-   -   automatic repartitioning (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/706248-automatic-repartitioning.html)

Abel Lopez 09-21-2012 09:19 PM

automatic repartitioning

Hello all.
Does anyone have any suggestions for making centos cloud images that can automatically repartition the root device to resize the filesystem?

All the Ubuntu UEC images do this, so using the same image, you can launch cloud instances of a variety of flavors and the VM instance will repartition the root disk and resize the fs.
The Ubuntu images utilize scripts in the initramfs dpkg that handle this. Just curious if anyone has been able to replicate this functionality.

09-21-2012 09:28 PM

automatic repartitioning

Abel Lopez wrote:
> Hello all.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for making centos cloud images that can
> automatically repartition the root device to resize the filesystem?
>
> All the Ubuntu UEC images do this, so using the same image, you can launch
> cloud instances of a variety of flavors and the VM instance will
> repartition the root disk and resize the fs.
> The Ubuntu images utilize scripts in the initramfs dpkg that handle this.
> Just curious if anyone has been able to replicate this functionality.

I'm unfamiliar with Ubuntu's facility, but it sounds like a ks thing.

mark

SilverTip257 09-21-2012 10:17 PM

automatic repartitioning

Yes, it can be done.
Kickstart configs are the solution.

Note: I generally do not have more than one LV or physical partition
that is set to --grow. But it was out of simplicity and I didn't have
a need.

Given the online documentation, it does look like you can specify more
than one. But it does appear to only apply to LVM LVs.
Look for the following line in the documentation [0].
logvol / --vgname=myvg --size=1 --name=rootvol --grow --percent=90

I won't get around to testing this until Monday, so if you find
something out before then please share!
I can see this being plenty helpful for a web server kickstart I have
(where /var grows and / is fixed ... might be nice to have them
balance out a bit).

[0] https://access.redhat.com/knowledge/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Installation_Guide/s1-kickstart2-options.html

---~~.~~---
Mike
// SilverTip257 //

Karanbir Singh 09-21-2012 10:43 PM

automatic repartitioning

On 09/21/2012 10:19 PM, Abel Lopez wrote:
> Hello all.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for making centos cloud images that can automatically repartition the root device to resize the filesystem?

this is done via a hook in cloud-init ( which is available for CentOS-5
and 6 in EPEL ). You just need to make sure your cloud instance provides
the right config information.

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Nux! 09-21-2012 10:45 PM

automatic repartitioning

On 21.09.2012 22:19, Abel Lopez wrote:
> Hello all.
> Does anyone have any suggestions for making centos cloud images that
> can automatically repartition the root device to resize the
> filesystem?
>
> All the Ubuntu UEC images do this, so using the same image, you can
> launch cloud instances of a variety of flavors and the VM instance
> will repartition the root disk and resize the fs.
> The Ubuntu images utilize scripts in the initramfs dpkg that handle
> this. Just curious if anyone has been able to replicate this
> functionality.

You want to read this
http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos-devel/2012-September/008893.html

Nux!
www.nux.ro

Abel Lopez 09-21-2012 11:32 PM

automatic repartitioning

Thanks Nux, I used your image, and I see resizing works as expected.
Odd, I too use the cloud-init rpm, but mine just ignores it. I can take what you have and make it work.

Nux! 09-22-2012 08:21 AM

automatic repartitioning

On 22.09.2012 00:32, Abel Lopez wrote:
> Thanks Nux, I used your image, and I see resizing works as expected.
> Odd, I too use the cloud-init rpm, but mine just ignores it. I can
> take what you have and make it work.

That's because I don't rely on cloud-init to do it; it's done from the
initramfs with fdisk, before the fs gets mounted.
You can decompress the initramfs and in the "mount" directory you will
find my script (called 05-something).

Nux!
www.nux.ro