-   -   load balancer recommendation (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/708143-load-balancer-recommendation.html)

Boris Epstein 09-28-2012 02:45 PM

load balancer recommendation

Hello all,

If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?

Thanks.

Boris.

Alexander Dalloz 09-28-2012 03:15 PM

https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Load_Balancer_Administration/s1-lvs-block-diagram-VSA.html

> Thanks.
>
> Boris.

Alexander

09-28-2012 03:18 PM

Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 28.09.2012 16:45, schrieb Boris Epstein:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
>> CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?
>
> https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Load_Balancer_Administration/s1-lvs-block-diagram-VSA.html
>

> Alexander

And webseal, part of IBM's Tivoli, is NOT something you want to use.

mark

Brian Mathis 09-28-2012 03:31 PM

On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 10:45 AM, Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
> CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?
>
> Thanks.
> Boris.

You need to be more specific about your requirements. There are basic
IP-based load balancers such as Piranha, and more advanced layer 7
balancers such as HAproxy. They all have benefits and drawbacks, so
without any further requirements, your question cannot be meaningfully
answered.

What kind of traffic are you balancing? If HTTP, then do you also
need HTTPS support? What about session affinity? What kind of
backend application are you using, and will it support balancing as
well?

❧ Brian Mathis

John Doe 10-01-2012 10:10 AM

load balancer recommendation

From: Boris Epstein <borepstein@gmail.com>

> If I were looking for a load balancer to run on a Linux - specifically,
> CentOS - machine - what would you recommend?

We use (an old) keepalived/ipvs in direct routing here...
Works fine; except for the apparent lack of good (up to date) documentation.

JD

Bent Terp 10-01-2012 10:16 AM

load balancer recommendation

If you're talking about web traffic, I'd recommend Varnish: cache and
load-balancer in one application.

BR Bent