-   -   fsck -fvy ? (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/708284-fsck-fvy.html)

Hadi Motamedi 09-29-2012 08:44 AM

fsck -fvy ?

Dear All
My server got inconsistency from sudden power cut that I fixed it with #fsck -fvy /dev/hda at the maintenance prompt . But after reboot, one of the installed applications is preventing it from booting up (as can be seen in the boot up process list). Can you please let me know how can I remove it from the boot up list to reach the root user prompt and then re-install it again ?
Thank you

Hadi Motamedi 09-29-2012 08:45 AM

fsck -fvy ?

Andy Smith 09-29-2012 10:07 AM

fsck -fvy ?

On 29 September 2012 10:45, Hadi Motamedi <motamedi24@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear All
> My server got inconsistency from sudden power cut that I fixed it with
> #fsck -fvy /dev/hda at the maintenance prompt . But after reboot, one of
> the installed applications is preventing it from booting up (as can be seen
> in the boot up process list). Can you please let me know how can I remove
> it from the boot up list to reach the root user prompt and then re-install
> it again ?
> Thank you

Hi.
Boot up in single user mode
Or press "i" when prompted during early boot stages for interactive boot
and select no when prompted to start your application.
Then "chkconfig <app name> off" to permanently turn it off until you can
fix it.

Regards,
Andy.

Brian 09-29-2012 10:28 AM

fsck -fvy ?

On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 08:44:11 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> My server got inconsistency from sudden power cut that I fixed it with
> #fsck -fvy /dev/hda at the maintenance prompt . But after reboot, one
> of the installed applications is preventing it from booting up (as can
> be seen in the boot up process list). Can you please let me know how
> can I remove it from the boot up list to reach the root user prompt
> and then re-install it again ?

Do you think it might help us to help you if we knew which application
is preventing booting and what it is you see in the boot up process
list?

Hadi Motamedi 09-29-2012 10:43 AM

fsck -fvy ?

> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 11:28:35 +0100
> From: ad44@cityscape.co.uk
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: fsck -fvy ?
>
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 08:44:11 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
> > My server got inconsistency from sudden power cut that I fixed it with
> > #fsck -fvy /dev/hda at the maintenance prompt . But after reboot, one
> > of the installed applications is preventing it from booting up (as can
> > be seen in the boot up process list). Can you please let me know how
> > can I remove it from the boot up list to reach the root user prompt
> > and then re-install it again ?
>
> Do you think it might help us to help you if we knew which application
> is preventing booting and what it is you see in the boot up process
> list?

Thank you for your reply. Actually , it is a third party application names omcd that I have installed on my server . After rebooting the server , it read as :
Startup
Setting clock************** [ok]
Starting sshd************* [ok]
Starting xinetd*********** [ok]
Starting Mysql*********** [ok]
Starting atd*************** [ok]
Starting omcd

Then it waits endlessly on "Starting omcd" without any success. Can you please let me know how c
an I remove it from the system boot process to be able to reach the system root prompt and then re-install it from scratch ?

Brian 09-29-2012 11:37 AM

fsck -fvy ?

On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 10:43:46 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. Actually , it is a third party application
> names omcd that I have installed on my server . After rebooting the
> server , it read as :
> Startup
> Setting clock [ok]
> Starting sshd [ok]
> Starting xinetd [ok]
> Starting Mysql [ok]
> Starting atd [ok]
> Starting omcd
>
> Then it waits endlessly on "Starting omcd" without any success. Can
> you please let me know how can I remove it from the system boot
> process to be able to reach the system root prompt and then re-install
> it from scratch ?

At the GRUB screen press edit the entry you highlight. Add 'single' to
the linux line and boot. Alternatively, you might have a rescue entry
displayed by GRUB. You can use this instead.

Provide the root password when asked. Assuming omcd is being started
from /etc/init.d/omcd, do

update-rc.d omcd disable

and reboot.

Hadi Motamedi 09-29-2012 12:04 PM

fsck -fvy ?

> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 12:37:41 +0100
> From: ad44@cityscape.co.uk
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: fsck -fvy ?
>
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 10:43:46 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your reply. Actually , it is a third party application
> > names omcd that I have installed on my server . After rebooting the
> > server , it read as :
> > Startup
> > Setting clock [ok]
> > Starting sshd [ok]
> > Starting xinetd [ok]
> > Starting Mysql [ok]
> > Starting atd [ok]
> > Starting omcd
> >
> > Then it waits endlessly on "Starting omcd" without any success. Can
> > you please let me know how can I remove it from the system boot
> > process to be able to reach the system root pro
mpt and then re-install
> > it from scratch ?
>
> At the GRUB screen press edit the entry you highlight. Add 'single' to
> the linux line and boot. Alternatively, you might have a rescue entry
> displayed by GRUB. You can use this instead.
>
> Provide the root password when asked. Assuming omcd is being started
> from /etc/init.d/omcd, do
>
> update-rc.d omcd disable
>
> and reboot.

Thank you very much for your help. But unfortunately, the grub boot loader screen is not enabled in my case here. Is there still any solution that I can solve my problem or I need to try fresh OS installation from scratch ?

Brian 09-29-2012 12:14 PM

fsck -fvy ?

On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:04:38 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Thank you very much for your help. But unfortunately, the grub boot
> loader screen is not enabled in my case here. Is there still any
> solution that I can solve my problem or I need to try fresh OS
> installation from scratch ?

Someone is bound to ask how you are booting if you are not doing it from
GRUB. Unless you mean you do use it but have dispensed with displaying a
GRUB screen.

Hadi Motamedi 09-29-2012 12:37 PM

fsck -fvy ?

> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:14:55 +0100
> From: ad44@cityscape.co.uk
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: fsck -fvy ?
>
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:04:38 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
> > Thank you very much for your help. But unfortunately, the grub boot
> > loader screen is not enabled in my case here. Is there still any
> > solution that I can solve my problem or I need to try fresh OS
> > installation from scratch ?
>
> Someone is bound to ask how you are booting if you are not doing it from
> GRUB. Unless you mean you do use it but have dispensed with displaying a
> GRUB screen.

121455.GG22368@desktop

Excuse me , I am rebooting my machine by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del and at the start up I do not see the grub screen. Do I need to try for a fresh OS install from scratch?

Brian 09-29-2012 12:52 PM

fsck -fvy ?

On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:37:57 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Excuse me , I am rebooting my machine by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del and at
> the start up I do not see the grub screen. Do I need to try for a
> fresh OS install from scratch?

A fresh OS install should not be needed. Hold the shift key down
immediately after rebooting. That is supposed to bring up the GRUB
screen.

What did you mean by "maintenence prompt' in your first mail? How did
you get this prompt?