-   -   Prelink failure (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/708100-prelink-failure.html)

Lars Hecking 09-28-2012 12:30 PM

Prelink failure

I have a number of CentOS6 machines, and on one of them, the daily prelink
cron job aborts. Any ideas what to look for?

/etc/cron.daily/prelink:

/etc/cron.daily/prelink: line 47: 9381 Aborted (core dumped) /usr/sbin/prelink -av $PRELINK_OPTS >> /var/log/prelink/prelink.log 2>&1

I'm unfamiliar with prelink, so I'm not sure what to look for in the logs.
Grepping out recurring entries like "Could not find one of the dependencies",
"^Prelinking", "^Linking", "undefined non-weak symbols", "Could not prelink",
the interesting stuff remaining is

/usr/sbin/prelink: /opt/lgtonmc/bin/libcommonssl2.so is not present in any config file directories, nor was specified on command line
/usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/pgsql-9.1/lib/libpq.so.5.4 is not present in any config file directories, nor was specified on command line
/usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/bin/emacs-23.1: COPY relocations don't point into .bss or .sbss section
/usr/sbin/prelink: /usr/bin/emacs-23.1-nox: COPY relocations don't point into .bss or .sbss section
Prelink failed with return value 134

"Hugh E Cruickshank" 09-28-2012 05:30 PM

Prelink failure

From: Lars Hecking Sent: September 28, 2012 05:30

> I have a number of CentOS6 machines, and on one of them, the
> daily prelink
> cron job aborts. Any ideas what to look for?

Hi Lars:

I can not tell you much about prelink however we recently encountered
a similar problem. Check the /var/log/prelink/prelink.log file for
more details on what caused the abort.

We were not able to resolve our issue and decided to disable prelink
(there seems to be much differing opinions as to whether or not prelink
is still required). If you decide to disable prelink then Dag Wieers
has instructions on his web site on how to do this:

http://dag.wieers.com/howto/compatibility/

So far we have not noticed any significant performance issues as a
result of this change.

HTH

Regards, Hugh

--
Hugh E Cruickshank, Forward Software, www.forward-software.com

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn 09-28-2012 06:01 PM

Prelink failure

On 09/28/2012 07:30 PM, Hugh E Cruickshank wrote:
> From: Lars Hecking Sent: September 28, 2012 05:30
>>
>> I have a number of CentOS6 machines, and on one of them, the
>> daily prelink
>> cron job aborts. Any ideas what to look for?
>
> Hi Lars:
>
> I can not tell you much about prelink however we recently encountered
> a similar problem. Check the /var/log/prelink/prelink.log file for
> more details on what caused the abort.
>
> We were not able to resolve our issue and decided to disable prelink
> (there seems to be much differing opinions as to whether or not prelink
> is still required). If you decide to disable prelink then Dag Wieers
> has instructions on his web site on how to do this:
>
> http://dag.wieers.com/howto/compatibility/
>
> So far we have not noticed any significant performance issues as a
> result of this change.

Prelink is useful on desktop systems where it improves the startup
performance of applications. On a server you don't really care if apache,
mysql, etc. take 50ms longer to start.

Regards,
Dennis

Lars Hecking 09-30-2012 07:54 PM

Prelink failure

> We were not able to resolve our issue and decided to disable prelink
> (there seems to be much differing opinions as to whether or not prelink
> is still required). If you decide to disable prelink then Dag Wieers
> has instructions on his web site on how to do this:

Hugh, I found out what caused the problem and worked around it.

I remembered a recent posting to the networker mailing list where certain
system tools stopped working correctly since the networker libraries were
in the library search path; networker is what sets this machine apart from
the other CentOS6 machines.

Using trial and error, and file listings for the networker rpms, I narrowed
the problem down and was able to avoid it by adding

# cd /etc/prelink.conf.d
# cat networker.conf
-b /usr/lib/nsr
#