-   -   rename network card device /dev/p3p2 to /dev/eth0 (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/707722-rename-network-card-device-dev-p3p2-dev-eth0.html)

KNOPS Manfred 09-27-2012 05:19 AM

rename network card device /dev/p3p2 to /dev/eth0

Hello,

My name is Manfred. I have to install a flexlm license server on a pc with centos 6.3 as operating system.
This machine contains two network cards. An Ethernet card and a wifi card.
For the Ethernet card centos generates a device called p3p2.
For the wifi card centos generates a device called wlan0.

In this configuration the flexlm license program called lmgrd only got the mac address of wlan0.
The vendor daemon got no mac address as host ID.

Yesterday I made one test. Therefore I edited /etc/udev/rules.d/70-peristant-net.rules. This file contains only one line. This line defines how to name the device for the wifi card. I changed the name Option from name="wlan0" to name="eth0". After rebooting centos generates a device called /dev/et0. Both lmgrd and vendor daemon found the host ID. But lmgrd and safetech can't communicate together.

As next I will try to rename /dev/p3p2 which is the device for the Ethernet card. I guess, if I can generate a device called /dev/eth0 for the Ethernet card the license server should work. But in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persitant-net.rules is no rule for this device.

How can I configure centos to generate /dev/eth0 for the Ethernet card?

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards / Cordialement,

Manfred

This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential and/or privileged.

If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this email in error,

(ii) please notify sender of your receipt by reply email and delete this email and all attachments,

(iii) Dassault Systemes does not accept or assume any liability or responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email.

For other languages, go to http://www.3ds.com/terms/email-disclaimer

Digimer 09-27-2012 05:27 AM

rename network card device /dev/p3p2 to /dev/eth0

Check for a typo where you got the 'et0', that's not a normal name (emX,
ethX, pXpY and wlanX are the usual).

As for a general comment/guide; make sure you've updated the
/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-X files (note the DEVICE="..." and
HWADDR="..." lines).

Here's a general guide for renaming devices under EL6 (inc. CentOS 6.3,
which I rename NICs under often without trouble).

digimer

On 09/27/2012 01:19 AM, KNOPS Manfred wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Manfred. I have to install a flexlm license server on a pc with centos 6.3 as operating system.
> This machine contains two network cards. An Ethernet card and a wifi card.
> For the Ethernet card centos generates a device called p3p2.
> For the wifi card centos generates a device called wlan0.
>
> In this configuration the flexlm license program called lmgrd only got the mac address of wlan0.
> The vendor daemon got no mac address as host ID.
>
> Yesterday I made one test. Therefore I edited /etc/udev/rules.d/70-peristant-net.rules. This file contains only one line. This line defines how to name the device for the wifi card. I changed the name Option from name="wlan0" to name="eth0". After rebooting centos generates a device called /dev/et0. Both lmgrd and vendor daemon found the host ID. But lmgrd and safetech can't communicate together.
>
> As next I will try to rename /dev/p3p2 which is the device for the Ethernet card. I guess, if I can generate a device called /dev/eth0 for the Ethernet card the license server should work. But in /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persitant-net.rules is no rule for this device.
>
> How can I configure centos to generate /dev/eth0 for the Ethernet card?
>
> Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best Regards / Cordialement,
>
> Manfred
>
> This email and any attachments are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed and may be confidential and/or privileged.
>
> If you are not one of the named recipients or have received this email in error,
>
> (i) you should not read, disclose, or copy it,
>
> (ii) please notify sender of your receipt by reply email and delete this email and all attachments,
>
> (iii) Dassault Systemes does not accept or assume any liability or responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email.
>
> For other languages, go to http://www.3ds.com/terms/email-disclaimer

Digimer
Papers and Projects: https://alteeve.ca
"Hydrogen is just a colourless, odorless gas which, if left alone in
sufficient quantities for long periods of time, begins to think about
itself."

KNOPS Manfred 09-27-2012 05:36 AM

rename network card device /dev/p3p2 to /dev/eth0

Hi digimer,

Sorry, I made a mistake.
"... After rebooting centos generates a device called /dev/et0. ..."
should be
"... After rebooting centos generates a device called /dev/eth0. ..."

CentOS made it. I got what I want.

Where is the general guide? I didn't understood what you mean.

Mit freundlichen Grussen / Best Regards / Cordialement,
Manfred KNOPS

Tru Huynh 09-27-2012 07:06 AM

On Thu, Sep 27, 2012 at 05:36:36AM +0000, KNOPS Manfred wrote:
> Hi digimer,
>
> Sorry, I made a mistake.
> "... After rebooting centos generates a device called /dev/et0. ..."
> should be
> "... After rebooting centos generates a device called /dev/eth0. ..."
>
> CentOS made it. I got what I want.
>
> Where is the general guide? I didn't understood what you mean.

the keywork you are looking for is biosdevname

Lan-On-Motherboard interfaces
em <port number>
(ethernet-on-motherboard <1,2,..>)
PCI add-in interfacesi

[tru@fural ~]# biosdevname -d | awk '/BIOS device/ {new=$3} /Kernel name/ {old=$3} /Assigned MAC/ {mac=$4; print old" "new" "mac}'
eth0 em1 00:25:90:66:AA:48
eth1 em2 00:25:90:66:AA:49
eth2 p4p1 A0:36:9F:03:28:64
eth3 p4p2 A0:36:9F:03:28:65
eth4 p4p3 A0:36:9F:03:28:66
eth5 p4p4 A0:36:9F:03:28:67

ref:
http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/consistent_network_device_naming_migration_guide_r hel_6.pdf
http://linux.dell.com/files/whitepapers/consistent_network_device_naming_in_linux-v1.3.pdf

Tru
--
Tru Huynh (mirrors, CentOS i386/x86_64 Package Maintenance)