-   -   DRM EDID Error (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/704526-drm-edid-error.html)

Eugene Poole 09-17-2012 03:11 AM

DRM EDID Error

I'm running the following hardware:

MSI 890FXA-GD70 motherboard
With a AMI v1.7 BIOS
AMD Phenom II X6 (1055T)
8 GB RAM (2 x 4 GB DIMM)
nVidia Geforce 7300 (G72) video Card
ViewSonic VA2431wvm monitor
Plus

The OS is:

CentOS release 6.3 (Final)
2.6.32-279.5.2.el6.centos.plus.x86_64

Actually, on this machine I'm getting the following error during bootup:

[drm:drm_edid_block_valid} *ERROR* EDID checksum is invalid,
remainder is (222; 122; 251; but mostly 128)

From time to time the video locks up and sometimes goes black. But the
keyboard and mouse usage can be seen via lights blinking whei I enter
something on the keyboard. And I can see what I entered when the
display returns.

I know the monitor, keyboard, and mouse are not the problem because I
have 3 machines on a KVM using the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
Could this be my video card going bad? I read another posting where it
was suggested to add 'Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"' into the xorg.conf, but
this machine doesn't have a xorg.conf file.

Any information will be helpful.

Gene

Lamar Owen 09-17-2012 03:08 PM

DRM EDID Error

On Sunday, September 16, 2012 11:11:01 PM Eugene Poole wrote:
> I know the monitor, keyboard, and mouse are not the problem because I
> have 3 machines on a KVM using the same monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
> Could this be my video card going bad? I read another posting where it
> was suggested to add 'Option "IgnoreEDID" "1"' into the xorg.conf, but
> this machine doesn't have a xorg.conf file.

I ran into this sort of issue due to the video cable. If you're running with a KVM, you may want to check both the KVM to monitor cable and the video card to KVM cable. Also try it straight to the monitor. All video cables are not equal.

In the case that I ran into, the cable that came with the monitor worked well; a third party cable (new, not used, and not a 'cheap' cable) did not work at all for EDID information (that is, the resolution would not auto-set, and I couldn't get widescreen resolutions because of it). The monitor was quite similar to your ViewSonic, and the video was almost the same exact card. Once I went to the monitor's cable, everything worked perfectly. Note that this particular cable was the 15 pin analog VGA cable, not a DVI cable.

I'm not sure if it was the nVidia card being finicky, or if it was the monitor; it takes both to successfully grab the EDID info for auto-resolution.