Old 04-15-2008, 10:19 PM
"Tito Valentin"

Default Upgrading MySQL from 4.1 to 5

Hello All,

I am trying to upgrade MySQL on CentOS 4.5 but having a hard time.* I need to go from MySQL 4.1 to 5.* I downloaded the following two files:

mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm
mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386.rpm

I tried to do:

yum install mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm

And get:

Setting up Install Process
Setting up repositories
Parsing package install arguments

Examining mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm: mysql-server - 5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386
Marking mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm as an update to mysql-server - 4.1.20-3.RHEL4.1.el4_6.1.i386
Resolving Dependencies

--> Populating transaction set with selected packages. Please wait.
---> Package mysql-server.i386 0:5.0.58-1.el4.centos set to be updated
--> Running transaction check
--> Processing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15 for package: mysql-server

--> Processing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) for package: mysql-server
--> Processing Dependency: libmysqlclient_r.so.15 for package: mysql-server
--> Processing Dependency: libmysqlclient_r.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) for package: mysql-server

--> Processing Dependency: mysql = 5.0.58-1.el4.centos for package: mysql-server
--> Finished Dependency Resolution
Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15 is needed by package mysql-server
Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) is needed by package mysql-server

Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient_r.so.15 is needed by package mysql-server
Error: Missing Dependency: libmysqlclient_r.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) is needed by package mysql-server
Error: Missing Dependency: mysql = 5.0.58-1.el4.centos is needed by package mysql-server

I then did yum update mysql and it update the current MySQL files but on the same version and not to 5.* How do I get libmysqlclient.so.15 installed if I have libmysqlclient.so.10 installed because it looks like that is what it needs to be able to complete or at least go through my upgrade.

Thanks,

Old 04-15-2008, 10:24 PM
Morten Nilsen

Tito Valentin wrote:
I am trying to upgrade MySQL on CentOS 4.5 but having a hard time. I
need to go from MySQL 4.1 to 5. I downloaded the following two files:

mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm
mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386.rpm

I tried to do:

yum install mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm

The command to use here would be rpm -Uvh, as these packages are not in
the yum system.

You would need to uninstall the current mysql first, however - and to
migrate any data, you need to use mysqldump --all --opt before that, and
then import it back after 5.x is installed.

Last time I checked, you could not use the same database files for
different major versions of MySQL - I could be wrong on this point, however.

--
Cheers,
Morten

Old 04-15-2008, 11:12 PM
"Tito Valentin"

If I am going to run "rpm -Uvh" then why would I need to remove the current mysql server?* If I remove the current mysql, shouldn't I run "rpm -ivh" instead?

Thanks for the help so far.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:33 PM
Les Mikesell

Tito Valentin wrote:
If I am going to run "rpm -Uvh" then why would I need to remove the
current mysql server? If I remove the current mysql, shouldn't I run
"rpm -ivh" instead?

If a package isn't already installed -U does the same as -i. In most
cases you can use -U without bothering to check if one is already
installed or not.

--
Les Mikesell
lesmikesell@gmail.com

Old 04-15-2008, 11:53 PM
"Tito Valentin"

I still have problems installing even after I have removed the old mysql:

[root@titov tmp]# rpm -Uvh mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386.rpm
error: Failed dependencies:
******* libmysqlclient.so.15 is needed by mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386

******* libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) is needed by mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386
******* mysql-libs = 5.0.48-2.el4.centos is needed by mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386
[root@titov tmp]# rpm -Uvh mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm

error: Failed dependencies:
******* libmysqlclient.so.15 is needed by mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386
******* libmysqlclient.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) is needed by mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386
******* libmysqlclient_r.so.15 is needed by mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386

******* libmysqlclient_r.so.15(libmysqlclient_15) is needed by mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386
******* mysql = 5.0.58-1.el4.centos is needed by mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386

I can't find that library anywhere to install it

Old 04-16-2008, 12:06 AM
"Filipe Brandenburger"

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 7:53 PM, Tito Valentin <daemonracing@gmail.com> wrote:
> I still have problems installing even after I have removed the old mysql:
>
> [root@titov tmp]# rpm -Uvh mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386.rpm
> error: Failed dependencies:
> mysql-libs = 5.0.48-2.el4.centos is needed by mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386

You need mysql-libs-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386.rpm

If you read the above message with attention, you'll see it's quite
explicit there what's the missing dependency.

You'll probably have to upgrade all RPMs at once, so run rpm -Uvh and
then pass all the rpms as parameters on the same line.

HTH,
Filipe

Old 04-16-2008, 12:14 AM
John R Pierce

Tito Valentin wrote:

Hello All,

I am trying to upgrade MySQL on CentOS 4.5 but having a hard time. I
need to go from MySQL 4.1 to 5. I downloaded the following two files:

mysql-server-5.0.58-1.el4.centos.i386.rpm
mysql-5.0.48-2.el4.centos.i386.rpm

You do notice, those are two different versions? one is 5.0.58-1 and
the other 5.0.48-2, you can't mix these. and, as others have said, you
need more RPMs than just that.

Old 04-16-2008, 02:27 AM
"Bart Schaefer"

On Tue, Apr 15, 2008 at 3:19 PM, Tito Valentin <daemonracing@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to upgrade MySQL on CentOS 4.5 but having a hard time. I need
> to go from MySQL 4.1 to 5.

Having gone through this process about 7 months ago: It's not
recommended to do a "binary upgrade", that is, to simply install the
newer mysql server and attempt to continue using the same database
files. Depending on which storage engines you're using, it can fail
rather spectacularly.

Instead you should:
- stop all clients accessing the mysql 4 server
- flush tables and run a full mysqldump
- shut down the mysql 4 server
- make a backup of /var/lib/mysql
- completely remove /var/lib/mysql
- remove mysql 4 and install 5
(you can do this in one operation with "rpm -Uvh ...")
- start up the mysql 5 server and configure root password etc.
- reload the dump from the first step
- follow the instructions in the online mysql documentation to update
grants etc.

Also pay careful attention to the changes in timestamp column
behavior, default characters sets and collations, etc. There's
extensive documentation on the mysql website, but it's not really all
in one place and may take some digging.