-   -   placing x11 libraries in an alternate location (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/704313-placing-x11-libraries-alternate-location.html)

Rita 09-16-2012 12:29 PM

placing x11 libraries in an alternate location

we have close to 50 servers. I would like to have X11 libraries (and
devel). Instead of installing them one by one on all servers, I would like
to have them in a central NFS location and have my app pick them up like
that. Is it possible to do this with yum/rpm ?

Kahlil Hodgson 09-18-2012 04:12 AM

On 16/09/12 22:29, Rita wrote:
> we have close to 50 servers. I would like to have X11 libraries (and
> devel). Instead of installing them one by one on all servers, I would like
> to have them in a central NFS location and have my app pick them up like
> that. Is it possible to do this with yum/rpm ?

I've done this before on Solaris and regretted it. Worked well to start
with, but turned into a World Of Pain.

It might be technically possible, if the RPMs are relocatable, or you
did something cute with soft-links, but it will take a fair bit of
mucking around, and will probably cause you bigger and harder to solve
problems later on. Think about upgrading :-(

Might I suggest and alternative question: "How do I easily install and
maintain X11 libraries on 50+ servers?".

Puppet, Chef, or Bcfg2 could do it but it will probably take you a long
time to get your head around those beasts, let alone setting up the
infrastructure.

A much simpler solution is ansible: http://ansible.github.com/.

Very easy to learn. Very easy to use. You can read _all_ the docs in
under an hour. You should be able to set it up in a few minutes.

The following will ensure the latest version of xorg (and any
dependencies) is installed on all my servers (updating/installing 10 at
a time).

#> ansible all -m yum name=xorg state=latest -f 10

It can do a lot more, but that should solve your immediate problem.

Hope this helps,

Kal
--
Kahlil (Kal) Hodgson GPG: C9A02289
Head of Technology (m) +61 (0) 4 2573 0382

Suite 1415
401 Docklands Drive
Docklands VIC 3008 Australia

"All parts should go together without forcing. You must remember that
the parts you are reassembling were disassembled by you. Therefore,
if you can't get them together again, there must be a reason. By all
means, do not use a hammer." -- IBM maintenance manual, 1925

Karanbir Singh 09-18-2012 08:18 AM

On 09/18/2012 05:12 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> Puppet, Chef, or Bcfg2 could do it but it will probably take you a long
> time to get your head around those beasts, let alone setting up the
> infrastructure.

I dont know about that - it took me about 20 min to get my head around
the basic 'types' in puppet and another 20 min to get the infra setup to
manage about 5 machines ( this was when I was starting out with puppet ~
2006'ish ? )

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax

Leon Fauster 09-18-2012 08:41 AM

Am 18.09.2012 um 10:18 schrieb Karanbir Singh:
> On 09/18/2012 05:12 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>> Puppet, Chef, or Bcfg2 could do it but it will probably take you a long
>> time to get your head around those beasts, let alone setting up the
>> infrastructure.
>>

> I dont know about that - it took me about 20 min to get my head around
> the basic 'types' in puppet and another 20 min to get the infra setup to
> manage about 5 machines ( this was when I was starting out with puppet ~
> 2006'ish ? )

your preconditions (skills) helped you to reduce the
needed effort (efficiency). that must be normalized
first to be comparable :-)

--
LF

Leon Fauster 09-18-2012 08:43 AM

Am 18.09.2012 um 06:12 schrieb Kahlil Hodgson:
> On 16/09/12 22:29, Rita wrote:
>> we have close to 50 servers. I would like to have X11 libraries (and
>> devel). Instead of installing them one by one on all servers, I would like
>> to have them in a central NFS location and have my app pick them up like
>> that. Is it possible to do this with yum/rpm ?
>
> I've done this before on Solaris and regretted it. Worked well to start
> with, but turned into a World Of Pain.
>
> It might be technically possible, if the RPMs are relocatable, or you
> did something cute with soft-links, but it will take a fair bit of
> mucking around, and will probably cause you bigger and harder to solve
> problems later on. Think about upgrading :-(
>
> Might I suggest and alternative question: "How do I easily install and
> maintain X11 libraries on 50+ servers?".
>
> Puppet, Chef, or Bcfg2 could do it but it will probably take you a long
> time to get your head around those beasts, let alone setting up the
> infrastructure.
>
> A much simpler solution is ansible: http://ansible.github.com/.

that looks interesting - thanks to share it.

--
LF

Kahlil Hodgson 09-18-2012 10:56 AM

On 18/09/12 18:18, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 05:12 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>> Puppet, Chef, or Bcfg2 could do it but it will probably take you a long
>> time to get your head around those beasts, let alone setting up the
>> infrastructure.
>>
> I dont know about that - it took me about 20 min to get my head around
> the basic 'types' in puppet and another 20 min to get the infra setup to
> manage about 5 machines ( this was when I was starting out with puppet ~
> 2006'ish ? )

I'm impressed :-)

I had a look at Puppet early this year, planning to migrate to it from
existing Bcfg2 set up. There is a lot of good documentation, but there
seemed to be a lot of options and it was not clear to me what the best
path forward was. Reading a copy of Pro Puppet cleared things up, but I
was still estimating the migration to take at least a week or two, with
some hard thinking about relationships and structures.

Gordon Messmer 09-20-2012 03:47 PM

On 09/18/2012 03:56 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
> I had a look at Puppet early this year, planning to migrate to it from
> existing Bcfg2 set up.

Out of curiosity, what features motivated the migration? I use bcfg2,
and the idea of using a system that doesn't feature reporting,
interactive mode, or a "diff" from the running system is... difficult.
Rather like trying to imagine using git or mercurial if they didn't
support a "diff" command. You could still use them to manage your
files, but would you want to?

Les Mikesell 09-20-2012 04:08 PM

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Gordon Messmer <yinyang@eburg.com> wrote:
> On 09/18/2012 03:56 AM, Kahlil Hodgson wrote:
>> I had a look at Puppet early this year, planning to migrate to it from
>> existing Bcfg2 set up.
>
> Out of curiosity, what features motivated the migration?

And has anyone looked at salt (http://saltstack.org/) yet? I like the
concept of clients always being connected over an encrypted zeromq
link, but haven't tackled anything more than running commands over it
yet (which isn't really the right way to use it).

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Gordon Messmer 09-20-2012 10:04 PM

On 09/20/2012 09:08 AM, Les Mikesell wrote:
> And has anyone looked at salt (http://saltstack.org/) yet?

I've looked at its documentation and talked to a few users. As far as I
can tell, it has fewer features than bcfg2 -- including no "diff" function.

Karanbir Singh 09-20-2012 10:07 PM

On 09/20/2012 04:47 PM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> Out of curiosity, what features motivated the migration? I use bcfg2,
> and the idea of using a system that doesn't feature reporting,
> interactive mode, or a "diff" from the running system is... difficult.

you should look at puppet, since it does all of those things and a bunch
more - add in mcollective and theforeman to the mix, and you have quite
a nice provision, manage and maintain environ ( I'd say add zabbix,
while keeping an eye on sensu and extramon, in and you have an almost
complete stack there ). The only bit that I think were still missing in
the open source world is a good inventory management layer that
interfaces upstream and downstream.

- KB