-   -   s3 as mysql directory (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/708877-s3-mysql-directory.html)

John R Pierce 10-01-2012 07:37 PM

s3 as mysql directory

On 10/01/12 11:24 AM, Tim Dunphy wrote:
> So I had an idea. What about uses the fuse based s3fs to mount an S3
> bucket on the local filesystem and use that as your mysql data dir? In
> other words mount your s3 bucket on /var/lib/mysql

databases need fast reliable commited random small block writes. S3
doesn't provide that capability. those sorts of fake file systems tend
to only work well for sequential whole file read/write.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

Leon Fauster 10-01-2012 08:04 PM

s3 as mysql directory

Am 01.10.2012 um 20:24 schrieb Tim Dunphy:
> Hello list,
>
> I am soliciting opinion here as opposed technical help with an idea I
> have. I've setup a bacula backup system on an AWS volume. Bacula stores a
> LOT of information in it's mysql database (in my setup, you can also use
> postgres or sqlite if you chose). Since I've started doing this I notice
> that the mysql data directory has swelled to over 700GB! That's quite a lot
> and its' easting up valuable disk space.
>
> So I had an idea. What about uses the fuse based s3fs to mount an S3
> bucket on the local filesystem and use that as your mysql data dir? In
> other words mount your s3 bucket on /var/lib/mysql
>
> I used this article to setup the s3fs file system
>
> http://benjisimon.blogspot.com/2011/01/setting-up-s3-backup-solution-on-centos.html
>
> And everything went as planned. So my question to you dear listers is if I
> do start using a locally mounted s3 bucket as my mysqld data dir, will
> performance of the database be acceptable? If so, why? If not are there any
> other reasons why it would NOT be a good idea to do this?
>
> The steps I have in mind are basically this:
>
> 1) mysqldump --all-databases > alldb.sql
> 2) stop mysql
> 3) rm -rf /var/lib/mysql/*
> 4) mount the s3 bucket on /var/lib/mysql
> 5) start mysql
> 6) restore the alldb.sql dump

your motivation is to save the resources that are occupied by /var/lib/mysql ??

please check the size of your "mysqldump --all-databases > alldb.sql".

Is the dump also so big?

--
LF