Linux Archive

Linux Archive (http://www.linux-archive.org/)
-   CentOS (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/)
-   -   directory /dev/disk/by-label (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/703845-directory-dev-disk-label.html)

Jerry Geis 09-14-2012 03:50 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
I am trying to create a CF card that boots 686 CentOS 6.3
On boot I get a message about /dev/disk/by-label/x2f where x2f is "/"
cannot be found.

Adding rdshell to the boot line and booting up sure enough
the /dev/disk directory does not exist.

What "creates" that early on in the boot process?

My CF card was changed from UUID to LABEL. So I edited grub.conf and make
root=LABEL=/
like the OLD 5.X days.
Clearly I have missed something else when swithing back to a LABEL method.
I want to use LABEL because I want to duplicate cards.

Thanks,

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

09-14-2012 06:17 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
Jerry Geis wrote:
> I am trying to create a CF card that boots 686 CentOS 6.3
> On boot I get a message about /dev/disk/by-label/x2f where x2f is "/"
> cannot be found.
>
> Adding rdshell to the boot line and booting up sure enough
> the /dev/disk directory does not exist.
>
> What "creates" that early on in the boot process?
>
> My CF card was changed from UUID to LABEL. So I edited grub.conf and make
> root=LABEL=/
> like the OLD 5.X days.
> Clearly I have missed something else when swithing back to a LABEL method.
> I want to use LABEL because I want to duplicate cards.

If you load the card into something else, and look at the label (e2label
...), is the card partition labelled?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Jerry Geis 09-14-2012 07:48 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
>
> If you load the card into something else, and look at the label (e2label
> ...), is the card partition labelled?
>
> mark
mark

Yes one of the steps I did was use "e2label /dev/sda1 / "
I did run e2label /dev/sda1 and it said /


Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

09-14-2012 08:01 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
Jerry Geis wrote:
>>
>> If you load the card into something else, and look at the label (e2label
>> ...), is the card partition labelled?
>
> Yes one of the steps I did was use "e2label /dev/sda1 / "
> I did run e2label /dev/sda1 and it said /
>
Next question: what drive does the system see it as? You can try adding
rdshell to the end of the kernel line in grub, which gives you a very
rudimentary shell, and you can see what drive the *system* thinks it is.
Bet it's not grub's (hd0,0).

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Yves Bellefeuille 09-14-2012 10:27 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
On Friday 14 September 2012, Jerry Geis <geisj@pagestation.com> wrote:

> My CF card was changed from UUID to LABEL. So I edited grub.conf and
> make root=LABEL=/
> like the OLD 5.X days.
> Clearly I have missed something else when swithing back to a LABEL
> method. I want to use LABEL because I want to duplicate cards.

Did you remember to change /etc/fstab so that it agrees with grub.conf?

--
Yves Bellefeuille <yan@storm.ca>
"Simply put, E=mc^2 is liberal claptrap." -- Conservapedia.com

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Jerry Geis 09-17-2012 12:22 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
> Next question: what drive does the system see it as? You can try adding
> rdshell to the end of the kernel line in grub, which gives you a very
> rudimentary shell, and you can see what drive the *system* thinks it is.
> Bet it's not grub's (hd0,0).
>
> mark
Mark

Ok I booted back up this morning with rdshell.
Was looking around and could really tell much.
What exactly am I looking for?
/dev/disk does not exist
I did not see anything disk related in /dev.
I tried to mount /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 and got errors on both.

dmesg gave be output but could not pipe through grep, I could redirect
to file but then did not know how to view the file by page in rdshell.

Thanks,

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

09-17-2012 01:15 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
Jerry Geis wrote:
>> Next question: what drive does the system see it as? You can try adding
>> rdshell to the end of the kernel line in grub, which gives you a very
>> rudimentary shell, and you can see what drive the *system* thinks it is.
>> Bet it's not grub's (hd0,0).
>
> Ok I booted back up this morning with rdshell.
> Was looking around and could really tell much.
> What exactly am I looking for?
> /dev/disk does not exist
> I did not see anything disk related in /dev.
> I tried to mount /dev/hda1 and /dev/sda1 and got errors on both.
>
> dmesg gave be output but could not pipe through grep, I could redirect
> to file but then did not know how to view the file by page in rdshell.
>
You need to read the help while in rdshell. For some obscure reason, there
doesn't seem to be a man page, at least on the first page of googling, and
that after trying a man on it. Try looking at
<http://tuxers.com/main/instigating-a-manual-boot-from-the-grub-prompt/>
Yes, I know he's ubuntu, but down here, there's not much difference. The
tab is *very* useful, since it will try autocomplete.

Hope this helps some.

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Jerry Geis 09-17-2012 01:31 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
> You need to read the help while in rdshell. For some obscure reason, there
> doesn't seem to be a man page, at least on the first page of googling, and
> that after trying a man on it. Try looking at
> <http://tuxers.com/main/instigating-a-manual-boot-from-the-grub-prompt/>
> Yes, I know he's ubuntu, but down here, there's not much difference. The
> tab is *very* useful, since it will try autocomplete.
>
> Hope this helps some.
>
> mark
Ok - so I am looking at the GRUB stuff, I boot up, hit c for command
type ls and I get "unrecognized command". Not off to a good start...

Hit TAB and sure enough ls is not listed there. Perhaps that is part of
grub2?

Anyway still looking...
Thanks

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

09-17-2012 01:58 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
Jerry Geis wrote:
>> You need to read the help while in rdshell. For some obscure reason,
>> there doesn't seem to be a man page, at least on the first page of
googling,
>> and that after trying a man on it. Try looking at
>> <http://tuxers.com/main/instigating-a-manual-boot-from-the-grub-prompt/>
>> Yes, I know he's ubuntu, but down here, there's not much difference. The
>> tab is *very* useful, since it will try autocomplete.
>>
>> Hope this helps some.
>>
> Ok - so I am looking at the GRUB stuff, I boot up, hit c for command
> type ls and I get "unrecognized command". Not off to a good start...
>
> Hit TAB and sure enough ls is not listed there. Perhaps that is part of
> grub2?
>
> Anyway still looking...

Found something better - it's RH/fedora, so this may work better.

<http://dailypackage.fedorabook.com/index.php?/archives/158-System-Recovery-Week-Rescue-Mode-and-Reinstalling-Grub.html>

Go down about a third of the page.

One command to try is root <tab>

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

Jerry Geis 09-17-2012 02:19 PM

directory /dev/disk/by-label
 
> *setup (hd0)*
> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
> Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
> Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
> Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
> Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 16 sectors are embedded.
> succeeded
> Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2
> /grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
> Done.
Mark,

I entered the grub shell and ran the above. All looked good.

My issue is after that, grub is booting and all that, kernel starts up,
starts printing a bunch of stuff.
just at some point it says NO root filesystem found.

Jerry

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:41 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.