Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Les Mikesell

Default placing x11 libraries in an alternate location

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 5:07 PM, Karanbir Singh <mail-lists@karan.org> wrote:

> you should look at puppet, since it does all of those things and a bunch
> more - add in mcollective and theforeman to the mix, and you have quite
> a nice provision, manage and maintain environ ( I'd say add zabbix,
> while keeping an eye on sensu and extramon, in and you have an almost
> complete stack there ). The only bit that I think were still missing in
> the open source world is a good inventory management layer that
> interfaces upstream and downstream.

I keep hoping someone will glue racktables and ocsinventory-ng
together... Someone is at least working on a rest api for racktables.
And you might like opennms for monitoring since they've added a
provisioning concept to interface with an inventory database.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 09-20-2012, 11:02 PM
Gordon Messmer

On 09/20/2012 03:07 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> you should look at puppet, since it does all of those things and a bunch
> more

So I'd log in to a client managed by puppet and type what to see a
'diff' style report indicating how the puppet master would modify the
system?

Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
Karanbir Singh

On 09/21/2012 12:02 AM, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 09/20/2012 03:07 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>> you should look at puppet, since it does all of those things and a bunch
>> more
>
> So I'd log in to a client managed by puppet and type what to see a
> 'diff' style report indicating how the puppet master would modify the
> system?

puppetd --test --noop

you can even partially apply manifests etc,

Also, we are likely offtopic here, the puppet lists are a good resource
for these things

--
Karanbir Singh
ICQ: 2522219 | Yahoo IM: z00dax | Gtalk: z00dax