Old 09-28-2012, 02:45 PM
Boris Epstein

Default load balancer recommendation

Hello all,

If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?

Thanks.

Boris.

Old 09-28-2012, 03:15 PM
Alexander Dalloz

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Load_Balancer_Administration/s1-lvs-block-diagram-VSA.html

> Thanks.
>
> Boris.

Alexander

Old 09-28-2012, 03:18 PM

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 28.09.2012 16:45, schrieb Boris Epstein:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
>> CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?
>
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Load_Balancer_Administration/s1-lvs-block-diagram-VSA.html
>

> Alexander

And webseal, part of IBM's Tivoli, is NOT something you want to use.

mark

Old 09-28-2012, 03:31 PM
Brian Mathis

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
> CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?
>
> Thanks.
> Boris.

You need to be more specific about your requirements. There are basic
IP-based load balancers such as Piranha, and more advanced layer 7
balancers such as HAproxy. They all have benefits and drawbacks, so
without any further requirements, your question cannot be meaningfully
answered.

What kind of traffic are you balancing? If HTTP, then do you also
need HTTPS support? What about session affinity? What kind of
backend application are you using, and will it support balancing as
well?

❧ Brian Mathis

Old 10-01-2012, 10:10 AM
John Doe

From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com>

> If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
> CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?

We use (an old) keepalived/ipvs in direct routing here...
Works fine; except for the apparent lack of good (up to date) documentation.

JD

Old 10-01-2012, 10:16 AM
Bent Terp

If you're talking about web traffic, I'd recommend Varnish: cache and
load-balancer in one application.

BR Bent