-   -   Apache : Listen on ports other than 80 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/708192-apache-listen-ports-other-than-80-a.html)

09-28-2012 07:06 PM

Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

-----Original Message-----
From: adekunleadekoya@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 18:49:33
To: <CentOS@mailing.list>
Subject: Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

Hi,
I just install centos 6.3 on my oracle virtualbox. I tried 2 configure apache 2 listen on port say 1010 but after adding a 'Listen 1010' to the httpd.conf file and then try 2 restart d httpd service, I found that d service failed to start. If I remove the 'Listen 1010' line then d httpd service restarts successfully. What do I need to do so I could instruct d web server to use other ports (besides 80) ?

Are there default settings in centos that are causing this prob ? I have done same experiment successfully wit apache on windows. I need to setup virtualhost with my apache on centos. I need help now. Pls help!

Regards

Kunle

Leon Fauster 09-28-2012 07:47 PM

Am 28.09.2012 um 21:06 schrieb adekunleadekoya@gmail.com:

> I just install centos 6.3 on my oracle virtualbox. I tried 2 configure
> apache 2 listen on port say 1010 but after adding a 'Listen 1010' to
> the httpd.conf file and then try 2 restart d httpd service, I found
> that d service failed to start. If I remove the 'Listen 1010' line
> then d httpd service restarts successfully. What do I need to do so
> I could instruct d web server to use other ports (besides 80) ?
>
> Are there default settings in centos that are causing this prob ? I
> have done same experiment successfully wit apache on windows. I need
> to setup virtualhost with my apache on centos. I need help now. Pls help!

check the <VirtualHost *:PORT> directive (and NameVirtualHost *:PORT).

--
LF

09-28-2012 08:30 PM

Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

I saw this error msg : 'permission denied:make_sock : could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:1010.
No listening sockets available,shutting down' .
> I just install centos 6.3 on my oracle virtualbox. I tried 2
> configure apache 2 listen on port say 1010 but after adding a
> 'Listen 1010' to the httpd.conf file and then try 2 restart d
> httpd service, I found that d service failed to start. If I remove
> the 'Listen 1010' line then d httpd service restarts successfully.
> What do I need to do so I could instruct d web server to use other
> ports (besides 80) ?
>
> Are there default settings in centos that are causing this prob ?
> I have done same experiment successfully wit apache on windows. I
> need to setup virtualhost with my apache on centos. I need help
> now. Pls help!
>
> Regards
>
> Kunle

Start by looking in the apache error log. I think you'll get hints
there on what the problem is.

- Richard

John R Pierce 09-28-2012 08:41 PM

On 09/28/12 1:30 PM, adekunleadekoya@gmail.com wrote:
> I saw this error msg : 'permission denied:make_sock : could not bind to address 0.0.0.0:1010.
> No listening sockets available,shutting down' .

is another process listening on 1010 ?

netstat -an |grep :1010

look for lines with LISTEN on the end ...

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

09-28-2012 08:47 PM

Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

I v run d netstat and no result(i.e no process is listening on port 1010). Also I telnet 127.0.0.1 1010 just 2 confirm that no process is using the port. I can't figure out why the port(and any other except 80) would not work!

John R Pierce 09-28-2012 08:50 PM

On 09/28/12 1:47 PM, adekunleadekoya@gmail.com wrote:
> I v run d netstat and no result(i.e no process is listening on port 1010). Also I telnet 127.0.0.1 1010 just 2 confirm that no process is using the port. I can't figure out why the port(and any other except 80) would not work!

selinux ?

try setting it to 'permissive' if its in 'enforcing', and see if it
works. if so, you'll need to adjust the selinux policy to allow apache
to listen on more ports.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

09-28-2012 08:50 PM

Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

I am running as a root user. I am very much aware that a non-privileged user can't access some functions. But again, I am running centos from my oracle virtualbox. I hope the virtual machine is not a factor?
>> I saw this error msg : 'permission denied:make_sock : could not
>> bind to address 0.0.0.0:1010. No listening sockets
>> available,shutting down' .
>
> is another process listening on 1010 ?
>
> netstat -an |grep :1010
>
> look for lines with LISTEN on the end ...

or, are you trying to start apache from a non-privileged user? ports
through 1024 are reserved and only root can bind processes to them.

- Richard

09-28-2012 08:52 PM

Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

What is 'selinux ?' and selinux policy ? Are there commands I need to access these ? I wld b glad to know this.
> I v run d netstat and no result(i.e no process is listening on port 1010). Also I telnet 127.0.0.1 1010 just 2 confirm that no process is using the port. I can't figure out why the port(and any other except 80) would not work!

selinux ?

try setting it to 'permissive' if its in 'enforcing', and see if it
works. if so, you'll need to adjust the selinux policy to allow apache
to listen on more ports.

--
john r pierce N 37, W 122
santa cruz ca mid-left coast

09-28-2012 08:54 PM

Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

adekunleadekoya@gmail.com wrote:
> What is 'selinux ?' and selinux policy ? Are there commands I need to
> access these ? I wld b glad to know this.

ARRRGHGHHGHGHGHHHH!!!!

Have you ever considered google as a tool?
Say, google on selinux?

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Security-Enhanced_Linux>

mark

09-28-2012 08:59 PM

Apache : Listen on ports other than 80

Ok, wld google later in the day. Am off my pc but using my mobile now which gives only email access. Thanks for the new insight. Really, I am new to linux and just using centos to learn about linux. I appreciate the kind and timely support offered by this mailing list.