Old 09-13-2012, 08:30 PM

Default Partition large disk

Hi, Tony,

Tony Molloy wrote:

> I have a 24TB RAID6 disk with a GPT partition table on it. I need to
> partition it into 2 partitions one of 16TB and 1 of 8TB to put ext4
> filesystems on both. But I really need to do this remotely. ( if I can
> get to the site I could use gparted )
>
> Now fdisk doesn't understand GPT partition tables and pat

You have to use either parted or gparted, and as much as I prefer command
line, parted is user hostile; gparted's just the gui on top of parted. It
works fine, AFAIK, though I've only used it on 3TB drives.

mark

Old 09-13-2012, 09:24 PM
Keith Keller

On 2012-09-13, m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Tony Molloy wrote:
>>
>> I have a 24TB RAID6 disk with a GPT partition table on it. I need to
>> partition it into 2 partitions one of 16TB and 1 of 8TB to put ext4
>> filesystems on both. But I really need to do this remotely. ( if I can
>> get to the site I could use gparted )
>>
>> Now fdisk doesn't understand GPT partition tables and pat
>
> You have to use either parted or gparted, and as much as I prefer command
> line, parted is user hostile; gparted's just the gui on top of parted. It
> works fine, AFAIK, though I've only used it on 3TB drives.

I've used parted on 10TB and up disk arrays with no problems. I
wouldn't call parted's CLI "hostile", but I would definitely suggest
having the docs close by.

--keith

--
kkeller@wombat.san-francisco.ca.us

Old 09-13-2012, 09:30 PM

Keith Keller wrote:
> On 2012-09-13, m.roth@5-cent.us <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Tony Molloy wrote:
>>>
>>> I have a 24TB RAID6 disk with a GPT partition table on it. I need to
>>> partition it into 2 partitions one of 16TB and 1 of 8TB to put ext4
>>> filesystems on both. But I really need to do this remotely. ( if I can
>>> get to the site I could use gparted )
>>>
>>> Now fdisk doesn't understand GPT partition tables and pat
>>
>> You have to use either parted or gparted, and as much as I prefer
>> command line, parted is user hostile; gparted's just the gui on top
>> of parted. It works fine, AFAIK, though I've only used it on 3TB drives.
>
> I've used parted on 10TB and up disk arrays with no problems. I
> wouldn't call parted's CLI "hostile", but I would definitely suggest
> having the docs close by.

Hostile: I start parted up with -optimum, and it still doesn't set the
default start for a partition by itself, nor does it suggest in any way,
shape, or form what it wants you to do. You have to google to find out.

mark

Old 09-13-2012, 09:38 PM
Lamar Owen

Install gdisk from EPEL. Syntax is very similar to fdisk, and saner if you're used to fdisk versus parted. Home page is at http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

Old 09-14-2012, 03:26 AM
"James A. Peltier"

| I have a 24TB RAID6 disk with a GPT partition table on it. I need to
| partition it into 2 partitions one of 16TB and 1 of 8TB to put ext4
| filesystems on both. But I really need to do this remotely. ( if I
| can
| get to the site I could use gparted )
|
| Now fdisk doesn't understand GPT partition tables and pat

Is there any reason why you can't just use a whole disk LVM PV and then use LVM to create VGs and LVs of the required size?

--
James A. Peltier
Manager, IT Services - Research Computing Group

Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached
in life but as by the obstacles they have overcome. - Booker T. Washington

Old 09-14-2012, 08:07 AM
Tony Molloy

On Thursday 13 September 2012 21:16:33 Tony Molloy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a 24TB RAID6 disk with a GPT partition table on it. I need
> to partition it into 2 partitions one of 16TB and 1 of 8TB to put
> ext4 filesystems on both. But I really need to do this remotely. (
> if I can get to the site I could use gparted )
>
> Now fdisk doesn't understand GPT partition tables and pat

OOPS that was fat fingers. I didn't mean to send it.

I figured out parted can do the job for me but the interface is not the
best. Can't use gparted as I said I have to do this remotely.

I'll certainly have a look at gdisk

Sorry for the noise. I'll let people know how I get on after the
weekend.

Tony

Old 09-14-2012, 08:26 AM
Laurent

Le 2012-09-14 10:07, Tony Molloy a écrit*:

> OOPS that was fat fingers. I didn't mean to send it.
>
> I figured out parted can do the job for me but the interface is not
> the
> best. Can't use gparted as I said I have to do this remotely.

Even if you need to do this remotely, you can use gparted through ssh
with X11 forwarding.

> I'll certainly have a look at gdisk
>
> Sorry for the noise. I'll let people know how I get on after the
> weekend.

If you consider resizing your RAID volumes one day, I'll recommend the
already proposed solution: use LVM, with physical volume directly on the
disk device. No partitionning. Why ? Because, as far as I known, parted
developers has decided to remove the unmaintained/old code to resize
ext* filesystems from parted.

I don't know about gdisk features. Perhaps, it can do better than
parted...

Laurent.

Old 09-14-2012, 05:37 PM
Lamar Owen

On Friday, September 14, 2012 04:26:11 AM Laurent wrote:
> I don't know about gdisk features. Perhaps, it can do better than
> parted...

The feature set of gdisk is virtually identical to the feature set of fdisk, as 'gdisk' means 'GPT fdisk.'

No filesystem resizing support, AFAIK.

Old 09-15-2012, 08:06 AM
Tony Molloy

On Friday 14 September 2012 09:26:11 Laurent wrote:
> Le 2012-09-14 10:07, Tony Molloy a écrit :
> > OOPS that was fat fingers. I didn't mean to send it.
> >
> > I figured out parted can do the job for me but the interface is
> > not the
> > best. Can't use gparted as I said I have to do this remotely.
>
> Even if you need to do this remotely, you can use gparted through
> ssh with X11 forwarding.

Worked like a dream. Can't understand how I didn't think of looking
for an rpm of gparted. I only ever used the live-cd version before.
Thanks.

> > I'll certainly have a look at gdisk
> >
> > Sorry for the noise. I'll let people know how I get on after the
> > weekend.
>
> If you consider resizing your RAID volumes one day, I'll recommend
> the already proposed solution: use LVM, with physical volume
> directly on the disk device. No partitionning. Why ? Because, as
> far as I known, parted developers has decided to remove the
> unmaintained/old code to resize ext* filesystems from parted.

The partition sizes required are fixed for their lifetime so LVM is not
needed only adding complexity.

Tony