FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > CentOS > CentOS

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

Jerry Geis wrote:
>> *setup (hd0)*
>> Checking if "/boot/grub/stage1" exists... no
>> Checking if "/grub/stage1" exists... yes
>> Checking if "/grub/stage2" exists... yes
>> Checking if "/grub/e2fs_stage1_5" exists... yes
>> Running "embed /grub/e2fs_stage1_5 (hd0)"... 16 sectors are embedded.
>> succeeded
>> Running "install /grub/stage1 (hd0) (hd0)1+16 p (hd0,0)/grub/stage2
>> /grub/grub.conf"... succeeded
>> Done.
> Mark,
>
> I entered the grub shell and ran the above. All looked good.
>
> My issue is after that, grub is booting and all that, kernel starts up,
> starts printing a bunch of stuff.
> just at some point it says NO root filesystem found.

And that, to me, tells me that the kernel line in your grub.conf is wrong.
Specifically, I'd guess there's a problem with the parameters
root=<whatever> If you're using label, and I apologize if you know this,
it must read root=LABEL=<mylabel> I don't really know if the word label
must be capitalized, btw. For non-labelled, non-UUID,
root=/dev/<partition>, and the root line, as opposed to the root parm on
the kernel line, is the odd (hdx,y), and y is /dev/devy - 1, partition 1
is 0.

Good reference:
<http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/GrubInstallation>

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:21 PM
"Yves Bellefeuille"
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:

> Good reference:
> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/GrubInstallation>

I'm the author of the said good reference, and I would again suggest
that you check /etc/fstab to make sure that it agrees with grub.conf
about the location of / .

Yves Bellefeuille


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 03:23 PM
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

Yves Bellefeuille wrote:
> m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>
>> Good reference:
>> <http://wiki.centos.org/HowTos/GrubInstallation>
>
> I'm the author of the said good reference, and I would again suggest
> that you check /etc/fstab to make sure that it agrees with grub.conf
> about the location of / .

Oh, right, I'd missed suggesting that. Possibly a good catch, Yves. *Does*
the fstab have the correct label in it for /?

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:26 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

yes on the kernel command line I have:

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.59 ro root=LABEL=/

and in the /etc/fstab I have

LABEL=/ / ext4 defaults,noatime 1 1

I have verified that /dev/sda1 has label "/"


Jerry

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 04:53 PM
"Yves Bellefeuille"
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

Jerry Geis wrote:

> kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.59 ro root=LABEL=/
>
> and in the /etc/fstab I have
>
> LABEL=/ / ext4 defaults,noatime 1 1
>
> I have verified that /dev/sda1 has label "/"

Because of the information in a previous message, I think you have a
separate partition for /boot. Is that the case and, if so, did you
consider section 5.1 of the Grub Installation information?

(For what it's worth, I don't recommend having a separate partition
for /boot.)

Also, vmlinuz-2.6.32.59 doesn't look right; I think it should be
vmlinuz-2.6.32.59.el6 or so.

I guess I should ask you to post /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab,
and the outpout of "df" and "ls -l /boot".

Yves Bellefeuille


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

> Because of the information in a previous message, I think you have a
> separate partition for /boot. Is that the case and, if so, did you
> consider section 5.1 of the Grub Installation information?
>
> (For what it's worth, I don't recommend having a separate partition
> for /boot.)
>
> Also, vmlinuz-2.6.32.59 doesn't look right; I think it should be
> vmlinuz-2.6.32.59.el6 or so.
>
> I guess I should ask you to post /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab,
> and the outpout of "df" and "ls -l /boot".
No I have one partition in this case.
/dev/sda1 is everything
/dev/sda2 is swap


_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:04 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

On 09/17/2012 01:04 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> Because of the information in a previous message, I think you have a
>> separate partition for /boot. Is that the case and, if so, did you
>> consider section 5.1 of the Grub Installation information?
>>
>> (For what it's worth, I don't recommend having a separate partition
>> for /boot.)
>>
>> Also, vmlinuz-2.6.32.59 doesn't look right; I think it should be
>> vmlinuz-2.6.32.59.el6 or so.
>>
>> I guess I should ask you to post /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab,
>> and the outpout of "df" and "ls -l /boot".
> No I have one partition in this case.
> /dev/sda1 is everything
> /dev/sda2 is swap
>
>
I sent that by accident I was still getting the other files.

