-   -   make /home/user without all the maps (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/707492-make-home-user-without-all-maps.html)

Johan Vermeulen 09-26-2012 10:30 AM

make /home/user without all the maps

Dear All,

I would like to make a whole lot of homedirs without Documents,
Downloads , ....
like it was in CentOs5.

I know I have to adapt something in /etc/skel but cannot find out how to
do it.

Anyone can give me a hand with this?

greetings , J.

--
IT-medewerker

Opensource Software is the future.

Nux! 09-26-2012 11:13 AM

On 26.09.2012 11:30, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> I would like to make a whole lot of homedirs without Documents,
> Downloads , ....
> like it was in CentOs5.
>
> I know I have to adapt something in /etc/skel but cannot find out how
> do it.
>
> Anyone can give me a hand with this?
>
> greetings , J.

Hello Johan,

Those directories are not from /etc/skel, I believe Gnome creates them,
however I do no know how atm.
Only issuing a "useradd" command will not create those directories.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

John Austin 09-26-2012 11:25 AM

On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 12:13 +0100, Nux! wrote:
> On 26.09.2012 11:30, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
> > Dear All,
> >
> > I would like to make a whole lot of homedirs without Documents,
> > Downloads , ....
> > like it was in CentOs5.
> >
> > I know I have to adapt something in /etc/skel but cannot find out how
> > do it.
> >
> > Anyone can give me a hand with this?
> >
> > greetings , J.
>
> Hello Johan,
>
> Those directories are not from /etc/skel, I believe Gnome creates them,
> however I do no know how atm.
> Only issuing a "useradd" command will not create those directories.

Maybe

yum remove xdg-user-dirs-gtk

John

Keith Roberts 09-26-2012 12:06 PM

On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, John Austin wrote:

> To: centos@centos.org
> From: John Austin <ja@jaa.org.uk>
> Subject: Re: [CentOS] make /home/user without all the maps
>
> On Wed, 2012-09-26 at 12:13 +0100, Nux! wrote:
>> On 26.09.2012 11:30, Johan Vermeulen wrote:
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I would like to make a whole lot of homedirs without Documents,
>>> Downloads , ....
>>> like it was in CentOs5.
>>>
>>> I know I have to adapt something in /etc/skel but cannot find out how
>>> do it.
>>>
>>> Anyone can give me a hand with this?

Take a look at this:

IIRC the answer to your question may be in this guide:

Advanced Bash-Scripting Guide
An in-depth exploration of the art of shell scripting
by Mendel Cooper

http://tldp.org/LDP/abs/html/

But I cannot point you to the particular location in that
documentation.

HTH (sort of;)

Keith

Websites:
http://www.karsites.net
http://www.php-debuggers.net
http://www.raised-from-the-dead.org.uk

TMDA [http://tmda.net]

Nux! 09-26-2012 12:16 PM

On 26.09.2012 12:25, John Austin wrote:
> Maybe
>
> yum remove xdg-user-dirs-gtk

Good find! This has lead me to:
/etc/xdg/user-dirs.conf
/etc/xdg/user-dirs.defaults

Johan, that's what you need to customise.

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Scott Robbins 09-26-2012 12:22 PM

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 01:06:27PM +0100, Keith Roberts wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Sep 2012, John Austin wrote:
>
> > To: centos@centos.org
> > From: John Austin <ja@jaa.org.uk>
> > Subject: Re: [CentOS] make /home/user without all the maps

I'm looking in /etc/skel, and I see a .gnome directory--as I don't have
Gnome installed, it seems to be empty on my machine. So, perhaps moving
that somewhere temporarily might handle those files--they sound like
Desktop files, possibly Gnome related. (A guess on my part, as, when I
tried creating a test user on my system, there was no Downloads directory.

I do seem to remember either firefox or Chrome creating that directory at
some point when I downloaded a file--it may have even been something like
the directory does not exist should I create it and me clicking OK.

--
Scott Robbins
PGP keyID EB3467D6

Angel: Donuts?
Wesley: Developed a sweet fang, have you?