Old 10-02-2012, 01:00 PM
Timo Schoeler

Default Weird behaviour of ifcfg scripts

Hi,

I accidentally found that the existence of a file e.g. named
ifcfg-eth1:1 put in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ leads to the
appropriate interface being created even with the option 'ONBOOT' set to
'no':

DEVICE="eth1:1"
BOOTPROTO="static"
NM_CONTROLLED="no"
ONBOOT="no"
TYPE="Ethernet"
IPADDR=12.34.56.78
NETMASK=255.255.255.0

Is that intended behaviour?

Old 10-02-2012, 01:23 PM
Timo Schoeler

On 10/02/2012 03:03 PM, thus Reindl Harald spake:

> Am 02.10.2012 15:00, schrieb Timo Schoeler:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I accidentally found that the existence of a file e.g. named
>> ifcfg-eth1:1 put in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ leads to the
>> appropriate interface being created even with the option 'ONBOOT' set to
>> 'no':
>>
>> DEVICE="eth1:1"
>> BOOTPROTO="static"
>> NM_CONTROLLED="no"
>> ONBOOT="no"
>> TYPE="Ethernet"
>> IPADDR=12.34.56.78
>> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
>>
>> Is that intended behaviour?
>
> yes because what you want is ONPARENT since it
> is a pseudo device to assign more than one IP
> to a physical NIC

*facepalm

Thanks, yes.

Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Markus Falb

On 2.10.2012 15:00, Timo Schoeler wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I accidentally found that the existence of a file e.g. named
> ifcfg-eth1:1 put in /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ leads to the
> appropriate interface being created even with the option 'ONBOOT' set to
> 'no':
>
> DEVICE="eth1:1"
> BOOTPROTO="static"
> NM_CONTROLLED="no"