-   -   Bonding Eth interfaces - unexpeceted results (http://www.linux-archive.org/centos/703812-bonding-eth-interfaces-unexpeceted-results.html)

"Turnbough, Bradley E." 09-14-2012 02:10 PM

Bonding Eth interfaces - unexpeceted results

CentOS 6.2.........

Why do the physical interfaces report (correctly) that they're negotiated at 1000Mb/s, but when I `cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0` I get 100Mbps for the member interfaces, and when I ` mii-tool bond0` I get 10Mbps for the bond?

ethtool em1

Settings for em1:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: Unknown
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes

ethtool em2
Settings for em2:
Supported ports: [ TP ]
Supported link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
Advertised link modes: 10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
1000baseT/Full
Advertised pause frame use: No
Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
Speed: 1000Mb/s
Duplex: Full
Port: Twisted Pair
PHYAD: 1
Transceiver: internal
Auto-negotiation: on
MDI-X: Unknown
Supports Wake-on: g
Wake-on: d
Link detected: yes

cat /proc/net/bonding/bond0
Ethernet Channel Bonding Driver: v3.6.0 (September 26, 2009)

Bonding Mode: load balancing (round-robin)
MII Status: up
MII Polling Interval (ms): 0
Up Delay (ms): 0
Down Delay (ms): 0

Slave Interface: em1
MII Status: up
Speed: 100 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Slave queue ID: 0

Slave Interface: em2
MII Status: up
Speed: 100 Mbps
Duplex: full
Link Failure Count: 0
Permanent HW addr: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
Slave queue ID: 0

mii-tool bond0
bond0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is appreciated.

"Paul Tader" 09-14-2012 02:24 PM

> [...]

> MII Status: up
> Speed: 100 Mbps
> Duplex: full
> Link Failure Count: 0
> Permanent HW addr: XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX
> Slave queue ID: 0

> mii-tool bond0
> bond0: 10 Mbit, half duplex, link ok
> This e-mail transmission contains information that is confidential and may
> be privileged. It is intended only for the addressee(s) named above. If
> you receive this e-mail in error, please do not read, copy or disseminate
> it in any manner. If you are not the intended recipient, any disclosure,
> copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is
> prohibited. Please reply to the message immediately by informing the
> sender that the message was misdirected. After replying, please erase it
> from your computer system. Your assistance in correcting this error is

Just one piece of the puzzle...

>From mii-tool man page:

"This program is obsolete. Valid media are only 100baseT4,
100baseTx-FD,100baseTx-HD, 10baseT-FD and 10baseT-HD ethernet cards. For
replacement check ethtool."

Paul