Old 09-23-2012, 02:50 AM
"Joseph L. Casale"

Default tutorial or guide to write RPM Spec file

>Are there tutorials available in official CentOS documentation for
>writing RPM Spec file

See this page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package

There are a few pointers you should get used to and after a few you'll be fine.

Don't build as root, do something like this:

yum install rpm-build redhat-rpm-config rpmdevtools
useradd rpmbuilder
su - rpmbuilder
echo "timestamping = on" >.wgetrc
rpmdev-setuptree

The vim-common package also provides a template spec, but I would suggest
downloading some srpm's and extracting them and looking at the specs they
have.

wget 'http://vault.centos.org/6.3/os/Source/SPackages/postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.src.rpm'
rpm2cpio postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.src.rpm |cpio -dim
vi postfix.spec

Look at a few, google the cmds you don't understand...
jlc

Old 09-23-2012, 02:57 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 8:20 AM, Joseph L. Casale
<jcasale@activenetwerx.com> wrote:
>>Are there tutorials available in official CentOS documentation for
>>writing RPM Spec file
>
> See this page: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_an_RPM_package
>
> There are a few pointers you should get used to and after a few you'll be fine.
>
> Don't build as root, do something like this:
>
> yum install rpm-build redhat-rpm-config rpmdevtools
> useradd rpmbuilder
> su - rpmbuilder
> echo "timestamping = on" >.wgetrc
> rpmdev-setuptree
>
> The vim-common package also provides a template spec, but I would suggest
> downloading some srpm's and extracting them and looking at the specs they
> have.
>
> wget 'http://vault.centos.org/6.3/os/Source/SPackages/postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.src.rpm'
> rpm2cpio postfix-2.6.6-2.2.el6_1.src.rpm |cpio -dim
> vi postfix.spec
>
> Look at a few, google the cmds you don't understand...
> jlc

Thanks Joseph for the reply with lucid explanation. really appreciated
and will definitely post questions to this mailing list if i get into
any issues.

Regards

Kaushal

Kaushal

Old 09-23-2012, 10:09 AM
Keith Roberts

On Sun, 23 Sep 2012, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:

> From: Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com>
> Subject: [CentOS] tutorial or guide to write RPM Spec file
>
> Hi,
>
> Are there tutorials available in official CentOS documentation for
> writing RPM Spec file

Hi Kaushal.

You might also find the RPM documentation usefull.

http://rpm.org/wiki/Docs#UserDocumentation

I found this guide was very helpfull:

http://www.rpm.org/max-rpm-snapshot/

The bit about signing packages is out of date, it was
written using PGP, but that is now replaced with GPG.

Apart from that it is a pretty good guide to using RPM, and
how to build packages as well.

Kind Regards,

Keith

Websites: