Old 09-29-2012, 12:58 PM
Hadi Motamedi

Default fsck -fvy ?

> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 13:52:25 +0100
> From: ad44@cityscape.co.uk
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: fsck -fvy ?
>
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:37:57 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
> > Excuse me , I am rebooting my machine by pressing Alt+Ctrl+Del and at
> > the start up I do not see the grub screen. Do I need to try for a
> > fresh OS install from scratch?
>
> A fresh OS install should not be needed. Hold the shift key down
> immediately after rebooting. That is supposed to bring up the GRUB
> screen.
>
> What did you mean by "maintenence prompt' in your first mail? How did
> you get this prompt?

//lists.debian.org/20120929125225.GH22368@desktop

Thank you for your reply. I got file system inconsistency check and the prompt to enter the root password to get system maintenance. At there , I issued fsck and then reboot.

Old 09-29-2012, 01:04 PM
Brian

On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:58:38 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:

> Thank you for your reply. I got file system inconsistency check and
> the prompt to enter the root password to get system maintenance. At
> there , I issued fsck and then reboot.

Ah, I see.

Did you try holding down the shift key to make the GRUB menu visible?

Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 PM
Wolf Halton

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 9:04 AM, Brian <ad44@cityscape.co.uk> wrote:
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:58:38 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your reply. I got file system inconsistency check and
>> the prompt to enter the root password to get system maintenance. At
>> there , I issued fsck and then reboot.
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> Did you try holding down the shift key to make the GRUB menu visible?

Remember to hold the shift key at the very beginning of the boot -
black screen. If you actually see a debian splash-screen (if you have
a gui front end on) or any of the startup lines for debian, you are
too late.

You could also try using a live disc and mounting the hard drive
partition and check the rcN.d folders (where N= a number from 0 to 6)
look for the Sxxomcd link and remove it (where xx= some number from 00
to 99). This used to work for almost all services, but it is a legacy
system that works on fewer things all the time..

Open-Source Software in Libraries - http://FOSS4Lib.org
Apache Open Office Developer wolfhalton@apache.org

Old 09-30-2012, 05:02 AM
Hadi Motamedi

> Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2012 14:04:17 +0100
> From: ad44@cityscape.co.uk
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
> Subject: Re: fsck -fvy ?
>
> On Sat 29 Sep 2012 at 12:58:38 +0000, Hadi Motamedi wrote:
>
> > Thank you for your reply. I got file system inconsistency check and
> > the prompt to enter the root password to get system maintenance. At
> > there , I issued fsck and then reboot.
>
> Ah, I see.
>
> Did you try holding down the shift key to make the GRUB menu visible?

Thank you very much for your help. At the GRUB screen, I added "single" then "update-rc.d omcd disable"
and reboot . It worked out.
Thank you again for your help

Old 10-01-2012, 04:38 AM
hadi motamedi