 0.02 GBP :-)

Dan

Old 10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Aft nix

Related : http://xkcd.com/619/

--
-aft

Old 10-03-2012, 11:17 AM
Nux!

On 02.10.2012 23:29, Frank Cox wrote:
> My cell phone provider just sent me a letter stating that my 3 year
> contract is
> up and they will give me a Samsung Galaxy 3 if I will sign a new
> contract.
>
> I'm wondering how well (or if) that phone will work with Centos 6.
> My
> existing Samsung phone (can't remember the model number) doesn't
> integrate well
> or at all with Centos; whenever I plug it into the computer it finds
> the phone
> but apparently can't actually communicate with it so I can't transfer
> data back
> and forth without having to remove the memory card from the phone and
> copy
> information directly to and from that. Which is a nuisance.

Hi,

It should work fine; this phone I think supports native usb storage,
just connect the phone with a usb cable and go in Settings somewhere and
activate the usb storage feature. That's how I use my Samsung ave II and
my better half's Galaxy Mini, at least.
There's also Bluetooth if you're looking at transferring files. In
addition to that you can install apps on the phone that can talk CIFS
and FTP..

So no need to really mess with the SD card.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Old 10-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Bowie Bailey

On 10/3/2012 7:17 AM, Nux! wrote:
> On 02.10.2012 23:29, Frank Cox wrote:
>> My cell phone provider just sent me a letter stating that my 3 year
>> contract is
>> up and they will give me a Samsung Galaxy 3 if I will sign a new
>> contract.
>>
>> I'm wondering how well (or if) that phone will work with Centos 6.
>> My
>> existing Samsung phone (can't remember the model number) doesn't
>> integrate well
>> or at all with Centos; whenever I plug it into the computer it finds
>> the phone
>> but apparently can't actually communicate with it so I can't transfer
>> data back
>> and forth without having to remove the memory card from the phone and
>> copy
>> information directly to and from that. Which is a nuisance.
> Hi,
>
> It should work fine; this phone I think supports native usb storage,
> just connect the phone with a usb cable and go in Settings somewhere and
> activate the usb storage feature. That's how I use my Samsung ave II and
> my better half's Galaxy Mini, at least.
> There's also Bluetooth if you're looking at transferring files. In
> addition to that you can install apps on the phone that can talk CIFS
> and FTP..
>
> So no need to really mess with the SD card.

The S3 also comes with "Kies air". This allows you to access almost
everything on the phone through a web browser. There is a java applet
that it uses for file transfers, although I think you can still transfer
single files even without the applet.

I haven't tried it on Linux, but it works just fine with the Windows
version of Chrome and I don't think it is doing anything that would
cause any cross-platform issues.

--
Bowie

Old 10-09-2012, 10:00 PM
Ljubomir Ljubojevic

On 10/03/2012 01:17 PM, Nux! wrote:
> On 02.10.2012 23:29, Frank Cox wrote:
>> My cell phone provider just sent me a letter stating that my 3 year
>> contract is
>> up and they will give me a Samsung Galaxy 3 if I will sign a new
>> contract.
>>
>> I'm wondering how well (or if) that phone will work with Centos 6.
>> My
>> existing Samsung phone (can't remember the model number) doesn't
>> integrate well
>> or at all with Centos; whenever I plug it into the computer it finds
>> the phone
>> but apparently can't actually communicate with it so I can't transfer
>> data back
>> and forth without having to remove the memory card from the phone and
>> copy
>> information directly to and from that. Which is a nuisance.
>
> Hi,
>
> It should work fine; this phone I think supports native usb storage,
> just connect the phone with a usb cable and go in Settings somewhere and
> activate the usb storage feature. That's how I use my Samsung ave II and
> my better half's Galaxy Mini, at least.
> There's also Bluetooth if you're looking at transferring files. In
> addition to that you can install apps on the phone that can talk CIFS
> and FTP..
>
> So no need to really mess with the SD card.

I use HTC Wildfire (Android) with CentOS 6 via USB. It recognizes it
like any other USB Flash drive.

Also, I connect via Home wireless and use FSync app to synchronize
specific folders from FTP server on CentOS and Android.

But there is also Total Commander for Android and it's plugins for
Windows File sharing (Samba on CentOS 6), FTP and WebDAV. Total
Commander is two-panel file manager that I find is THE BEST file manager
on ANY platform, EVER.

--

Ljubomir Ljubojevic
(Love is in the Air)

trusty Spiderman...

Old 10-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Mihamina Rakotomandimby

On 10/10/2012 01:00 AM, Ljubomir Ljubojevic wrote:
> On 10/03/2012 01:17 PM, Nux! wrote:
>> On 02.10.2012 23:29, Frank Cox wrote:
>>> My cell phone provider just sent me a letter stating that my 3 year
>>> contract is
>>> up and they will give me a Samsung Galaxy 3 if I will sign a new
>>> contract.

>> It should work fine; this phone I think supports native usb storage,

Mine doesnt. It uses MTP or PTP.
So, I had to install gvfs gphoto2.

--
RMA.