Old 09-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Jussi Hirvi

Default Monitoring VM loads

I am using CentOS 5, and kvm virtualization.

My VM stack (about 10 v-machines) now often gets painfully slow,
probably because of IO limitations. How could I find out where the load
comes from?

virt-top on the host only shows the processor load. For this situation,
it is not very useful.

It would be more useful to see on the host a list of VM "load averages",
because load average at least contains IO, in addition to CPU load. Is
this possible?

- Jussi

Old 09-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Dennis Jacobfeuerborn

On 09/13/2012 12:44 PM, Jussi Hirvi wrote:
> I am using CentOS 5, and kvm virtualization.
>
> My VM stack (about 10 v-machines) now often gets painfully slow,
> probably because of IO limitations. How could I find out where the load
> comes from?
>
> virt-top on the host only shows the processor load. For this situation,
> it is not very useful.
>
> It would be more useful to see on the host a list of VM "load averages",
> because load average at least contains IO, in addition to CPU load. Is
> this possible?

Under KVM Guests are just regular processes on the Host system which means
you can use all the standard tools like vmstat, iostat, etc. to get these
values. In order to get the "load" for the individual VMs you should
monitor the same values in the Guests themselves.

Regards,
Dennis