Old 09-23-2012, 01:55 AM
Kaushal Shriyan

Default Deciding CentOS version in live production environment

Hi,

Can someone please guide me in deciding which specific CentOS Linux
version viz 5.8 and 6.3 be used in Live production environment. Any
merits and demerits of using either of these versions.

Regards

Kaushal

Old 09-23-2012, 01:56 AM
Digimer

Not having any idea what you want to do with it;

6.x will be supported until 2020, 5 until 2017. Bother are stable.

On 09/22/2012 09:55 PM, Kaushal Shriyan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Can someone please guide me in deciding which specific CentOS Linux
> version viz 5.8 and 6.3 be used in Live production environment. Any
> merits and demerits of using either of these versions.
>
> Regards
>
> Kaushal

Digimer
Papers and Projects: https://alteeve.ca

Old 09-23-2012, 04:31 AM
Keith Keller

On 2012-09-23, Kaushal Shriyan <kaushalshriyan@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can someone please guide me in deciding which specific CentOS Linux
> version viz 5.8 and 6.3 be used in Live production environment. Any
> merits and demerits of using either of these versions.

You should use 6 unless you have a specific reason to use 5. CentOS 6
has more recent libraries which will support newer applications that
might be problematic with CentOS 5. It's usually not a problem, but for
commercial software where you can not recompile it can definitely be an
issue.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us