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:23 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

On 09/17/2012 01:04 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 01:04 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
>>> Because of the information in a previous message, I think you have a
>>> separate partition for /boot. Is that the case and, if so, did you
>>> consider section 5.1 of the Grub Installation information?
>>>
>>> (For what it's worth, I don't recommend having a separate partition
>>> for /boot.)
>>>
>>> Also, vmlinuz-2.6.32.59 doesn't look right; I think it should be
>>> vmlinuz-2.6.32.59.el6 or so.
>>>
>>> I guess I should ask you to post /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab,
>>> and the outpout of "df" and "ls -l /boot".
>> No I have one partition in this case.
>> /dev/sda1 is everything
>> /dev/sda2 is swap
>>
>>
> I sent that by accident I was still getting the other files.
>
> Jerry

-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 106611 Jun 22 07:23 config-2.6.32-279.el6.i686
drwxr-xr-x. 3 root root 4096 Sep 13 16:03 efi
drwxr-xr-x. 2 root root 4096 Sep 16 21:29 grub
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 14689286 Sep 13 16:05
initramfs-2.6.32-279.el6.i686.img
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 9580046 Sep 14 09:24 initramfs-2.6.32.59.img
-rw-------. 1 root root 3573935 Sep 13 16:09
initrd-2.6.32-279.el6.i686kdump.img
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 175903 Jun 22 07:24 symvers-2.6.32-279.el6.i686.gz
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 Sep 14 09:24 System.map ->
/boot/System.map-2.6.32.59
-rw-r--r--. 1 root root 1846041 Jun 22 07:23 System.map-2.6.32-279.el6.i686
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1660822 Sep 14 09:24 System.map-2.6.32.59
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 23 Sep 14 09:24 vmlinuz ->
/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32.59
-rwxr-xr-x. 1 root root 3856608 Jun 22 07:23 vmlinuz-2.6.32-279.el6.i686
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3443520 Sep 14 09:24 vmlinuz-2.6.32.59

I cannot do "df" as currently there is no command as the file system is
not mounted.

I have built 2.6.32.59 as I needed to run the kernel without PAE.
I extracted the kernel on a KVM image, I did
cp /boot/config-2.6.32-279.el6.i686 .config
make oldconfig
make menuconfig
went to HIGH MEMORY Support and changed to 4GB.
did the make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install, make install
That's where I get the 2.6.32.59...

When booting the KVM image with the kernel I built it works fine.
I can even make the CF card look like a USB drive and boot it and it
works fine.
Its just when I go native CF in the device it says no root file system.

I have centos 5.X CF cards working just fine on my end target, I'm just
trying to get 6.X to run.

I'm sure its something small I am missing. I just havent found it.

Thanks,

jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 05:28 PM
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

Jerry Geis wrote:
> On 09/17/2012 01:04 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
>> On 09/17/2012 01:04 PM, Jerry Geis wrote:
>>>> Because of the information in a previous message, I think you have a
>>>> separate partition for /boot. Is that the case and, if so, did you
>>>> consider section 5.1 of the Grub Installation information?
>>>>
>>>> (For what it's worth, I don't recommend having a separate partition
>>>> for /boot.)
>>>>
>>>> Also, vmlinuz-2.6.32.59 doesn't look right; I think it should be
>>>> vmlinuz-2.6.32.59.el6 or so.
>>>>
>>>> I guess I should ask you to post /boot/grub/grub.conf and /etc/fstab,
>>>> and the outpout of "df" and "ls -l /boot".
>>> No I have one partition in this case.
>>> /dev/sda1 is everything
>>> /dev/sda2 is swap
<snip>
> I have built 2.6.32.59 as I needed to run the kernel without PAE.
> I extracted the kernel on a KVM image, I did
> cp /boot/config-2.6.32-279.el6.i686 .config
> make oldconfig
> make menuconfig
> went to HIGH MEMORY Support and changed to 4GB.
> did the make bzImage, make modules, make modules_install, make install
> That's where I get the 2.6.32.59...
<snip>
Hmmm... you built it. I missed that. Here's a thought: when you built it,
was it *running* on the cf card? If not, consider booting linux rescue,
chroot to the mounted filesystem, and rebuild initrfs, to make sure that
the driver for the cf card is in the init.....

mark

_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 
Old 09-17-2012, 06:21 PM
Jerry Geis
 
Default directory /dev/disk/by-label

> Hmmm... you built it. I missed that. Here's a thought: when you built it,
> was it *running* on the cf card? If not, consider booting linux rescue,
> chroot to the mounted filesystem, and rebuild initrfs, to make sure that
> the driver for the cf card is in the init.....
I dont have the external DVD with me at the moment.
Is there a way on the kVM image to say "include these modules"
with the "make install" command

Perhaps an /etc/sysconfig/[some file here] that says include these modules
in hte ram disk?

I think that might be it as the old 5.X has scsi modules loaded and the
KVM 6.X image does not have that....

Thanks,

Jerry
_______________________________________________
CentOS mailing list
CentOS@centos.org
http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:01 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org