Old 09-23-2012, 10:03 AM
Keith Roberts

Default Problems with widescreen (16:9) under CentOS 5 w/ xorg-x11-drv-i810-1.6.5-9.40.el5

On Sat, 22 Sep 2012, Robert Heller wrote:
*snipped*

> These machine boot off the network and then mount their root (/), /usr,
> and /home file systems via NFS from the server and function otherwise
> as normal workstations. And they work great with 4:3 monitors.
> Recently, because of new cataloging and circulation software which
> seems to have been designed by (open source) developers who probably
> have new widescreen monitors on their machines, we have put widescreen
> (16:9) monitors on three of the machines (various menus and toolbars
> don't fit on a 4:3 monitor, even at 1280x1024 [19-20" monitor]). But
> we are having some problems getting the proper aspect ratio (or even a
> display at all) on two of the three.

*snipped*

Hi Rob.

What desktop GUI are these machines using?

Is there some way you get each machine to use it's own
custom xorg.conf file, that you can tweak for each
particular machine?

I use this this in my PC running Centos 5.8 32 bit,
and XFCE desktop, to give me a tall virtual screen that I
can scroll around vertically:

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "single head configuration"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"